TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   What do you think about Alcohol? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t10712-what-do-you-think-about-alcohol/)

SuperBrunetteCutie4Ever April 10th 2009 06:37 PM

What do you think about Alcohol?

Hey, I'm curious on your opinions on Alcohol. Here are my questions:
Have you ever had alcohol?
If so, how old were you then?
Why did you have alcohol?
How much did you have?
Hangover or not?
How bad?
If you haven't had alcohol, what are your thoughts on it?
If you could tell a younger family member/friend one thing about alcohol, what would you say? Why?
Do you ever regret drinking alcohol for the first time?
Anything else about this topic I missed.
thanks.
Maybe I'll answer these questions later. Not now though. I don't feel like it.

Twisted April 10th 2009 06:44 PM

Re: What do you think about Alcohol?

yes.
i think i was about 15.
not sure, just wanted to try it i guess.
How much did you have?
not much, first time i drank it i didn't really get drunk. about 2 glasses i think.
Hangover or not?
nah.
How bad?
n/a
n/a
If you could tell a younger family member/friend one thing about alcohol, what would you say? Why?
if you're going to do it do it responsibly, don't drink to fast and try to be safe and with someone who has drunk before.
nah, it has never affected my life in a negative way, i do it socially and have never felt like i needed it to function.

bitesize April 10th 2009 06:51 PM

Yep.

Well you might be given the occasional glass of champagne or whatever when you're younger, but first time I drank it with my friends was fifteen.

We were curious.

How much did you have?
A couple of cans each ^^

Hangover or not?
Nope. We were very hangover-conscious and drank buckets of water before we slept, even though we weren't more than tipsy (:

How bad?
Nothing.

N/A

I would warn my brother to stay away from spirits for a few years, and to start out slowly and gradually.

No. Most of my peers start drinking at around fourteen, so we were late bloomers ;)

thanks.

Nothing I can see!!

SuperBrunetteCutie4Ever April 10th 2009 06:55 PM

Yes
I was pressured into it by my mom's ex
How much did you have?
at least 8 glasses of a mixed drink maybe more
Hangover or not?
yeah
How bad?
really bad. I felt sick, wanted to puke, headache, and VERY unhappy
N/A
If you want to drink, do it for the right reasons and have someone that you trust with your life and is responsible.
Yes. It bugs me everyday

myra1994 April 10th 2009 07:12 PM

Yes

To escape
How much did you have?

1/4 pnt Sothern Comfort
Hangover or not?

not

It's not all it's cracked up to be. because i was let down at the limited effect it had on me.

not really

lauren_160 April 10th 2009 07:42 PM

Yes.

Urm, i had the occasional glass from about 9/10, hah (i have older brothers) but the first time i got drunk was 12.

Because we were talking about getting drunk, so we thought we'd try it.
How much did you have?
Urm, a bottle of lambrini and half a bottle of cider (Y) haha.

Hangover or not?
Nopre, i never used to get them untill i started drinking a lot.

How bad?

Don't mix drinks untill you can handle it, and don't mix drink and drugs, it's bad times haha.

Nope.

Christinaa317o8 April 10th 2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperBrunetteCutie4Ever (Post 110209)
yes.
Peer Pressure, convinced it'd be fun
How much did you have?
enough to get drunk
Hangover or not?
I've had one before
How bad?
So bad I never drank again
My thoughts have copmpletely changed so I'm answering this. Drinking is stupid, and illegal under 21. It creates deaths and addictions.
Do not ever touch alcohol, especially under 21. When you start to drink at a young age you are more likely to have an addiction. Do not use alcohol as an anti-depressent. My dad choked to death when his alcohol level was nearly twice the legal limit. It was an accident that caused him to die. If you do drink drink responsbly, and never try and drive a car. Never get in a car with someone who has been drinking even if its an adult.
Yes.
thanks.
Maybe I'll answer these questions later. Not now though. I don't feel like it.

