TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Catlady Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 8,140, Level: 13 Points: 8,140, Level: 13 Points: 8,140, Level: 13

New Medicine Addiction - November 19th 2015, 08:26 PM

So I'm sick and my doctor prescribed me pain medication and I'm in A LOT of pain. But Is there a chance I will get addicted to it? I have never taken OxyContin before... I hear you can easily get addicted to it. So I don't know anything about it. Just I tend to develop addictions to stuff easily so I'm worried. Should I be worried about this? Should I just not take it?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26

Re: New Medicine Addiction - November 20th 2015, 01:03 AM

If you need the medication, you should take it or if you're concerned about becoming addicted, you can talk to your doctor about other non-addictive options. If you do take it, follow the instructions and dosing information and call your doctor if you find yourself taking more or more often than that.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Catlady Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: New Medicine Addiction - November 20th 2015, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
If you need the medication, you should take it or if you're concerned about becoming addicted, you can talk to your doctor about other non-addictive options. If you do take it, follow the instructions and dosing information and call your doctor if you find yourself taking more or more often than that.
Thank you! I just took it so we should see. I followed all the instructions and my parents have the medication and are giving it to me when I need it so hopefully that helps!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18

Re: New Medicine Addiction - November 20th 2015, 02:34 AM

Addiction is not a well defined concept. Anyone who takes oxycontin for an extended period of time- medically or not- will develop physical dependence and maybe even a psychological craving when stopping. Its just the nature of opioids. Not only can they cause withdrawal when stopping, but they work by activating beta-endorphin receptors in the brain--which can produce feelings of pleasure. So you are right in saying that there is a risk of addiction even for medical use.

But as far as full blown addiction- you'd need to take it for a long enough time and you'd have to probably start abusing it/start trying to get higher doses. It seems that since you are concerned about not getting addicted- then that automatically puts you into a lower risk group---much lower than the people who are taking it to get high; because for one, you are being cautious about it.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Catlady Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: New Medicine Addiction - November 20th 2015, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud90sKid View Post
Addiction is not a well defined concept. Anyone who takes oxycontin for an extended period of time- medically or not- will develop physical dependence and maybe even a psychological craving when stopping. Its just the nature of opioids. Not only can they cause withdrawal when stopping, but they work by activating beta-endorphin receptors in the brain--which can produce feelings of pleasure. So you are right in saying that there is a risk of addiction even for medical use.

But as far as full blown addiction- you'd need to take it for a long enough time and you'd have to probably start abusing it/start trying to get higher doses. It seems that since you are concerned about not getting addicted- then that automatically puts you into a lower risk group---much lower than the people who are taking it to get high; because for one, you are being cautious about it.
Ohhhh ok, thank you for really explaining this to me. I have never taken it before and so I really didn't know how it worked. Just that it was addictive. I definitely don't want to develop an addiction that's why I wanted to see how high the risk of having one was before I took it. Thank you again!
Closed Thread