TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SadAwkwardKid Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy Afraid of becoming addicted - November 30th 2016, 02:02 PM

I started drinking at 14 or 15, not heavily and I did it with my parents' permission. But then I started getting more depressed and my relationship with my parents got even worse, I started stealing alcohol from them and making my own drinks when they weren't home. I originally started stealing paracetamol/ibuprofen from my parents at maybe 15 and then low-dose codeine because I was stressed about school and exams. I moved on to higher doses of codeine after I failed at running away from home. So, that's it. That's what happened so far. I still take the paracetamol and ibuprofen recreationally, I want codeine but my parents will notice if it's gone. I take the pills like it's nothing, I don't really think about what's happening when I'm about to take them but I don't want to. Because then I'll worry too much about the side-effects. I really want codeine and I really want alcohol, I've been checking the refrigerator and medicine cabinet but there's nothing I can take without it being noticed. My friends also smoke weed and I want to be able to buy some but they don't think I'm "cool" enough for that, they've never given me the opportunity.

I don't know what I should do because I know I'm falling into a trap and it's only going to get harder to quit. I'm really torn because I feel like I don't want to quit but I know it's good for me. I want to be able to do it on my own. I don't want to tell my therapist because he'll tell my parents. Whenever I think about drugs, I've been using a stress ball but it's not working 100%.

Can I do get out of this myself and what do I do to prevent an addiction?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Afraid of becoming addicted - November 30th 2016, 04:33 PM

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out.

I have struggled with a couple different types of addiction as well. I was heavily addicted to pain killers and alcohol. Eventually became addicted to my sleeping pills and my Ativan.

I'm not a professional but from what you've said above it sounds like you're going down a very dangerous road. Addiction is hard to recover from once you become heavily addicted. It gets to the point where you go through severe withdrawals where you would eventually need medical support to stop (or something severe could happen) or worse, you might wind up passing away.

I'm not sure what country you live in as it doesn't say, but I highly recommend calling one of the hotlines for addiction. I also recommend mentioning to your doctor about what's going on as he/she would have some more recommendations on what kind of resources are available in your neighbouhood. I'm not sure if there's an age minimum to go to an AA meeting in your area, but you should look into that as well.

I really hope you can get out of this scary downhill slope that you're going down. Let us know what you decide to do.

Stay Strong
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Afraid of becoming addicted - December 1st 2016, 09:45 PM

Hey there,

In truth, I think you need to tell your doctor about this so that they can help you. They will be able to tell you what resources you have available. I don't think there is an age limit for AA but I could be wrong so you might want to look that up online or call your local AA chapter and see if you would be welcome.

While you might not be addicted now (I am not confirming or denying it) it is likely that you will be addicted at some point. Also, the longer you continue doing this the worse it will be and without support I think it's really hard to kick any habit.

I hope this helped and I am wishing you the best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Afraid of becoming addicted - December 4th 2016, 12:13 AM

There is nothing remotely recreational about ibuprofen or paracetamol- they are not psychoactive drugs and have no narcotic properties. So there is no risk of becoming addicted to those-- but abusing them is not doing anything but potentially causing side effects or damage to your body. Both of those can damage the stomach lining if used frequently, and paracetamol is toxic to the liver if taken high doses. Abusing alcohol at the same time as taking very high doses of paracetamol will significantly magnify the toxic effects to the liver. In fact, paracetamol is a significant factor in many cases of liver disease -especially in people who drink a lot of alcohol frequently. So you should definitely stop with that. You aren't getting anything from it anyways.

Using alcohol like that increases your risk of becoming addicted- especially since you are not even 18 yet. You won't become dependent on alcohol unless you have access to it every day- but you can still get to the point that you can no longer control it or moderate it- just like an alcoholic-if you do this very frequently.

Closed Thread