Alcohol's consequnces are often underestimated until one affects you personally.

soul April 10th 2009 08:13 PM

Yes
I really have no idea. Growing up my parents would give me a sip of their wine or mixed drinks if I wanted. However, the first time I got drunk I think I was 12.
I tried alcohol because I was curious. I kept drinking because for the most part I enjoy it.
How much did you have?
When I was young it was only sips here and there. When I was 12 and got drunk for the first time I spilt a bottle of Champagne with my friend at Christmas.
Hangover or not?
No hangover the first time but I tend to get them every time I drink now D:
How bad?
I'm prone to headaches so having a super hangover headache is no fun.
I have had alcohol but I'll give you my thoughts anyways... I think it is fine in moderation.
I would tell them to try and find out their limits early on and not push those limits. I would also warn them that they are bound to make some mistakes while drunk and they need to watch out for themselves. I would talk to them about the dangers of drinking and driving and let them know if they are ever in trouble they can call me no questions asked. I'd also give them a few tips about dos and don'ts of drinking. Finally, I would ask them if they really think they are ready for this and if they think they are mature enough to stay safe.
Nope

Have fun and be safe everyone :smile

Lots of love <3 Mimi

Fucking Done April 10th 2009 08:19 PM

Yes.

Can't really remember, I prob thought it was cool or some shit aha.

How much did you have?
Pint of vodka(lol i'm still a lightweight)

Hangover or not?
Kind of.

How bad?
Meh my hangovers come and go diff parts of the day. So not too bad.

N/A

Eat before you start, and keep drinking water inbetween. Oh and don't get carried away drinking every chance you get.

Do you ever regret drinking alcohol for the first time? Ummm, naw it's fun.

InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU April 10th 2009 09:30 PM

Yes.
Around 13-14 or so.
We were at a family party and I saw everyone else drinking it, so I wondered, if everyone is having it, then it must be pretty good.
How much did you have?
I'm not exactly sure. My cousin (a year or two younger) also had some and we both got pretty sick.
Hangover or not?
Yes.
How bad?
Like having a bull smash on your head with its hooves over and over again.
N/A
"You're not missing anything if you intend to get drunk. If you want to try a bit, go ahead"
No. I'm well aware of the various consequences (from courses in medical pharmacology, 2nd year university biology courses, etc...). I don't drink anymore though, that time was one of the very few times I actually do drink. I like to have chocolate brandy candies as the volume of alcohol is so small and I don't have a lot at once.
If you don't want to answer the questions you gave, then why bother asking others? Also, why the large font?

Xujhan April 10th 2009 10:19 PM

Yes.

I've been drinking a half-glass of wine at dinner with my family for longer than I can remember, but my first time drinking heavily was when I was 16, at a friend's birthday party.

There was lots to go around, and I'm happy to try almost anything once. That, and Smirnoff Ice tasted quite good.

How much did you have?
Eight coolers, according to my mate. I don't actually remember the last couple, or the last couple hours of that night.

Hangover or not?
Surprisingly no. I can drink myself stupid, and the worst I have the next day is a slightly queasy stomach.

How bad?
Well, I had at some point passed out on the floor, and I woke up around 5 in the morning. Staggered home across town, got another hour of sleep, had to be up at 7 to go to a curling tournament, and I played well. So, not too bad. :P

N/A

Unless you're planning to avoid alcohol forever, get steaming drunk at least once just so you know where your limit is. These days I can pretty reliably stop myself at the point of being tipsy but not drunk, or the point of being drunk but not ill.

No, not at all. It was fun, my friends and I had a good time, it gave us a few things to laugh over afterward, and we even did well at the curling tournament. :)

I guess you could ask how people's first experiences with alcohol affect their current drinking habits.

BigBL87 April 10th 2009 11:27 PM

Yes
I had my first drink knowingly @ age 20. Friends had given me drinks that I didn't realize contained alcohol when I was 18.
I was in the UK and was therefore legal there, and went to a pub with friends. It was just a natural thing to do.
How much did you have?
At that time, I just had 1 Captain & Coke. The most I've ever had was 3 beers (which at my size is nothing).
Hangover or not?
Never been drunk, so no.
How bad?
N/A
N/A
When you're legal, it's enjoyable in moderation. Abusing it can quickly lead to negative effets
Nope

