TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Worried about getting hooked - August 8th 2013, 08:15 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hi there,

So, as a brief background, I am coping with some pretty bad anxiety, specifically agoraphobia. This is triggered by existing stomach problems that I have, and the fear of being sick in public.

Well, yesterday I had a follow up with my GI and was told that I have IBS. Okay, cool. Finally have an answer. However, this made my anxiety a whole lot worse because now it's possible that this constant nausea *isn't* just inside my head- there's a "legitimate" reason.

I left that appointment crying. My first instinct was to reach for a bottle of whiskey. This wasn't my first time drinking, but it was my first time drinking for the purpose of feeling less upset and anxious.

I'm worried that I'm going to get hooked, because I like the way alcohol makes me feel. I have been lectured so many times about the dangers, but at this very moment I'm just focused on the anxiety that it relieves for me.

How can I get out of this before it becomes a habit? I keep thinking about turning to it, and how it makes me feel sane. But I don't want to become an alcoholic.

I've tried yoga, kava, breathing etc and see a therapist and will be seeing a psychiatrist in a couple of weeks.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jocasta Offline
Priestess of Cegolaich
Not a n00b

Name: Allie

Re: Worried about getting hooked - August 9th 2013, 02:51 PM

Attend an AA meeting, its full of people that turned to drink and they will all tell you how it ruined them and tricks to stay away from it. "Live life one day at a time. Say to yourself, I might drink tomorrow, but not today, I have today. Then repeat when you wake up the next morning."

How can man die better? Than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his father, in the temple of his gods.

"I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad, the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I ever had."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Worried about getting hooked - August 9th 2013, 03:16 PM

I think it helps to avoid alcohol as an anxiety reliever if you don't have it in the house. Drinking socially when out with your friends or at someone else's house is fine. But when you want to have a quick fix for your anxiety, you don't want alcohol near by you. So I would think that is the first step.

Next, I would talk to your therapist about this. Let them know that this is what you are turning to and to give you better options. I think they are the best person to talk to about this right now.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Worried about getting hooked - August 16th 2013, 01:40 AM

Are you able to keep alcohol out of your house or at least hidden? That can reduce to urge to turn to the bottle when you're feeling anxious.
I also recommend trying out different alternatives until you find something that at least helps you get through the day. I'm glad you've already started going this, but it's going to take some time until you can find something. Definitely keep talking about it with your therapist so they can help you come up with more ways to cope. It's all trial and error until you find something that works and is healthy.
The thing about alcohol is that it's actually a depressant. It will actually make you feel worse when you're trying to find a way to cope. Try and use that fact as motivation to stay away from alcohol because it will only create a bigger problem.
I get anxiety myself sometimes and what has helped me personally is to have some earl gray tea and draw or color. Low cognitive activities can help put your mind at ease and can help relax you. You could also try putting together a playlist of relaxing music to listen to whenever your anxiety starts getting the best of you. Music is very therapeutic.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

Closed Thread