TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
JustTheKeags Offline
Meme a Day Keeps th Feels Away
Average Joe

Name: Keagan

rehab… again. - May 23rd 2017, 03:18 AM

ive been to rehab once befor, but that w2weeks ago, and only for 3 days. it was nice, but now that finals is almost over, i have to go for an entire month. has anyone had to go to sleepaway rehab for this long? if so, what are some tips i should know about? also, how bad is sleepaway rehab? 3 days is really short (and not helpful, as i relapsed about 4 days later).

(#2 (permalink)) Old
let'sjusttalk Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: rehab… again. - May 23rd 2017, 10:10 PM

I have not been to rehab but I'm sure you will be fine. You need to remember that it is to make you better. You need to try and keep yourself calm so you can get better for your sake.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: rehab… again. - May 24th 2017, 12:18 AM

Lots of people go to rehab for about 28 days - two of my good friends did. It's how long lots of programs are, some are eeven longer. Addiction is really hard and it's not going to to away with just 2 weeks.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#4 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: rehab… again. - May 24th 2017, 02:36 AM

I've never personally been to rehab myself but my brother has - several times. Depending on the program he was in, he was there anywhere from a month to about 4 or 5 months. Your recovery depends on you, though. You're not going to get any better until you come to terms that you're ready to get better. The staff members can sit there all day and tell you ways to cope, ways to overcome addiction, and how to better yourself but if you're not ready to get better then their help is only going to go through one ear and right out the other.
While I can't tell you exactly how it's going to go because every place varies, there are a lot of group sessions, individual sessions, and check-ins with your team. It's going to be a lot of repeating yourself, a lot of telling your story/your history and your substance use history.
I hope everything gets better for you! And I hope you find rehab useful. Best of luck!

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
JustTheKeags Offline
Average Joe

Re: rehab… again. - May 24th 2017, 05:26 AM

over the past few weeks, i've cut down on my drug use. i am down to one tab of adderal a day(sometimes two, dependig on my finals) i only drink a liittle bit per week, and I only had a little bit of lean. thanks for the support. i've been getting better and better, and everyone deserves a thank you. Everyone on TH is great. I get tospend funntime with mah gurl, and then, whees! rehab!
I am going to try to bring my kinde paperwhite(it has a browser. im currently using it) so I can post something I found while cleaning my room.

I have insparational quotes(46 to be exact) that I am going to post every week. (i made these while high, so dont judge)

thank you all so much,
-Keagan

(#6 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: rehab… again. - May 24th 2017, 09:41 AM

I think 3 months is minimum needed in a residential place for enough brain healing to take place to be significant. It should be a pleasant place to live. 6 to 9 months is ideal, though often just too expensive, so people switch to outpatient instead.

The idea is to create a pleasant place to live, have a structured life, mix fun social activities with processing groups and create a balanced life where the brain can heal, there are no triggers, nothing to remind one of past drug use, so the environment needs to be different, and happy and pleasant, so there's no stress to trigger drug use.

Keep this up for a year, as it takes a full year for the brain to heal itself, and you've reached a major milestone if you can make that.

The groups are to help build a social support network.

There may be a tiny amount of classes, explaining why it is important to have a lot of fun in life and stay away from stress, and how stress leads to relapse, and how one shouldn't sit in class all day listening to this stuff, because hey we just told you it's important to have a balanced and structured life, so let's go do something fun now, because that's how we recover from addiction.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: rehab… again. - May 24th 2017, 05:55 PM

Hey Keagan!

Thanks for posting here!

I am sorry that you relapsed but know that this is common in addictions. I am a recovery alcohol and have used drugs (though not been addicted) so even though I will never fully understand what you're going through, I can relate. And if you want to talk abut any of it, know you're more than welcome to us here or to private message me anytime.

I am not sure what you mean by sleepaway rehab? I have been to rehab (stay was 1 year and 7 month) however that was for my mental health. I've been on a few psych wards which had detox beds and I was admitted into my local ward a few times for both detox and my mental health.

I am not sure whether you are going to rehab for alcohol addiction or drug addiction (?). If it is alcohol addiction, you may be put on a medication called Librium. Often people are on it for 3-7 days and it will help with the withdrawal. I was on it for about 10 days and it did help but it was still very hard. Over the period you are on Librium, it will gradually be reduced. As the alcohol starts to go out of your system, it should become more manageable. Units that specalise in detox sometimes have group therapy once or day but sometimes all day (With breaks) and that might involve doing work for the therapy in your own time too. I have also been on wards were detox patients would attend an AA meeting or NA meeting a few times a week and this care would be transferred into the community after 2-4 weeks.

If you have any questions or worries, please talk to us about them. You're not alone and we will always try to help you as much as we can. I know it's scary but it might just change your life. Its going to be hard but may well be very worth it.

I hope you're doing okay,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#8 (permalink)) Old
JustTheKeags Offline
Average Joe

Re: rehab… again. - May 25th 2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by del677 View Post
I think 3 months is minimum needed in a residential place for enough brain healing to take place to be significant. It should be a pleasant place to live. 6 to 9 months is ideal, though often just too expensive, so people switch to outpatient instead.

The idea is to create a pleasant place to live, have a structured life, mix fun social activities with processing groups and create a balanced life where the brain can heal, there are no triggers, nothing to remind one of past drug use, so the environment needs to be different, and happy and pleasant, so there's no stress to trigger drug use.

Keep this up for a year, as it takes a full year for the brain to heal itself, and you've reached a major milestone if you can make that.

The groups are to help build a social support network.

There may be a tiny amount of classes, explaining why it is important to have a lot of fun in life and stay away from stress, and how stress leads to relapse, and how one shouldn't sit in class all day listening to this stuff, because hey we just told you it's important to have a balanced and structured life, so let's go do something fun now, because that's how we recover from addiction.
Thank you for the Insight. I have gone to residential rehab(Palm, residential iswhat I meant by sleepaway. I couldn't find the right word at the time, sorry for the confusion )
for a week, so my parents would know if I could get better there. The original plan was to go for 1 year, but they want my to go to school and the only reason I agreed was because they said I could stay in marching band (one of the few things I care about) and we finally came to an agreement a few hours ago (around 7 hours ago). I have Rehab until band camp (it's better than the movie!) starts. I get to then go have fun with therapy and bi-weekly drug tests. yay.
Thank you all so much for the help with my issues. I love the huge amount of support I get from every one.

-Keags

Closed Thread