Katie Lydia April 10th 2009 11:32 PM

Have you ever had alcohol? Yes, i drink socially.
If so, how old were you then? 13, id have at special occasions but began drinking socially at 14/15.
Why did you have alcohol? I felt i was missing out and also wanted to feel drunk.
How much did you have? First time, hardly any but if im on a night out i'll drink as much as i please.
Hangover or not? Yeah if im really drunk.
How bad? Quite bad, i once woke up and there was a pile of sick next to my bed.
If you haven't had alcohol, what are your thoughts on it? N/A
If you could tell a younger family member/friend one thing about alcohol, what would you say? Why? Don't do it cause other kids are doing it, do it when you feel mature enough to handle it.
Do you ever regret drinking alcohol for the first time? No.

thexlastxnightx7 April 10th 2009 11:38 PM

yesh
idunno why not?
How much did you have?
hmm i wasnt like extremelyy drunk..but drunk
Hangover or not?
yesh
How bad?
heh pretty bad
like it;]
if your going to drink, do it wiff me..and no dudes..no driving.
no i dont, i enjoyed it when i did drink.it was tasty alsoxD ...im sucha bad infulence...-.-

Barbed Lungs April 10th 2009 11:58 PM

Yep.
because friends were.
How much did you have?
A lot.
Hangover or not?
Nope.
How bad?
N/A
Don't drink it, it may be fun at the time but it makes you do stupid stuff.
Yes, I had to support two very very drunk friends off of a country park. in the dark. Whilst I was very drunk too.

a_girlsdreams April 11th 2009 01:36 AM

Yes.

Me and my friends took it from her house and we just wanted it.

How much did you have?
It wasnt really a lot. We had a small bottle of vanillia vodka and danced in the rain.

Hangover or not?
I didnt have one for the first time. But Ive had them in the past.

How bad?
Sometimes headaches, usually tired and cranky. But for some stranger reason, Im good at taking tests hungover, loll.

I deff have more than one thing to say to them. Lol. I would tell them to know their limit and dont try and show off or do something they know they cant handle. You arent trying to impress anyone. Also, I would tell them to drink with friends and stick together. If there are people you dont know that youre drinking around, try to stay with you friends and be safe. DONT drive and drink nor get in the car with anyone youve been drinking with. I would tell them which drinks or good and what to try. And if they needed anything to call someone they can trust. I would tell them all this because I care about them and they should be mature enough not to abuse alcohol beyond their limits.

Noppe. I was with my best friends and it was only a little. No one get plastered and we were having so much fun in the rain.

SuperBrunetteCutie4Ever April 11th 2009 05:31 PM

I did answer it I just didn't feel like answering the questions at that moment in time. And as for the large font, I just like it. :D

NuHalo April 11th 2009 07:04 PM

Yush

Uh, I started when I was 17. Legal at 18.

To see what it was like.

How much did you have?
Uh, i've had varying amounts between a few sips and boatloads.

Hangover or not?
Sure.

How bad?
Uh, what?

N/A

Be careful and drink responsibly, and tell me what happens when you get back!

Nope.

leex1123 April 12th 2009 04:10 AM

yeah
i was with friends and i wanted to try it
How much did you have?
not to much
Hangover or not?
no
How bad?
I would tell them ocasionly its ok to drink and have fun as long as they are responsible and dont do it to much
Do you ever regret drinking alcohol for the first time
yes and no.. no because i think its fun and i like it but no because i drink way to much and it caused alot of problems with my friends and family so i regret starting

Bethie April 12th 2009 05:40 PM

Yep.
I've drank pretty regularly since I was around...15?
I was on a night out, everyone was drinking and there was a bar so it just seemed the natural thing to do.
How much did you have?
Not that much, two wkds at the most.
Hangover or not?
Not.
How bad?
Not.
If you want to drink, fine, but don't get into a drunken state because you'll definately regret it and it can seriously ruin your reputation.
Not for the first time, nope.

wanderlust April 12th 2009 05:49 PM

Yes

aside from the odd tipple, i think my first proper time was 14 or 15.

Curiosity.

How much did you have?
A couple of alcopops

Hangover or not?
Very small one, even though I wasnt a whole lot more than tipsy. Bit embarassing really lol

How bad?
I just felt a bit sick during double science (though it could just be repulsion of the subject/teacher at the time lol)

N/A

Just do it in a safe place. I would recommend not drinking with the opposite sex until you know your limits and aren't stupid about it, cos you could do something you regret that could ruin a reputation or friendship. Also dont do the dog on it and stop drinking when youre drunk. And dont be annoyingly blatant about being drunk, you will piss everyone off despite how cool you feel.

