TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

At Risk For Abusing - January 31st 2016, 01:29 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I don't have an active problem with substances or alcohol, I barely drink and only time I use any form of substances is prescription pain killers.

A little back story: When I was a teenager I overdosed and was in the hospital for 5 days, since then I stay away from OTC (over the counter) pain relief. I am always scared I will abuse like I did then because my organs were on the brisk of failure.

I am on pain killers that are strong (there not the strongest pain relief out there, which I've been on before, over a year ago) which makes me feel dizzy, head lighted, and generally ill. They work to defeat the pain, so I am pain free, with very little pain left. It does take the medication up to two hours to fully take away the pain. I've found after maybe 3-4 hours after taking the medication, I feel sorta high and ill, dizzy, and head lighted. I try not to take the medication when I have things to do, when I do I ensure I am on the couch for the day watching TV, Netflix or CraveTV. I know for many pain killers make people sleepy and tired, for me pain killers tend to make me awake. Over a year ago I was put on a heavy duty pain killer (something lighter than what I was on at the hospital) but my body processed it as a sugar pill, friends asked why I wasn't asleep or why I was still in pain. Found out, whatever they gave me my body doesn't process it as a drug. (I've been on other pain killers which don't have that full effect of taking the pain away.)

Anyways, I am on this medication which actually helps me but it causes problems, the head lightness, dizzy, and feeling ill; I've tried eating food, drinking fluids, resting, not moving, laying down, and the symptoms are present no matter what I do... but it helps the pain.

I go to a pain clinic every 6-8 weeks and see my Pain Doctor, he is such a great support, he explains things in away that makes sense. I've expressed this concern to him, but said its not too bad as long as I am at home and relaxing (cause it's not interfering with my life really) and we've discussed other ways to relieve pain. I don't always take my pain medication when I am in sever pain, I try other things first. I do deep breathing, laying down for a nap, taking a shower/bath, drinking tea/water, or distracting myself with a game or TV show/movie, I've even did some physical exercise while in pain like walking, or playing with my dog.

When my pain happens it's like the end of the world for me, I am crumbled and I don't want to do anything. On the other hand I also don't want to use pain killers to maintain my symptoms anymore because I fear I may abuse all over again (which I expressed with my Pain Doctor) and last week I did overdose and it seemed no one actually bothered to do anything about it when I was at the Pain Clinic (I didn't see my Pain Doctor, saw a different doctor) and I've threatened to overdose since then to my counselor and to myself. I should have went to the hospital because that morning I threw up and barely fell, it took about a day and half to two days for me to go back to normal functioning.

I am at a loss right now because I feel I am at a higher risk of abusing all over again because I feel my pain is being ignored by health professionals, I am desperate for relief. I can't seem to find that balance anymore.

I also need to pick up more of the pain killers in a few days, and I have abused OTC medication in between but it's only twice a month or three time a month.

I am just scared I will fall into this very very dark place.
Any advice or suggestions would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

Closed Thread