TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
fuisarox Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy R.I.P. SAMIE =( - May 16th 2009, 09:38 PM

one nite my frnds went to a party
and one of em tried smokin marajuana for the FIRST TIME!
she got so intoxicated that she died of shock..
i thought it was impossible for something like this to happen but it did and now her mother is the only income in a family of 5.
this is just a warning to young kids that marajuana and other drugs are dangerous and can harm ppl.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
punk rocker with attitude
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jennifer

Re: R.I.P. SAMIE =( - May 16th 2009, 11:06 PM

thanks thats exactly what people need to hear.

You can't live a positive life with a negative mind and if you have a positive outcome you have a positive income and just to have more positivity and just to kind of laugh it off. ~ Miley Cyrus

Send a message via MSN to Pessimistic Panda Send a message via Yahoo to Pessimistic Panda  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
mr_null Offline
Formerly known as mr_null
Average Joe

Re: R.I.P. SAMIE =( - May 17th 2009, 08:53 AM

Marijuana alone cannot kill anyone. All things considered it is a low-risk drug.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: R.I.P. SAMIE =( - May 17th 2009, 01:54 PM

Sucks. seriously. Was she a close friend? And do you have the article?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ridiculousness Offline
Average Joe

Re: R.I.P. SAMIE =( - May 18th 2009, 02:11 AM

Are you sure all she smoked was marijuana? There are no reports of marijuana being the cause of death. It had to have been laced...

That's horrible though. :c Poor girl.

Help my little eggiweggs! =D Prease?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: R.I.P. SAMIE =( - May 18th 2009, 05:21 PM

That's awful and i'm very sorry to hear that, but I don't believe there's any way your friend could have died single handedly from marijuana. There's never been a documented case of marijuana ever killing anybody and there's absolutely nothing in it that can kill anyone unless it's laced heavily with another drug, was grown improperly, or if your friend had some type of medical condition etc. She may have either done something else along with the weed or she didn't know the weed was laced.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: R.I.P. SAMIE =( - May 19th 2009, 05:22 PM

Hey,

I am truly sorry for what happened to your friend. It is never a good choice to abuse any drug. While I have seen no evidence that smoking marijuana can lead to shock related death there are still risk factors associated with its use. Marijuana use fortunately does not produce many negative physical side effects. However, it can have a big impact on your mental well being which is just as important. Smoking marijuana in high doses can cause extreme paranoia which in reality is an acute psychotic reaction to the drug. Studies have shown that long term use of marijuana puts users at a higher risk for anxiety, depression, suicidal ideation, and schizophrenia. This isn't the case for all users but do you really want to gamble with your mental health like that? There are also a slew of short term side effects that could lead to a poor academic performance and risky situations. These short term side effects include problems with memory and learning, distorted perception , trouble with thinking and problem solving, loss of motor coordination, and increased heart rate. During your teen years and up until your early twenties your brain is still developing. The part of your brain still developing is associated with impulse control and decision making. Basically, young adult's capacity to think through problems and make wise decisions is already a little diminished simply due to lack of a fully developed brain. When you add a substance like marijuana into the mix that further diminishes your capacity to make smart decisions it is likely you will engage in unsafe behavior or do something you'll later regret. I don't personally believe in the 'gateway drug' argument (that smoking marijuana will inevitably lead to the abuse of stronger drugs). However, that theory does prove to be true a lot of the time. It is best to keep ALL drugs out of your life. They aren't worth it in the end and create way more damage than good. If anyone reading this is thinking about trying drugs for the first time or even trying a new drug please PM me or at least think about what you're really doing. In the end, while smoking marijuana may not kill you it certainly isn't a smart decision. Save yourself from the heartache and live drug free.

Lots of love <3 Mimi

Sources:
http://www.nida.nih.gov/infofacts/marijuana.html
http://www.nida.nih.gov/MarijBroch/teenpg7-8.html

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
_Christ lover- Offline
Average Joe

Name: Emily

Re: R.I.P. SAMIE =( - May 22nd 2009, 04:06 PM

yes if she was drinking and smoking weed at the same time that is fatal since see weed is a drug that can often PREVENT you from throwing up. (that's why it is starting to be use for medercial purposes where as alcohol throwing up is your body's way of saying woah you have had too much to drink so you throw up to get it out of your system, but because weed keeps you from throwing up it is easier than normal to get alcohol poisoning which is often fatal without immedate treatment. Therefore, yes between the two quite a few people die from this. I learned that in health and so yeah I didn't make this up. However, OP I am VERY sorry this happenned if you would like PM me any time and I will do my best to talk you through it. I hope people learned a hard lesson from this as well.
  Send a message via AIM to _Christ lover- Send a message via MSN to _Christ lover-  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: R.I.P. SAMIE =( - May 24th 2009, 03:30 AM

Actually it is possible to die alone from just marijuana. I only know this because in school everyone was assigned a drug to do research on and i recieved marijuana. Although i didn't read this directly from a computer screen, only because I am banned from the computers, but I did recieve a huge packet of print outs from the computer, so same thing I guess.
ANYWHO;
When I was reading it there was an artlicle of about a man who died from only marijuana. I know it's hard to believe, but there were tests run and everything, so there was no other drugs or alcohol in his body.
So yes someone can alone die from marijuana.
Oh and to add, this man had no illnesses or anything else wrong with him, just a regular marijuana user.