No. I was a bit of a late starter actually. Ive never really been in trouble for drinking and Ive never done anything stupid, so no!

maybe where people where able to get their drink?(sometimes its still hard, but getting easier with 18yr old friends lol)

Emma. April 12th 2009 05:53 PM

I have
Erm, about 14
New Year
How much did you have?
One bottle
Hangover or not?
Noo
How bad?
Don't overdo it, just because some of my family have overdone and one's an alkie.
Nope.

wanderlust April 12th 2009 06:28 PM

Yes

aside from the odd tipple, i think my first proper time was 14 or 15.

Curiosity.

How much did you have?
A couple of alcopops

Hangover or not?
Very small one, even though I wasnt a whole lot more than tipsy. Bit embarassing really lol

How bad?
I just felt a bit sick during double science (though it could just be repulsion of the subject/teacher at the time lol)

N/A

Just do it in a safe place. I would recommend not drinking with the opposite sex until you know your limits and aren't stupid about it, cos you could do something you regret that could ruin a reputation or friendship. Also dont do the dog on it and stop drinking when youre drunk. And dont be annoyingly blatant about being drunk, you will piss everyone off despite how cool you feel.

No. I was a bit of a late starter actually. Ive never really been in trouble for drinking and Ive never done anything stupid, so no!

maybe where people where able to get their drink?(sometimes its still hard, but getting easier with 18yr old friends lol)

urgbogdurgbog April 12th 2009 07:08 PM

Have you ever had alcohol? Yes
If so, how old were you then? 17
Why did you have alcohol? cus my friend said it was fun
How much did you have? first time? a 40oz of malt.
Hangover or not? yeah
How bad? didn't want to open my eyes
If you haven't had alcohol, what are your thoughts on it? b4 i had i didn't care either way
If you could tell a younger family member/friend one thing about alcohol, what would you say? Why? know your limits
Do you ever regret drinking alcohol for the first time? no

emilyjaynescott April 12th 2009 08:07 PM

Yup

um.. first time probably about 11

well it was a family thing, u know, cheese, wine, crackers lol
How much did you have?

couple of glasses of wine, not much
Hangover or not?

nope
How bad?

didnt get one, dont usually get them now either

n/a

just try to be sensible, obviously if you tell someone not to drink chances are they'd drink more than they ever would have. so just dont go too crazy too quickly, allow your body to work up.

nah not at all

LMFAOsabrina April 12th 2009 10:45 PM

Yes, unfortunately

I was 12.. It was actually about 2 weeks ago D:

I was curious, along with my other friends

How much did you have?
I had barely any beer, and a few shots of vodka (5-7? And that stuff is stronger than I thought.)

Hangover or not?
Unfortunately

How bad?
It was pretty bad, I had to go to school with the hangover.

I had alcohol but I'll answer this... It tastes terrible, and its not worth it at all.

Don't ever drink it, cause you could definitely die on it, and it will hurt the people around you when you drink. It tastes terrible, and the hangovers are really bad.

I regret drinking alcohol A LOT, and I'm never, ever going to drink again. I'm not going to put any sort of alcohol near my lips.

Seeen April 13th 2009 01:18 AM

yes
party
How much did you have?
12-15 shots ish
Hangover or not?
yes
How bad?
dont remember
dont be fucking dumb when your all drunk
nope

Hyper Sonic April 13th 2009 01:27 AM

I know alcohol is of the form
Code:

R-OH
. There are two lone pairs on the oxygen atom and the COH bond is 109 degrees.
A lot of them are toxic, ethanol (R=CH3CH2) is among the safest. They are used in ester formation and can undergo dehydration to the corresponding alkene. Primary and secondary alcohols can be oxidised using acidified potassium dichromate (VI) (K2Cr2O7) to an aldehyde then a carboxylic acid (under reflux) for primary alcohols and a ketone for secondary alcohols.

