TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Breathe~me Offline
Average Joe

Name: Janine

Question Should I start smoking at 16 ? - March 28th 2013, 11:46 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

okay so I don't normally smoke and In my whole life i've only had 2 cigarettes (I'm 16 at the moment). And one of my friends gave me a cig the other day because she convinced me that 'smoking solves all your problems' since with school work i have a huge amount of stress as well as dealing with depression,self harm and bullying. So i only had one that day (the first one was at a school camp last year). Once I had it I noticed that I felt sort of light headed and it was freaking awesome.
Since I'm only 16 I can't get cigarettes easy but i asked around and someone in town sells them to kids under the legal age. Should I start smoking ? If not, why not ? Please no replys such as: 'you'll get cancer and die.' - I don't really give a sh*t,sorry but in my current state in depression I'd happily take that path...

~ Words scar, Rumors destroy and bullies kill ~
~ I'm just another nobody.
~ You can't tell how much suffering is on a face that's always smiling </3
~ Be my friend.
hold me.
wrap me up.
unfold me.
I am small and needy.
Warm me up and breathe me.

❤❤❤
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subscribe to me on Youtube <3 http://www.youtube.com/user/xJustAnotherNobodyx1
Or follow me on DeviantArt
http://lostinfragility.deviantart.com/
  Send a message via MSN to Breathe~me  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: Should I start smoking at 16 ? - March 28th 2013, 11:58 AM

Hey,

I'm sorry you're not feeling great, but I'd have to very strongly recommend not smoking.
Because, you will increase the chances of cancer, worsen your immune system, etc.
Moreover, though, because whilst you might not care right now, your life will get better and the depression will pass...at that point, though, you'll regret that you're pouring money down the drain and slowly but surely worsening your health.
Smoking is addictive, you will really struggle to give up if you start.

My father...well, he started properly smoking around your age, and now a few decades on, he has no money, and has a terminal illness.
You can find other alternatives to get the "buzz" - don't choose one of the most addictive, most harmful methods that you'll be stuck with for life.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
THE FAPMAN Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mr. Fap

Re: Should I start smoking at 16 ? - March 28th 2013, 04:15 PM

Well, ok, you dont want to know about cancer, but let me tell you something... I started smoking with 12 (im 14 now) and im smoking for 2 years now... After smoking i started drinking, because smoking wasnt good enough, and after drinking, i started with drugs...
Now i smoke, drink and do drugs... Very healthy life... Basically, you start to slowly but surely kill yourself with smoking, and you become addicted... Im addicted to smoking and drinking... So, i beg you, leave it. Its not worth it, trust me... And to tell you how dum idea that is i will say only this: Find one more normal post who says: should i start smoking?
At first, its great... But later... Trust me, i shaked today because i needed to drink... Bad habbit, and im saying about drinking and drugs because, as i said, it all starts with smoking...
So my vote is: No... Make it easier for yourself and your loved ones, and dont even think about smoking... You wont look cool, you wont enjoy it later, and yes, you WILL get cancer...
Dont start...

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Should I start smoking at 16 ? - March 28th 2013, 07:27 PM

I know you don't want to hear it, but you can get cancer and it can kill you. I also know from my graduate program in counseling that smoking actually makes your symptoms worse, I forget the exact explanation, but the professor knows what he's talking about. After watching what happened to my grandparents who both smoked for decades I can say that you should NEVER start. My grandpa lost his larynx to cancer and my grandma had emphysema so bad she could barely move. I know you don't care now, but things will get better and you'll regret it. And I know you probably think it won't happen to you, but it can and by the time it does it's too late.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Should I start smoking at 16 ? - March 28th 2013, 07:40 PM

Hey,

I'd really advise against starting smoking. I started when I was 16, and became very addicted. It DRAINS your money. They aren't cheap, and if you can't afford some one week you'll hate it.
You'll stink, your teeth will turn yellow, and so will your nails. You'll get out of breath easier.
Believe me, I wish I hadn't started. I could have bought so many other things that could have brought me joy.
Please think about this!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Should I start smoking at 16 ? - March 29th 2013, 02:25 AM

