TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

What to do about my mom? - May 11th 2009, 03:43 PM

Well my mom just phoned me and my sister from work to say that she's going to try and quit drinking again. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help her with it since last time she tried she barely made it through a day without drinking again.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Drey Offline
what..ever
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Drey

Re: What to do about my mom? - May 12th 2009, 10:49 PM

Is there something that your mother would possibly like you to quit doing (or another member of your family to quit doing)? If so, suggest quitting together, this way you can help each other out and be the support network a family should be.

Otherwise just being there for her is the best thing to do, I'm happy she is trying to quit again. Offer your support to her, be someone for her to talk to (if you think you can do that).

I hope she can quit this time. Good luck Rick!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: What to do about my mom? - May 14th 2009, 02:23 AM

Hey,

I am happy to here that your mom is going to try to give up drinking. You could look up alcohol rehabilitations centers in you area and ask your mom to think about going to one. If that isn't a possibility then you could find the time and location of an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting in your area HERE and accompany her to her first meeting to show your support. You can also get rid of any alcohol that is in the house and be sure to never bring any alcohol into the house in the future. Other than that just constantly reminding how proud you are of her and how much you believe in her can help boost her morale. It might be helpful to get her to make a doctor's appointment to see how her drinking has taken a toll on her health because that might prove extra motivation to quit. In some cases tough love might be necessary. I know when I friend of mine told me they couldn't talk to me while I was on drugs and they wouldn't sit around and watch me kill myself that was a real wake up call. Just knowing that you support her can help a tremendous amount. As long as you try your best then you are doing a great job. Take care and stay strong.

Lots of love <3 Mimi

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What to do about my mom? - May 14th 2009, 04:36 PM

Keep her busy and let her know that if she ever feels the urge to drink that she can always come to you to talk about it. Don't keep any alcohol in the house and if she brings any home, in that situation i'd find it perfectly suitable and o.k. to pour it out.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: What to do about my mom? - May 14th 2009, 04:56 PM

She needs to get into some kind of group therapy. My mom was a drug addict, smoked, and drank. She does none of that now, and I never thought she would quit. When you get help from the people around you, in similar situations, It can help very much so. If she has the endurance to quit, she can. Just encourage her, and believe her. Maybe quit something with her?

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: What to do about my mom? - May 14th 2009, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys but she started drinking again last night.
I've offered to go to an AA meeting with her before this, there's one at a church within walking distance every Thursday (I know this because my sister had to go to it), but she refused to go.
I've also suggested to my dad that we get rid of all the alcohol in the house but he wouldn't have that, he's a pretty big drinker himself but he doesn't cause problems when he does drink. He has a massive wine collection and a pantry filled with hard liquor all the time so I suppose my mom was kind of doomed since the beginning to start drinking again.
My mom also refuses to go to the doctor for anything, I think it's because her doctor knows she's supposed to be on antipsychotics and she knows she isn't taking them, but she won't go if she's ill and I doubt she'd go to help quit drinking.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: What to do about my mom? - May 15th 2009, 02:04 AM

You can try an antibuse such as disulfuram, used to treat chronic alcoholism (not sure if your mother is a chronic alcoholic or not). In conjunction with this, also some psychotherapy or AA meetings. If she refuses to go, ask her why. It may be out of embarassment, humiliation, denial, etc..., so whatever her reason(s), try to encourage her and get her to go once, so if she benefits and likes it.

Closed Thread