:bleh: :bleh:

Quote:

Yeah
Because I wanted to
How much did you have?
6 double JD and cokes
Hangover or not?
Not
How bad?
N/A
N/A
Drink in moderation - the hangover isn't worth it
No
People should be free to make their own mistakes regarding it.

Losing_Control April 13th 2009 01:29 AM

Quote:

Yes

Quote:

First time, I was 13.

Quote:

At a party

Quote:

How much did you have?

Honestly, I don't remember.

Quote:

Hangover or not?

Yes

Quote:

How bad?

It was my first one, so at the time it felt horrible...but I've definitely had worse since then.

Quote:

Alcohol isn't always what it is cracked up to be. Yeah, drinking at parties is a lot of fun. I know it definitely makes me less tense and more relaxed, but bad things happen more often than you realize. I would tell them this, because I've had my experiences with people getting alcohol poisoning, etc.

Quote:

Yes.

s_tor_m April 13th 2009 03:34 AM

Yes
uhm, 16? i think
Because my sister was drinking and I wanted to try..basically just curiosity of what it feels like
How much did you have?
Like 3 glasses and a couple shots
Hangover or not?
I had a slight headache but nothing major
How bad?
-read above-
n/a
Depends on their age. But basically I would just tell them to be responsible about it, only drink if there's someone you can trust with you. And don't make it a daily thing
No, I don't have regrets. However I was really stupid because I ended up going to my friends house, and her dad is a cop who can smell alcohol a mile away.

forsakenam0r April 13th 2009 08:52 AM

I think teenage drinking is ridiculous and people any younger than like 18 shouldn't be drinking. I've been to a couple parties where there are high schoolers there and it absolutely disgusts me that people would actually invite high schoolers to parties. They are always the ones who are freaking dumb, overly slutty, and don't know their limits. And people who buy these kids alcohol should think about what they're doing. /rant

tk338 April 13th 2009 11:14 PM

yeahh
first time properly.. 18 :L
Peer pressure, and I just wanted to loosen up :p
How much did you have?
Its been from one bottle of WKD to goodness knows how much vodka on an empty stomach...
Hangover or not?
Never... well a headache but not as bad as some get it =]
How bad?
Not at all :)
n/a
Do it legally, but while your young, make the mistakes why your young, and don't be new to it when your older...
never... I think its amazing, I love the fact you can forget everything while 'under the influence' It makes me really happy =]

SugarcoatedLetdown17 April 13th 2009 11:43 PM

Yes
First got drunk, 12.
Umm, I was at a party with a bunch of older kids, and they kept saying I was immature and scared to try it, so being young and stupid, I proved that i wasn't.
How much did you have?
I think I drank a whole bottle of blue raspberry vodka by myself. yikes.
Hangover or not?
Never had one
How bad?
N/A
n/a

I would say that I don't reccomend it, but I wouldn't tell them not to try it. Why, because I know from experience that if you tell a kid they can't do something, they'll want to do it even more, and they'll sneak around and do it behind your back.
In ways, yes, but nothing bad came of it. And I still to this day haven't met anyone but my boyfriend who can outdrink me. (:

losing touch. April 14th 2009 12:02 AM

yes

for the first time? i was probably about 12 i suppose

because everyone else was

How much did you have?
first time? far too much..

Hangover or not?
woke up in hospital.. yes.. it was pretty horrible actually.

How bad?
not the worst i've ever had.. but its up there.

no

Hyper Sonic April 14th 2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forsakenam0r (Post 112901)
I think teenage drinking is ridiculous and people any younger than like 18 shouldn't be drinking. I've been to a couple parties where there are high schoolers there and it absolutely disgusts me that people would actually invite high schoolers to parties. They are always the ones who are freaking dumb, overly slutty, and don't know their limits. And people who buy these kids alcohol should think about what they're doing. /rant

Which is why Continental Europe is awash with teenage binge drinking :rolleyes:

It seems to be largely an educational thing, learning to drink wisely with food and in small amounts rather than just going out. Apparently, American and British parents do not seem to instil such values leaving children to pick the values themselves

BrittneyNicole April 14th 2009 12:37 AM

Have you ever had alcohol? -No.
If so, how old were you then? -N/A
Why did you have alcohol? -N/A
How much did you have? -N/A
Hangover or not? -N/A
How bad? -N/A
If you haven't had alcohol, what are your thoughts on it? -I don't really like it. It makes people look like idiots and it impairs judgements and leads to deaths of innocent people. Not to mention, a million ETOH calls get annoying.
If you could tell a younger family member/friend one thing about alcohol, what would you say? Why? -Don't start drinking.
Do you ever regret drinking alcohol for the first time? -N/A

Magical Forest. April 14th 2009 09:38 AM

Yes I have

When I first tried it I was like 13, but that was like a sip of whatever. I guess the first time I had anything more than that was 14.

