TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PaleBlueShine Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation Drinking Too Much??? - March 13th 2013, 10:59 PM

When I was working I was drinking once or twice a week on the weekends. I don't go out and party but I would get slightly drunk or heavily buzzed and game on my laptop, watch tv, play with my cat, chat with roomie. For some reason I find lots of music I like when I'm buzzed- I like it.

But how much is too much drinking? I know the whole no more than __ drinks a week but I don't really follow that. Everyone has a different alcohol tolerance. I usually drink vodka/rum with some soda.

For the past over 2 weeks It's been every other night or every 2 nights. It's only at night when I have no where I need to be. I will admit, It helps my boredom, is that bad? When I'm with friends and family I don't usually think about drinking. Only like... Man, what am I going to do tonight? Have a few drinks is sometimes the case because I literally don't have much to do since I"m not working.

I DO think a lot of the time that I'm just overly sensitive about my drinking because my father is a functioning alcoholic. He wakes up and has beer, beer for lunch, dinner. But It's never caused any problems so It doesn't bother me. I just don't want to get like my mother was, she did meth for almost 20 years.

I just need some unbiased guidance. I've asked my roommate and boyfriend if I drink too much and they said no.

Do I just like drinking or do I have a problem?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Drinking Too Much??? - March 13th 2013, 11:25 PM

Most people go with "If you drink alone you have a problem." personally I don't completely agree with that. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a few drinks alone at night when you have nowhere else to be. I think it's a problem when you choose to drink at home alone over doing other things like going out with friends or spending time with family.
From what you've said, I don't personally think you have a problem. It's not like you're getting plastered at home and tying your cat to a ceiling fan to see what happens. You have self control, you're not hurting yourself or others, and you're not avoiding other activities so you can hide in your cave and drink.
I think you're fine.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
THE FAPMAN Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mr. Fap

Re: Drinking Too Much??? - March 13th 2013, 11:57 PM

Hmm... Well, i drink when im bored too, when i feel the need, when i want to forget, so i get drunk, and lie on my bed, cursing on life... And when im out, i get drunk or high, and basically have fun with friends, i throw up on the way home, drink some coffee and im sober...
Youre fine... But im not... xD
I had some period when i was drunk all the time... My friend died in a war... I was drunk for 4 days straight... Parents didnt say a word... And they are superstrict... But they knew how important he was to me, so they left me alone... So no, youre just fine...

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PaleBlueShine Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Drinking Too Much??? - March 14th 2013, 01:14 AM

I won't lie, there are a few nights where I get PRETTY intoxicated. But I take care of myself, shower, drink several bottles of water, take my multi-vitamins before bed along with a small snack. I'm not having like 1 or 2 beers, I'll have a small bottle of vodka, sometimes more. But I everyone else has different alcohol tolerances.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Terry Offline
Canadian Bacon
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Terry

Re: Drinking Too Much??? - March 14th 2013, 03:43 PM

Functionality-wise it probably isn't a problem, but every other night is a bit much for your system by having that constant flow through your liver etc. It's not just about tolerance when it comes to organ and brain health, not to mention the body burns the alcohol before fat and a steady ingestion of alcohol for extended periods of time is an easy way to gain weight. I see no use in also pointing out that all addiction problems start somewhere, but I figured I would just in case.

That being said I'm quite neutral when it comes to alcohol, I'm by no means against it, drinking occasionally with friends is perfectly fine and can often add to a social experience (if you don't get completely plastered).

Self pity will not rescue you.
Sometimes we have to save our own lives,
not because no one else cares, but because no one else can.

Life for you has been less than kind
So take a number, stand in line
We've all been sorry, we've all been hurt
But how we survive is what makes us who we are.

Dreamed up the maps, give me the charcoal and the paper
We invent paths they cannot see, and they're too scared to walk

Only after disaster can we be resurrected. It's only after you've lost everything that you are free to do anything.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Drinking Too Much??? - March 14th 2013, 05:38 PM

I kind of agree with the first response in that "if you drink alone you have a problem". I don't think this is true. For example, I live by myself, so if I want to have a glass of wine with supper it means that I am technically drinking alone, but no one would ever say that sometimes having a glass of wine with dinner or what ever is a problem.

I think, first of all, you should look at whether or not you can stop drinking. If you drink because it's just something you enjoy doing sometimes then I wouldn't worry about it. You might be a heavier drinker (or regular drinker, choose you term there) but if you can control how much you drink/when you drink then you don't necessarily have "that kind" of a problem, like you probably aren't an alcoholic if you can just... stop yourself...

But the next problem is how it's actually affecting your brain. Part of the reason why there are drinking ages (ex. 18, 19 for Canada or 21 for the USA or you get like X age for actually drinking when ever but a kid have have wine at dinner at X age in some countries) is because there is evidence to show that alcohol can affect the development of the brain. So drinking far to much at a young age (or technically ever) can be negative in that way. It's not necessarily bad to drink the odd time and again when your young (even to excess) but drinking all the time can be bad for your brain. So continuing on it can put a lot of pressure on your liver as well because the alcohol is worked through there and your kidneys (it's why so many alcoholics end up with liver cancer/failure). AND alcohol has a lot of sugars and such so it can cause weight gain amongst other health problems there. Just drinking on occasion won't necessarily be dramatic in respects to your health cause your body isn't always trying to deal with this. But if your drinking a lot then it can have negative impacts on your body, some which I already explained.

So I think you need to consider that information and decide whether you should cut back or not.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Drinking Too Much??? - March 18th 2013, 02:47 PM

Drinking alone is not the problem, but the amount that you are drinking is. You are drinking a small bottle of vodka on your own? The physical repercussions of that alone should worry you. There are serious problems that can come from drinking heavily, liver failure, heart failure, any and all complications that can come from drinking large amounts of alcohol consistently.

Why is it that you feel the need to drink the whole bottle? Why won’t one glass do?

Functioning alcoholic? There really is no such thing. One day his drinking will catch up to him and affect him physically and he might not be very functional after that. My mother “got away” with drinking for twenty years, until she had a heart attack, which was caused because of her drinking. You never know when it’s going to catch up to you. But your body can only endure so much, so if you start drinking a bottle now, there is no telling what could happen to you when you are 35.

If you don’t think it’s a serious problem then I want to propose a test for you. Do not drink for forty days. Not a drop of alcohol. If you can manage forty days with a breeze that really says something about your physical and mental relationship to alcohol. If you can’t do it, or it’s extremely difficult, I think that gives you the answer to your own question.

But if you experience any of these symptoms during the forty days, you need to see a doctor immediately. Alcohol withdraw can be very dangerous and at times deadly. While I think you may be OK, I can’t assume or assure you that you will be. Things to look for:

*Disorientation, confusion, and severe anxiety
*Hallucinations (primarily visual) which cannot be distinguished from reality
*Profuse sweating
*Seizures
*High blood pressure
*Racing and irregular heartbeat
*Severe tremors
*Low-grade fever

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#8 (permalink)) Old
THE FAPMAN Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mr. Fap

Re: Drinking Too Much??? - March 18th 2013, 08:00 PM

I have those sympthoms when I have my smoking crysis... Its pretty bad, I wont lie.

Closed Thread