If you're trying to make a rational decision on smoking cigarettes, the only logical answer is "No." I smoke a pipe and justify it because it's cheaper than cigs, tastes way better and has a lower risk for cancer, etc. But it's still not really a great idea, and I didn't start until I was 21. No sense breaking laws and not even getting high.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
arosa Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: samantha

Re: Should I start smoking at 16 ? - March 29th 2013, 03:35 AM

i've heard far more positive things about marijuana than i have tobacco. don't get me wrong, they both have their negative effects.

as someone that buys cigarettes as a mystery shopper, i don't recommend starting up smoking at all. smoking is similar to any other bad habit such as chewing your nails, or pulling your hair out. ( both of which i'm guilty of )

i do smoke, and i'm not addicted. however, i've been smoking for two years off and on. it's obviously a dangerous thing to play around with because i know of several people who are addicted to cigarettes and have been there whole life. you could mistake them for meth addicts, because that's how awful their apperance is, and that's how dependent they've become to tobacco.

i once meet a man who had to have a cigarette literally every five minutes. he was my dads friend, so we ended up spending the entire day with him while he drove us to a nascar race. watching him smoke so many cigarettes was just an awful thing to witness. it was as if i had been watching a man slowly die before my eyes.

every cigarette will take away 5 minutes of your life on average. so is it really worth trying?

you tell me.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Should I start smoking at 16 ? - March 29th 2013, 12:36 PM

There's a reason why it's illegal to smoke until you are 18.
I also think the very fact you posted this means that you are unsure of whether or not you should, so definitely pay attention to what everyone has been saying.
As for my own experience, I used to smoke because my ex boyfriend and all of his friends did. Yes, the first couple of times you get a little light headed because of the nicotine, but it doesn't make you high. That feeling goes away quickly, and soon it's reversed and you're having to smoke just to feel normal. It's not fun. Not to mention the price of a pack of cigarettes is very expensive, so you'll end up throwing a lot of your money away on it. It's definitely not worth it when you can just have a cup of tea or do some yoga to get the same relaxation effect.
Lastly, cigarettes contain tar and other gross chemicals in them. Do you really want that in your body? Probably not. It also makes your teeth and fingers turn yellow, which is definitely not attractive. So save yourself some trouble, and don't get involved.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Should I start smoking at 16 ? - March 29th 2013, 01:21 PM

Coming from someone who absolutely hates smoking, I'll be saying that you shouldn't. I know you don't care but you do have the whole you'll get cancer and die, there is other things it can do to your health, there is addiction and as well as that, it isn't cheap and they won't be getting any cheaper anytime soon so why waste your money on putting yourself in an early grave? Life may be bad now and that may look appealing but things get better.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

March 29th 2013, 01:29 PM

I wouldn't say it'll solve all your problems - one of my friends, at 21, can hardly afford to go out because she spends most of her money on smoking. It'll add up. By not smoking you'll be saving SO much money that you can still use to try and make yourself happier.

I just wouldn't advise it in general. If you start there's a very good chance you'll become addicted, so why not put it off for at least another couple of years?? If you make a conscious decision to take up smoking you're probably setting yourself up for a lifetime of smoking, trying to quit, and relapsing. If that's something you're willing to risk then that's ok, but personally I wouldn't love that idea.

At the end of the day it's your choice and if you really want to do it nothing we can say will stop you, but just think about it before you make the decision. I don't want to sound like I'm preaching - I'm personally not a smoker (although I smoked frequently in social situations for nearly three years when I was younger) but I accept it's a habit that people have. But I think most smokers would advise you not to do this either.

Oh, actually an afterthought: I forgot about what it does to your appearance.

