TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
RiggedSystem Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Keaton Randolph

Tempted - December 18th 2016, 08:43 AM

So I've been pretty tempted to smoke pot. Now that may not seem like a big deal to some, it is to me. Both my parents, my step mom and the family friends that I live with are in recovery. Narcotics Anonymous mainly. I've practically grown up in meetings, hearing people share their horror stories from their time shooting up. And it's not like I can just avoid people who use either. The family friends I live with, their son rents out the garage and is into some hardcore shit. I keep reminding myself of the stuff I've heard in meetings, hoping that it will help me steer clear, but nothing works. It's always right when I get home from school, I keep thinking it will help me forget about all the work, the dicks in my English class, everything.

It's getting harder and harder not to go out to the garage and pay said family friend for a gram. What should I do? I've been having a debate with myself the last few days and thought the peeps on here could help. Any suggestions? Any and all would help.

Thanks,
TheRiggedSytem

Official writer and creator of The Rigged System, a blog for helping teens with mental health issues. Come check it out at:
http://riggedsystem.weebly.com/

Last edited by Onism.; December 29th 2016 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Moving to more appropriate forum :)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
C.A.S.P.E.R.R Offline
Dre's Local Weirdo <3
Average Joe

Name: Casper

Re: Tempted - December 19th 2016, 02:41 AM

Hi. Name is Casper. And I smoke pot. I am also younger than you. I am 13. And I smoke pot. I also smoke extc. But as a pot-head im telling you this right now. Pot fucks up your life big time. I started smokin it when I was 11 and I cant go a day without smoking it. Pot is very addicting. You will get addicted to the taste and how it makes you feel. Some people who smoke pot get very aggressive when they are around certain people. Pot also makes you isolate yourself from the human world. Pot makes you distance. Pot gets to your head and will make you do decisions that you will regret when you are clean and sober. Im tellin ya, it seems fun at the time but pot gets you very addictive real fast.

Feel free to PM me anytime.
Best of Luck
~
Yours truly, Casper

W(women)
H(honoring)
O(one another)
R(rising)
E(eternally)

Salanghae, best friend, salanghae <3

"Bro, I don't know why people at school treats you like sh*t, your actually a very nice girl"- A.G

"Oh I figured out your first name, I dont know why you don't like it, it is a very pretty name"- A.G

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Brittany

Re: Tempted - December 19th 2016, 06:48 PM

Hi Keaton,

I know how hard urges to smoke weed is to deal with. Everyone says that weed is non addictive which makes it better to do than alcohol. I don't think that's right at all. I believe that weed is just as addicting as alcohol.

I have done some hard drugs in my life as well, however, I can tell you it is not worth it at all. It will mess with your body and you will be paying for it the rest of your life. I highly recommend watching the TV show called Intervention, it will help you realize how dangerous hard drugs can be in your life. Most people who become addicted to those end up on the streets, they have no friends, family or money. You might even end up dead, I have lost a couple friends due to this.

I highly recommend you don't go down that road. Find something else to do when you have the urge to smoke weed. Watch TV, drink water, workout, listen to music. Hopefully by doing that it will distract your mind so that you won't have to deal with the urges too long. Definitely reach out to drug counselors in your area.

Stay strong
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Tempted - December 28th 2016, 08:33 AM

Using to escape is the path to addiction.

Try instead look for a group or class in mindfulness meditation, or yoga, or qi-gong, or tai-chi, which are mindfulness motion exercises. This can give the same calming soothing effect as drugs. and it's healthy for the brain. It's taught to addicts to help them recover.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: Tempted - December 30th 2016, 10:09 PM

I am in recovery and any time I start to get a craving or want to get high/drunk...I force myself to sit for a moment and think about the aftermath. How will I feel the next day? It usually works...I would feel really bad and disappointed in myself. If I smoke pot, the "what if's" they talk about in meetings, may just actually happen. Jail, Hospitals, and Death. Now, I am not saying that will all happen to you or anything...But if I play the tape forward just a little bit, it helps me to stay calm. That process I will also use for other addictions like SH, Alcohol, etc...

If that doesn't help, what about finding a local meeting? Just go and sit and listen...that usually helps me as well.

No one can force you to not go in that garage and do all that...you have to be willing to not do it. You have to want to not do it.

Take care. xx

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Chazzz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: Tempted - January 2nd 2017, 11:05 AM

Hello.

Sounds as though you're already ingrained in the drug community by proxy of your family. Use this to educate yourself.

Get down to session early and pull the support to one side. Explain your thoughts and your background and that the group sessions clearly aren't having an impact on you. Request a buddy, someone who started where you're considering going and ended up in the darkest of places. Meet them weekly for a coffee and share experiences. You'll develop a personal understanding that makes the issues a great deal more real and tough to take than a stranger telling you a story in a dank room.

You can make a stronger, more informed decision from there.

Last edited by Chazzz; January 2nd 2017 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Typo

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Tempted - January 2nd 2017, 01:54 PM

You're struggling, which absolutely makes it a big deal. While pot may not be physically addicting like some other substances, it can absolutely be mentally addicting. The fact that you want to use it as an escape means it would probably become mentally addicting for you. You said you usually think about it when you get home from school and want to forget about all the work and the dicks in your class, but even if you did choose to smoke those things won't go away. You'll still have work, and the dicks will still be in your class. All it'll do is make you ignore it.

You said their son rents the garage and is into hardcore shit, do his parents know? I'm guessing if they're in recovery themselves they wouldn't want it in their house. If they don't know, I also understand not wanting to say anything. Just something to think about.

What part of the work are you wanting to forget about? Do you get a lot of homework that has to get done and is stressful? Do you just think about all the work you did that day? It might help to try to think of other ways to directly deal with the things that make you want to smoke. As for dicks at school, is it just that one class? Have you tried speaking to someone about it? Try to remember that it won't be long before you probably never have to see them again.

Try to find some other distractions, I saw exercise mentioned and I think that's a great idea. Even if you have no work out equipment, there's always running (assuming it's safe to do so where you live). You could also find something you really want to save up for as motivation to not spend money on pot. I also agree with going to meetings or seeking help from someone else with some experience.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#8 (permalink)) Old
hoʻonani i ka makua mau
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Re: Tempted - January 16th 2017, 10:56 PM

Hi Keaton,

It sounds like you are really stressed. I'm sorry that you are going through all of this right now. I've been in similar experiences and while it might seem like doing drugs is an easy way out right now, that can have consequences. If you're already feeling stressed or not in the right state of mind, I personally wouldn't recommend smoking pot as a way to escape from it.

Also if you are living with people who are currently in NA, it is also important that you
support them in their recoveries as well. This means that avoiding abusing substances and helping to set an example for your household and not enabling yourself and others to abuse.

Like has been suggested, do you have any positive ways of coping with stress? You have a great support network here on TH, but there are also tons of people who can help you in person. as well. Have you tried talking with a counselor or mental healthcare provider about your stresses? They can help you come up with your own positive coping mechanisms as well as provide an unbiased space to discuss and explore your feelings and stresses.

Stay strong! You can do it!

Closed Thread