TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alisha aka Summer

Question Could this be potentially bad? - May 17th 2009, 11:59 PM

I'm not sure if this should go on drug and alcohol, or health. Feel free to move it if you need to.

A few weeks ago, I was with a few friends cruising around, and we were at a drive threw waiting and the car was in park, I was the one driving. We had just finished a blunt, but it wasn't a lot, and shared between at least four people. A friend sitting behind me put me in the choke hold, we were play fighting. The last thing I remember was my air being cut off. Then I woke up and everyone was screaming at me and shaking me and I thought I was driving or something cuz I saw I was in the drivers seat and I though I fell asleep and they were telling me to wake up. I had no idea what had just happened, when I woke up color slowly faded in and next to come back to me what sound, and then feeling. They said it lasted about 5 seconds. I then learned I did not just black out, I started "flopping like a fish" and I quote. So a seizure? And my right foot went dead and pushed on the accelerator, we were very lucky the truck was in park. The car started shaking because my foot went so heavy. What could have caused this? I felt I was only in the choke hold for a few seconds, thats not enough for me to run out of air is it? Or could my memory of what I DO remember just be foggy?

What could this all mean? I only had about 3 hits off the blunt, so surely the weed was not the reason? Or could it? I have smoked plenty of weed before then, and after then, and nothing had happened to me. Any ideas?

Oh, btw, it was about three weeks ago.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Could this be potentially bad? - May 18th 2009, 02:39 AM

Seizures are not something to brush off. If you think you have had a seizure, and other people witnessed what happened and also thought you had a seizure, you should see a medical professional immediately. You won't get in trouble with them for having smoked weed, so don't leave that out--I'm not sure if that could or could not cause a seizure.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Could this be potentially bad? - May 18th 2009, 11:36 AM

it's probably unrelated to the weed to be honest, but you never know. as Jessie has already said, a seizure is something potentially serious and you should definitely seek medical advice. we're not doctors so can't tell you what has caused it, but it definitely sounds like something.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#4 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Could this be potentially bad? - May 18th 2009, 05:15 PM

I doubt it had anything to do with the weed. 3 hits from an almost finished blunt shared between 4 people really wouldn't do much to you to begin with. Maybe the weed triggered something in your body or uncovered a medical condition you may have? I strongly suggest you go to the doctor and tell them exactly what happened. Because of patient/doctor confidentiality you're safe to tell the doctor what happened especially if it's vital information to helping uncover what happened to you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: Could this be potentially bad? - May 18th 2009, 05:36 PM

Hey,

I spent a some time researching whether or not smoking marijuana could induce a seizure. I found every little information on the subject but from what I did find it looks like that is certainly a possibility. I highly recommend talking to your parents about this and scheduling a doctor's appointment. In the mean time it would be smartest to refrain from smoking. Seizures are very serious and it is important that the cause of your latest episode is discovered as soon as possible. In any situation it is crucial to be honest with your doctor. It is in your best interest to tell him all the details about what happened and what you were doing at the time because that very well may have contributed to it. I am not sure where you are located but I know in the United States at 16 you can request to talk to your doctor alone. If it would be easier to be honest with your doctor without your parents present then request some privacy. Also, until this is all sorted out I would highly recommend that you refrain from driving as well. Take care and be safe.

Lots of love <3 Mimi

Sources:
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/286661-overview
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pag...geindex=1#page

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alisha aka Summer

Re: Could this be potentially bad? - May 18th 2009, 10:46 PM

Thanks guys, I'll see if i can get a doctor's appointment to check it out!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: Could this be potentially bad? - May 23rd 2009, 05:59 AM

Hey,

I'm glad you decided to make a doctor's appointment. I hope it isn't anything too serious. It is best to know so you can take proper precautions and prevent anything like that happening again. Until you know for sure what caused the potential seizure I highly recommend refraining from smoking. It isn't a good idea to put yourself at risk like that. Also, make sure to be as honest as possible with your doctor. They are not there to judge you. They are there to help you. If you don't tell the doctors about your drug use they might never find out what is causing this. You don't go to the doctor's with a broken arm and tell them your leg hurts. You have to be open and honest with them if you want them to be able to help you. I hope everything works out for you. Take care and stay safe.

Lots of love <3 Mimi

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

Closed Thread