TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MamaBear Offline
Me
Average Joe

Name: *Spiffy nickname*

Question Urges to get high again. Need some advice. - December 3rd 2013, 07:56 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Back story: My ex girlfriend was really against drugs, alcohol or anything like that. We ended up breaking up because of me getting high all the time and what not but before we did I made her a promise that I wouldn't get high anymore.
I haven't since then but as of late I'm having a really hard time and I'm jonesing it seems all the time. I've been trying to distract myself with other things but it's like the only thing that seems to help is when I go drinking with my boyfriend and friends, and I know it's a horrible thing to replace one addiction with another so I'm trying not to do that. I originally started all of this to help take the edge off so I wouldn't self harm and it seems like I'm just continuously kicking one habit only to get into another one. I've tried all of the things in the self harm section to help try not to (rubber bands, ice, ect) and nothings working. I just need some advice, I'm afraid I'm going to start getting high again.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Adalia Rose Offline
Average Joe

Name: Adalia Rose

Re: Urges to get high again. Need some advice. - December 3rd 2013, 07:11 PM

I am actually having a very similar problem. I've even used recently. The only thing that I've found to help so far is talking to someone and feeling like someone actually cares. But I have to feel like the person cares about who I am and not what I do if that makes sense. If you find any other things that help, please feel free to let me know

- Adalia

"Ghosts don't scare me. Flesh and blood people do." ~ Ellen Hopkins

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Urges to get high again. Need some advice. - December 16th 2013, 07:35 PM

Firstly, make sure you don't have alcohol or drugs in the house. If you don't have access to it, you're much less likely to be able to do it (which I know is obvious).
Second, remember that it's okay to go out and have a drink every once in awhile, but make sure you aren't doing this every day. Try and find other activities that you can do with your friends or significant other that doesn't involve alcohol. You can go out to dinner, go see a movie, go bowling, etc.
As for alternatives, you want to find activities that distract yourself. You can get some exercise, do something creative such as drawing or writing poetry, or call up a friend whenever you get the urge.
I also find keeping a tally of the days you make it through without relapsing can be a good motivator. It doesn't feel good to have to start over, and having a visual of how long you've gone without can show you that you are capable of being sober.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Crazycatlady Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Gretch

Re: Urges to get high again. Need some advice. - December 17th 2013, 01:24 AM

Have you tried talking to your partner and friends about the urges that you have been having? Do you have a therapist or sponsor that you can talk to as well? It's important to address the urges that you're having, especially if you're set on not relapsing. Another thing I'd suggest is write down the emotions that you're feeling so you know what emotions trigger the emotions that trigger a relapse. That way, it'll be easier to identify and avoid your triggers and to actually address what's wrong rather than turning to drugs or cutting.

Closed Thread