TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
debra Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,170, Level: 9 Points: 4,170, Level: 9 Points: 4,170, Level: 9

addiction and disability - August 16th 2016, 07:04 AM

Is addiction a disability? It was something that my uncle said
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: addiction and disability - August 17th 2016, 02:35 AM

Personally, I don't think addiction is a disability. I think it can result from a disability though. What I mean is that there are a lot of people that use substances to cope with certain disabilities that they have. For example, some people drink to feel better when they are feeling really depressed. It's an escape. But, no, the actual addiction isn't a disability.

But, I think there are going to be people who are going to say differently. I don't know if there is a 'right' or 'wrong' answer to this.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
NeuroBeautiful Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24

Re: addiction and disability - August 19th 2016, 09:39 PM

Addiction can worsen a pre-existing psychiatric condition. It can be debilitating physically and cognitively t if you are dependent on substances for instance(as an example but any addiction can impact you in several ways). However like Jenna said, I don't think addiction is a disability in itself but rather a problematic way to cope. Think of a child at school who gas a learning disorder. If overlooked, it can seem that the secondary problems such as procrastination on homework is the main issue when really there can be a hidden learning disability and the procrastination emerged from the emotional difficulties of struggling with school work and not knowing why.
I think addiction works that way too (it is my personal observation that there are parallels between procrastination and addictive tendencies as both are about running away from an underlying emotional problem. In fact procrastination is like an avoidance habit and can simoltaneously lead to addiction of activities like gambling and gaming)

In other words the addiction and disability are related but not one in the same. You can have one without the other. Disability seems like it is the more of a root cause than the addiction or rather the emotional pain and sometimes trauma that come with a disability. It is possible to cope with a disability in a positive healthy way. However addictions and any other harmful coping mechanism can probably have long term impact on your brain and rest of the body so much so that the addiction leads to a disability or a disabling condition, including physical, medical, mental, emotional or cognitive etc
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
obelus Offline
divided yet whole

I've been here a while

Name: Oliver
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 59,995, Level: 35 Points: 59,995, Level: 35 Points: 59,995, Level: 35

Re: addiction and disability - August 21st 2016, 05:03 AM

I agree with the above posters in that addiction in itself is not a disability. Some people consider self-injury (such as cutting or burning) an addiction. It can be considered an addiction due to the chemicals released in the brain when a person self-injures. Self-injury itself is not a disability, but the reason a person self-injures may be. For example, some people have depression or anxiety to the extent that it severely disables them. It could therefore be considered a disability in some cases.

Addiction is also not considered a disability in most US states in the sense that they will not give a person disability benefits or some others if they only suffer from addiction or if their primary disability is worsened by addiction. Although, most insurances do cover certain treatments for addiction.

“Peace is power”
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Brooke
Not a n00b

Name: Brooke

Points: 5,504, Level: 10 Points: 5,504, Level: 10 Points: 5,504, Level: 10

Re: addiction and disability - August 22nd 2016, 06:50 AM

i do not believe addiction is a dissability,i see it as a health issue, and although it differs from others health issues as people are seen to have choice, but really addiction is a compulsion or need to use no matter the harm, but like most health issues you can only recover if you accept treatment, i do believe a pre-disposition to addiction exist and although i wouldnt consider it a disabilty in such terms it can be seen as one due to the fact it is already there and up to the person to be extra careful around substances and always keeping in mind the earlie they start to use the more likely addiction will resultso not esactly a disability but more a health issue that can be managed or terminal depending on treatment
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: addiction and disability - September 4th 2016, 08:44 PM

I agree with the other responses you have received.
There is some debate as to whether or not addiction can be considered a disability because it causes debilitating life circumstances for some people if severe enough however, medically and federally (in the US), it is not a disability.
There is treatment for addiction becasue healthcare professionals realize that addiction is a symptom of a deeper rooted problem and they know that both the root problem leading to the addictive behavior(s) and the addiction itself need to be treated.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Pronouns: They / them

Points: 67,912, Level: 37 Points: 67,912, Level: 37 Points: 67,912, Level: 37

Re: addiction and disability - September 16th 2016, 12:23 AM

addiction isn't a dissability but people with dissabilites might be more prone to certain addcitions like for example people with autisim and usually more prone to self harm in one way or another. but addiction itself is not dissability. if someone is an alcoholic and drinks alot yes it does stop them functioning the way they like usually would but its not a dissability.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.
Closed Thread