TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nitro Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I drank after 33 days of being sober, I feel very very bad. - April 18th 2015, 05:35 AM

Hi everyone, today is my birthday and I feel like crap. 33 Days ago I decided to quit drinking. Drinking screwed up much of my short (now) 21 year old life and the last 33 days of my life have been the best days I ever had. I started doing exercise, waking up early and doing a lot of improvements.

For some reason I decided to have a couple glasses of wine. I didn't get drunk or anything but I can't believe I gave up on 33 days of work, improvement sobriety just for some shitty pressure of being "drinking a glass for my birthday".

I can't believe myself, I am soo down, especially now, on my birthday. For me, every day I didn't drink was a great day, now my birthday is a shit day.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
*CatchingStars* Offline
Healing my soul
I've been here a while

Name: Corri

Re: I drank after 33 days of being sober, I feel very very bad. - April 18th 2015, 05:59 AM

Hey, don't beat yourself up about this. Recovery isn't just about quitting it's about learning from mistakes. A slip up once in awhile is OKAY it really is. The slip up is t the important part. It's the getting back up and starting again is what's important.
I understand sometimes we feel we failed if we do take a step back but like the saying goes " two steps back one step forward" and it's the one step forward that counts. And 33 days that is awesome because you made it that far once that means you can make it further the next time
What I find helpful is setting up goals and a calendar. Mark your caleneder where you will be 33 days free and maybe give yourself a healthy treat like ice cream or do something you wouldn't do besides drinking and than mark maybe 53 days free and so on and give yourself incentives for it. And be honest with yourself. And remember it is ok to take some steps back that it part of recovering just don't give up feel free to pm me anytime

Life is too

Short to spend

It at war with

Yourself.

Im catching stars in the sky because I am fixing the soul within me. May it be from the heart a girl broke years ago or my soul simply repairing itself as it was shattered on my walk on this earth. May the stardust fill those cracks within my soul making me brand new, but never forgetting who I once was.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Offline
Learning to Fly
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: I drank after 33 days of being sober, I feel very very bad. - April 19th 2015, 04:39 AM

Hey there! First of all, happy belated birthday. I hope you're feeling a bit better today than you did yesterday.

It's great that you've recognized your problem and are working to change your situation - those are two huge steps that you've already taken in your journey towards recovery and sobriety. Thirty-three days is a fantastic start, and I'm sure you can meet and exceed that amount of time again. A part of every recovery is relapse, and that's okay. Like ~Agateophobia~ said, the falling down is not necessarily the important part - what matters is that you get up and don't let your relapse affect you in a negative way. Let this motivate you to get better, not discourage you from recovery. Keep exercising, getting up early, and doing all the other things that are facilitating your recovery. You can do this!

It might help you to tell your friends and family about your decision to stop drinking. Doing so might relieve some of the social pressure to drink, and they will probably be more than willing to support you throughout this journey! It might also help you to connect with other people struggling with sobriety in your area. Look for groups like Alcoholics Anonymous that you can join. Meeting people in your same situation could help you immensely!

Lastly, I'm going to move this thread from Addictive Behaviors to Substance Use. I think you will get more constructive responses in that forum, as it is geared directly towards people struggling with alcohol and drug use. If you have any concerns or questions about my decision to move this thread, please don't hesitate to send me a PM!

Best of luck, and be sure to update us on your progress! You can do this. Feel free to reach out to our community if you need any type of support, and don't hesitate to utilize resources like HelpLINK and Live Help. Also feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk more. Stay strong!

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 4/11/15 - Senior Live Help Operator

I will be generous with my love today. I will sprinkle compliments and uplifting words everywhere I go. I will do this knowing that my words are like seeds and when they fall on fertile soil, a reflection of those seeds will grow into something greater.

PM / VM

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: I drank after 33 days of being sober, I feel very very bad. - April 19th 2015, 06:33 AM

Hey there,

First of all, happy belated birthday!

Recovery is not an easy process and you, my friend, have already taken some huge steps! Being able to recognize a problem and making the decision to do something about it are both incredible and you should be quite proud of yourself! As both Corri and Laura have said, relapse is a part of the recovery process. The important thing is not to dwell on your relapse. After all, you made it 33 days without drinking in the very first part of your recovery. That's amazing, really. Instead of beating yourself up over your relapse, take it as a learning experience. Think about the way you felt after drinking. Is that a feeling that you want to have again? My guess is no. Take that and use it as a motivating tool to keep doing the things that you have been doing to aid your recovery.

Have you told any friends or family members about your decision to stop drinking? You said that part of the reason you chose to have a few glasses of wine was because of the pressure to have a drink on your birthday. Making your friends and family aware of your recovery journey should keep that pressure from coming up again. If they know you have a goal that you're actively working towards, I doubt they'll try to push you to do things that will cause you to stumble. Perhaps you can ask one or two of them to help hold you accountable and give you constant support. They'll be able to celebrate your victories with you and help pick yourself back up after any relapses.

Have you considered going to a support group of any kind? Being able to hear the stories of others who are working through their recovery and share your own story can be extremely beneficial. You'll be able to share tips and tricks that have worked for you and learn some new things that you can try as you work towards your goal. It might also help you see that you are not alone, that relapse is normal, and that recovery is completely possible.

Don't give up, okay? Remember that every day without alcohol is a victory and that should not be taken lightly. If you need anything at all, feel free to PM me.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Nitro Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I drank after 33 days of being sober, I feel very very bad. - April 19th 2015, 08:20 AM

It's kind of sucky that most of my friends find my decision kind of extremist and weird. I live somewhere in eastern Europe and everyone consumes pretty big amounts of alcohol even in early ages.

I have basically three kind of friends:
-Those who don't understand my decision and actively bash it.(Most friends I used to see)
-Those who don't understand it they respect my decision. (Most friends I see)
-Those who kind of understand it and support me. (2 Friends)

I can't believe that some friends feel so threatened by my decision. I've been told that I'm not normal, that why would I quit alcohol since I was never an alcoholic, that there's not fun without alcohol, life without alcohol is boring.

Those 33 days were amazing and full of life. I'm sick of everyone's addictive behaviours that are common culture around here.

I feel I have enough reasons to quit alcohol and getting oppressed because I want to make a healthy life choice is just crap

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: I drank after 33 days of being sober, I feel very very bad. - April 29th 2015, 03:18 PM

Hi there, I am sober 50 some days of alcohol, I once had about 15 months and relapsed on new years eve and again recently. I get it, it sucks and its okay to be sad for a moment, but pick yourself back up and try again. Sober life is amazing and I have the best sober friends anyone could ask for. Have you ever thought of going to a meeting? I do, almost everyday, specially if I feel tempted to drink. They give me hope in recovery. Stay strong. One day at a time.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: I drank after 33 days of being sober, I feel very very bad. - May 7th 2015, 07:47 PM

Hi there.

I've been on detox twice so know how hard it can be to give up alcohol. But you honestly did really well not to drink for 33 days! That is amazing and something you should be really proud of yourself for. I'm proud of you for sure! You had a bit of a blip and that's okay. We all have them - Its just important to not let it get you down, okay? Accept what has happened and move forward and start again. You CAN do it so keep fighting and remember that we're here for support when and if you do struggle with urges to drink.

Take good care,
Jessica

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread