TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LuxLisbon Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Katie

misuse of medications - December 2nd 2013, 01:44 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

(sorry if this is in the wrong section and also for any spelling mistakes !)

So pretty much when ever im over whelmed (or when cutting doesnt work) i turn to taking combinations of medications and painkillers, both prescription and just normal things you can buy at shops. The medications were things that were prescribed to me (but i stopped taking about 6 months ago because i didnt like the side effects) but the painkillers arent. I also do this if i feel detached (because when im in that state i tend to feel sort of invincible and do silly things). Pretty much what i get out of it is that it will either make me fall asleep or make me weak/dizzy/sick which takes away the focus from what im mentally feeling. I also find it calming when im really upset to count all the pills i have just to know i have them as an option.

Anyway, I mainly posted this as a little rant. I've never really talked about it before (only once to my mum but she didnt seem too concerned) so its good to get it off my chest. I know it's no where near as bad as other types of substance abuse (if it even counts as that?) but i was just wondering if it's something that i should try and bring up? And if it's something that's damaging?

thanks

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Azure. Offline
Filling My Panties.
I can't get enough

Re: misuse of medications - December 4th 2013, 11:55 PM

Hey there.
I think it might be a good idea to talk to someone about this. Though it may not seem too serious, it can still become a serious issue. Do you think you could bring it up to your mom again?
I think the mindset of "I have these pills if I ever need them" isn't a good thing to have. It shows that if you felt the need at some point, you would look to those as a serious option. Also, that feeling of invincibility could lead to mistakes in the future as well.
I'm not sure if it is damaging or not. It probably depends on what exactly and how much you are taking. Anyway, I think it's a good idea to tell someone about this and look into some healthier coping methods. You can always look at TH's list of alternatives to self harm.
I hope this helped. I wish you the best!

vm-pm
♥♥♥
Find your light in a new dawn.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jocasta Offline
Priestess of Cegolaich
Not a n00b

Name: Allie

Re: misuse of medications - December 5th 2013, 03:16 AM

As a recovering addict and Narcotics Anonymous nazi, I rant alot to people about this: No one form of substance abuse is worse or better than any other. And taking any mood and mind altering substance as not prescribed is abuse. They all can cause serious mental, emotional and physical damage, and legal issues too. It does seem like a very good idea to talk to your mom about this and I would advise (just my opnion) that you talk to your doctor/physician about this, there are many non-narcotic pain meds available for when you are in pain that arent as risky. Also

How can man die better? Than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his father, in the temple of his gods.

"I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad, the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I ever had."

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: misuse of medications - December 16th 2013, 07:43 PM

Misusing medications can actually be as dangerous as other types of substance abuse. You should never mix medications or take more than the advised dosage because it can really harm your body and if very extreme, it can be fatal.
I think you should try and talk to your mom about this again and try and express the severity of it and that you need some support. She can help you find a therapist that you can talk to, and a professional can help you find some alternatives that work best for you.
Personally, I've found that some good distractions from getting high are to do something creative such as write poetry or draw, or call up a friend.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Crazycatlady Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Gretch

Re: misuse of medications - December 17th 2013, 01:21 AM

Which medications have you been prescribed? Certain medications combined with narcotics can give you a high that is similar to heroin, so you shouldn't consider this "less bad" than other drugs. The combination of certain prescription medications can be dangerous, and potentially fatal. I'd recommend talking to your doctor, therapist, or parents, or anybody that you can trust, about this as well.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
LuxLisbon Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Katie

Re: misuse of medications - December 21st 2013, 01:15 PM

Thanks everyone for replying. I'm going to see a psychologist in about a month so it is something that I will try to bring up then. I had tried talking to a friend about it but she didn't see it as a problem.
It's something I've been doing more regularly, even though it makes me feel pretty terrible. It's not really something that I feel I need nor do I want to do but I seem to end up doing it anyway ? (if that makes any sense :s )

I was prescribed mirtazapine and quetiapine (seroquel) though I stopped taking them at the same time I stopped seeing a psychiatrist and psychologist.

Thanks everyone for the advice and information.

Closed Thread