I have a friend who smokes, and she's a gorgeous girl, lovely and a very talented make-up artist, and wears lovely clothes. She puts a lot of work into her appearance....but her teeth. :/ They're yellow and brown and no matter how much she can do to make herself look nice, her teeth are just really unattractive. And they were never like that before she smoked. It's not something you can see from far away but once you're up close it's a bit sickening really, not that I would ever say that to her. But that's something that would really turn me off both smoking and smokers.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

Last edited by Lizzie; April 1st 2013 at 02:55 PM.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Should I start smoking at 16 ? - March 29th 2013, 02:46 PM

I'm not gonna say don't start, because ultimately, it's your choice. However it's not going to solve your problems or make them better. The light headedness will only last the first few times you smoke, so if you want some sort of physical effect, I'd choose a different drug. Smoking is really expensive for what it is. Say you only smoke 2 per day, that will set you back around £300 a year. Smoke 10 a day and thats around £1500 per year. If you want something for stress, I'd suggest a cup of tea and a nice book. Really, out of everything i've tried (alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, self harm etc), nothing beats a cup of tea. If you do decide to start, just make sure you can afford it before you get addicted.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Should I start smoking at 16 ? - March 30th 2013, 01:21 AM

Smoking doesn't solve your problems.
That would be the main reason to not continue.

I also struggle with self-harm and I have bipolar, so I also regularly have depression to deal with. Like yourself, I'm not too bothered about my physical health, because I spend a lot of my time being vaguely suicidal.

But here's the thing:
You get addicted. You start off smoking maybe 1, maybe 5 cigarettes a day. You think, yeah this is ok, I can afford it. Then you get stressed. You smoke maybe 10, maybe 12 a day. You switch to pouch tobacco, still can afford it, not so bad.

Then the bottom falls out of your world and suddenly you're smoking 20, 30 cigarettes a day. You don't buy tailor made any more, you smoke pouch tobacco only. You spend $60, $80, whatever you can afford on tobacco. Tobacco becomes a higher priority than food, and nicotine is an appetite suppressant so you don't really care anyway.

The nicotine cravings interrupt your sleep. The first thing you do in the morning, and the last thing you do at night, is smoke. You don't care. At least you're not self-harming, right?

But then you need to SH too. And everything spirals out of control, same as before you started smoking, except now you can't get through the day without it, now school is hard because you can't smoke during class, everything is different.

Remember when you started to SH, and you thought you could control it? Smoking's the same. You think you can control it. But with addictions, especially when you're using them to try and cope with things, get out of control very easily, and before you know it, they control you.

So I'll say this: wait until you are the legal age to smoke. At least give your body the chance to finish growing and developing before you start to poison it. Give yourself that chance.

And in the mean time, you need to seek help for the depression and the self-harm. If you get the right assisstance, your stress levels will go down, and you won't feel quite so much like you need extra things.

Good luck whatever you decide.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Re: Should I start smoking at 16 ? - March 30th 2013, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathe~me View Post
okay so I don't normally smoke and In my whole life i've only had 2 cigarettes (I'm 16 at the moment). And one of my friends gave me a cig the other day because she convinced me that 'smoking solves all your problems' since with school work i have a huge amount of stress as well as dealing with depression,self harm and bullying. So i only had one that day (the first one was at a school camp last year). Once I had it I noticed that I felt sort of light headed and it was freaking awesome.
Since I'm only 16 I can't get cigarettes easy but i asked around and someone in town sells them to kids under the legal age. Should I start smoking ? If not, why not ? Please no replys such as: 'you'll get cancer and die.' - I don't really give a sh*t,sorry but in my current state in depression I'd happily take that path...
As a "half to a pack a day Smoker" I can tell you that yes, why it will get you "buzzed" and feel better, you should try to find different things to help. It helps a lot with my stress but at what costs? You'll smell like ciggerates all the time, you'll notice that you HAVE to smoke, other then it helps you, to calm the addiction. Depending on the State where you live, it'll hurt your wallet, a lot. In New York, where smoking is one of the most expensive states, it can cost for a single pack of Ciggerates, $10, and those are the cheap ones. You'll notice your breathing habits going down the drain while the negative effects of smoking take over your body. While I understand the feeling that Smoking really helps, once your body gets used to smoking, you won't feel that "buzzed" moment like when you smoke the first smoke. It'll just be smoking more too keep your mind from demanding another one.

So, my answer is "No, you shouldn't start smoking"

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Digit. Offline
Perfect INTP stereotype
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jason

Re: Should I start smoking at 16 ? - March 30th 2013, 04:58 AM

Where to start
a) your already aware of the health problems
b)smoking can actually increase the severity of your depression
c)In 2 years those kids who want you to try it to look cool won't give a flying walrus how cool you are.
d)I think you should try working out(odd I know but it makes you feel better it's healthier and it relieves stress.
e)Their is absolutley no benefit to smoking that could be achieved an easier way.