Because I wanted to know what it was all about, wanted to know what the feeling was. I was feeling down and heard that it could make you feel good so wanted to try it.

How much did you have?
First time I drank anything more than a sip was 2 alcopops.

Hangover or not?
No, wasn't enough at all to get me drunk. Tho I've had some pretty bad hangovers.

How bad?
Being sick, not eating anything, headache.

Don't drink until you're mature enough to understand the effect of it.

No I don't.

Gemma =] April 14th 2009 12:40 PM

Yes

First time drinking with my friends I was 12 but had a few at family parties and things before.

Because I wanted to see what it tasted like, what it did to you.

How much did you have?
That first time with my friends, I had a quarter bottle of vodka I think.
Which was actualy alot considering I was extremely thin at the time and had eaten that day.

Hangover or not?
Nope, I can drink amazing amounts of alcohol without getting a hangover, it's great!
I've only ever had one hangover and that's because I started drinking around 8pm one evening and we kept going till 6am the next day, which was a school day :| Worst day of my life! lol

How bad?
That one hangover was sooo bad. I had a headache, was dehydrated, couldn't concentrate, couldn't eat, felt constantly sick and desperately needed sleep!

/

Don't let people who've had bad experiences with alcohol put you off, it's not this evil thing that people make it out to be. People only get that attitude towards alcohol when they've used it irresponsibly. As long as you start out slow, keep an eye on how it is affecting you, then stop when you feel it getting too much, you'll be fine. Everything in moderation!

Not at all. You need to start somewhere, and the sooner you learn your own personal limits, the better.

Jack April 14th 2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Yes. :p
Quote:

Well my mother used to put brandy in my bottle to make me sleep when I was little. But drinking properly I was about 9? I used to have a glass of wine every day with my meal anyway. First time I drank to get drunk was probably 13.
Quote:

Because it was nice, adult, sociable and gave me a nice buzzed feeling. It also went well with my meal.

If you mean the first time I drank to get drunk: Then, Because it was fun. Yeah not the most mature attitude I realise, but I was 13. Gimme a break. :p
Quote:

How much did you have?
A glass and a bit, every day.

If you mean the first time I drank to get drunk: Then, I had about 12 cans and half a bottle of vodka. >.<
Quote:

Hangover or not?
Nope
Quote:

How bad?
N/A
Quote:

N/A
Quote:

When pouring a beer tip the glass on its side, you get less head that way. :p

I wouldn't give them a lecture because I assume they would (a) already know (most kids do) and (b) wouldn't listen even if I did. I'm not one for forcing help on people when it's not asked for.
Quote:

Nope, not at all. I'm very glad I did actually. A life without even a little alcohol would seem very dull to me.

Hdjdjdjduvieg April 14th 2009 02:55 PM

Yes.

I was at a party. Everyone was drinking. I thought I'd give it a go.

How much did you have?
Too much.

Hangover or not?
Can't remember

How bad?
Probably not that bad.

I have and I think it's a stupid thing to do unless you're of age and just drinking socially. Drinking until you vomit is not cool. It's disgusting.

If you could tell a younger family member/friend one thing
about alcohol, what would you say? Why?
Need for alcohol or any other substance is nothing more than a flaw in character. You can't have fun on your own so you need a chemical stimulant. It's pointles. Social drinking to loosen up is fine, but getting smashed and acting like a fool is gross, unattractive and you do things you'll regret. It's not worth it. Have fun naturally in other ways. Once you pick up the bottle, you'll not be able to have real fun again.

Yes. It was stupid, pointless and ruined my clean record. Haven't had it since, and won't have it again, though.