I'm so sorry for your loss, even if you weren't close to the person it still hurts because you knew them.
My friend lost a cousin to an accidental overdose and though I didn't know her cousin very well it still hit me just as bad as if it was someone close to me.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
franz1 Offline
Out of the box thinker
Junior TeenHelper

Name: brady shaw

Re: R.I.P. SAMIE =( - May 24th 2009, 06:18 AM

amen to that. that is exactly the message that people nowadays need to hear!

p.s:sorry about your friend. my prayers are with you and her family.

Helen: I'm someone who has chosen to embrace the broad spectrum of our reality.

​“Levity helps keep far more insidious things at bay.”
Dr. Helen Magnus, “Sanctuary For All”
SANCTUARY

“Feeling safe is something we all need.”
Dr. Will Zimmerman, “Sanctuary For All”
SANCTUARY

“We learn more from failure than from success.”
Nikola Tesla, “END OF NIGHTS” PART II
SANCTUARY

“Life without purpose isn’t… life.”
Will Zimmerman, “PAVOR NOCTURNUS”
SANCTUARY
  Send a message via Skype™ to franz1 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: R.I.P. SAMIE =( - May 24th 2009, 05:53 PM

How exactly did that man die solely from marijuana? I just don't understand that. The only thing I can think of that would kill someone from smoking weed would be adverse health effects to anxiety from the high or if it was laced or had some type of pesticides on it. If you could post a link to that article/story I think I could get a better understanding of how he died, but honestly millions upon millions of people will keep smoking weed no matter what, because these are cases that very few people experience obviously seeing as how you never, ever hear of anyone dying from pot. If you know what's in your weed, who you're getting it from and if you can handle the high, I highly doubt you'll die from weed. I believe there are far worse drugs out there that people should be more aware of then marijuana, such as the growing prescription medication epidemic or increasing deaths from alcohol and cigarettes.

I did a little research and found this article that kind of reinforces my theories:

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/v...stionID=000231

Last edited by peaceSRC; May 24th 2009 at 06:30 PM.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
wanderlust Offline
zz
Junior TeenHelper

Re: R.I.P. SAMIE =( - May 24th 2009, 06:29 PM

holy moley, thats really sad. It will make me think twice.

A single thread in a tapestry
Through its color brightly shine
Can never see its purpose
In the pattern of the grand design

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: R.I.P. SAMIE =( - May 24th 2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceSRC View Post
If you could post a link to that article/story I think I could get a better understanding of how he died...
Like I said in school I am banned from the computers, so I don't know what website it came from.
I think that fuisarox posted this because people probably know they could die from the worse drugs out there, but they don't know that it is possible to die from a low caution drug like marijuana.
Sure, people will keep smoking it, but now they know that it IS possible to die from it.

I'm sorry if this sounded rude because I wasn't trying to be. We have different views/opinions, but I respect yours as I expect you to respect mine.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
mr_null Offline
Formerly known as mr_null
Average Joe

Re: R.I.P. SAMIE =( - May 27th 2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohohgummy View Post
but they don't know that it is possible to die from a low caution drug like marijuana.
It's actually impossible to die from marijuana alone:

"92 mg/kg THC intravenously produced no fatalities in monkeys. These doses would be comparable to a 154-pound human smoking at one time almost three pounds (1.28 kg) of 1%-marihuana or 250,000 times the usual smoked dose and over a million times the minimal effective dose assuming 50% destruction of the THC by smoking. "

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/...j_overdose.htm

Three pounds is a ridiculous amount of weed, nobody could ever smoke even anywhere near that amount.

Nobody has officially died from marijuana alone, and this is because marijuana alone is not lethal.

More info:
http://blog.norml.org/2009/05/14/don...t-pot-so-what/

(#15 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: R.I.P. SAMIE =( - May 30th 2009, 06:25 PM

Right. I figured. I think if marijuana actually was lethal on its own, without any pesticides or lacing done to it, that everybody would know this and be aware of it because the amount of people becoming open minded to marijuana is booming each year and more legalizations and and even the possibility of decriminilization is rising. Like look at Amsterdam, do we ever hear of deaths coming from the dope heads over there? Their crime rate is very low, the people are peaceful and I doubt it'd be such a non chalant past time in other countries if it were lethal. Until i've seen hard evidence of this, I can't believe it. I'm on science's side. This situation with your friend though is still really sad and I hope you're able to recover from this with time OP.

Closed Thread