Every heartbreak we go through makes us the perfect person for our soulmates. Shaping us into what they've always been looking for.

Need to talk, PM me.

To people(like me) who think asking for help annoys people I say:
It would bother me if you DIDN'T ask for help.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Should I start smoking at 16 ? - March 30th 2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithj View Post
Where to start
b)smoking can actually increase the severity of your depression
Source, please?

(#16 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Re: Should I start smoking at 16 ? - March 30th 2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella.x View Post
Source, please?
Quote:
Source: http://psychcentral.com/lib/2011/can...se-depression/ "According to the researchers, “this evidence is consistent with the conclusion that there is a cause and effect relationship between smoking and depression in which cigarette smoking increases the risk of symptoms of depression.”"
-This is the only thing I can find about it.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Brittany

Re: Should I start smoking at 16 ? - March 30th 2013, 01:16 PM

I started smoking when I was your age because I was struggling with depression/anxiety. I quit a couple of years in because I saw what it did to my grandfather. He struggles with emphysema, osteoporosis, and has had bouts of cancer (this is just the gist of it). I generally try to stay away from cigarettes, but I'm around it a lot and experience secondhand smoke effects (cough, wheezing, off breathing, and weakened immune system). Even though I still struggle with depression and anxiety, these effects and what I see from my grandfather are strong enough to prevent me from smoking. As much as the "buzz" helped, I just don't think it's worth it. Therefore, I suggest you quit while you're ahead. You might not care now, but my grandfather didn't either. Now, he's struggling with the health effects - and he genuinely does care now. I've heard him wish that he never started smoking, and he wonders what his health would be like if he'd never started.

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Should I start smoking at 16 ? - March 30th 2013, 05:57 PM

Honestly, smoking is a revolting habit. It's actually just down right disgusting. And I am sorry, because I know that this sounds harsh (probably because it is) but it's the truth. And this is coming from someone who used to smoke a bit. Now, I know many people who smoke and it doesn't bother me. But a lot of people reek like cigarettes all the time which is gross. It ages your skin faster, it yellows your teeth. And it REALLY puts me off when you are with someone who is a smoker and they can barely get through a meal without having to excuse themselves to go have a cigarette OR when the said smoker actually has the audacity to smoke in your vehicle as if it isn't bad enough that you can smell it on them, they also want to stink up your car. Look, I respect and understand addiction. I want to be a god damned addictions counsellor. What I am saying has nothing to do with my disliking people who smoke. I know that for many people smoking is a bad habit that they just can't kick. Not everyone has nasty teeth and not everyone has the poor restraint (ex. they DO NOT have to leave to smoke before, during and after a meal).... But I want you to understand that it isn't just about getting cancer. Maybe you will, maybe you won't. You could live to be 95 as a smoker while someone who never smoked a day in their life, works out and eats right dies of a heart attack at 60. But you should realize it is a gross habit (smelly, hard on your body) that will affect your entire social life. Imagine being in the middle of an exam and just NEEDING that cigarette to help control your stress and you can't leave. I understand being down and out on the world and just wanting SOMETHING to give you a way out, and wanting something to cam you down. But if you get addicted and THAT is when you realize you've made a bad choice because, oops, now your not just doing it when you want to, you're doing it because you have to, then it'll be a lot harder to just back out. Talk to anyone who's addicted. Very few of them will actually tell you it's a good idea.
There is a reason why you can't buy cigarettes until your 18. And there are better ways to manage your stress and depression. Talk to a counsellor about coping skills if you must. But you are not powerless in this situation and you can take control instead of turning to a substance that will control your life.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Should I start smoking at 16 ? - April 3rd 2013, 05:17 PM

Simple answer. No.

I have friends who started smoking at 16 (and some who started younger). We're all 17/18 now, and they're already hooked. My friend tried to quit over the summer and she managed two weeks (and those two weeks were spent on a camp with no means to buy cigarettes). Another friend tried to quit in November. He was completely serious about it, and yet only managed a couple of hours. It's not worth it. You could end up hooked for life.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

Closed Thread