TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Mirabelle Offline
Owl Whisperer
Average Joe

Name: Mirabelle

Points: 4,257, Level: 9 Points: 4,257, Level: 9 Points: 4,257, Level: 9

Contains Alcohol: Zuppa Inglese al Limoncello, an Italian Trifle - March 25th 2018, 06:48 PM

"Disclaimer: Be sure to follow any laws regarding alcohol purchase where you live. Do not purchase alcohol if you are under the legal age. Also, the alcohol is used for cooking purposes only and is not intended for abuse. Use discretion when purchasing alcohol."

Memorable and sumptuous, Zuppa Inglese al Limoncello is a delicious Italian trifle with a bit more of a kick due to its limoncello content. The blueberries are rich in antioxidents and vitamin C. This would make a glorious weekend dessert for family and looks quite impressive in a glass bowl such as above. It's very rich.

Serves 6 to 8

200g golden caster sugar
100ml Limoncello liqueur
300g blueberries
1/2 teaspoon arrowroot, mixed to a smooth paste with 2 tablespoons cold water
5 eggs, separated
250g mascarpone
6 heaped tablespoons lemon curd
1 pandoro cake, cut into 2cm slices (or Panettone)
550ml double cream
Handful of toasted flaked almonds

Put half the sugar and 300ml water in a medium saucepan and dissolve over a medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Measure off 80ml of the sugar syrup into a bowl, pour in the Limoncello, mix well and set aside to cool.

Add most of the blueberries to the pan with the remaining sugar syrup and cook over a medium heat for 2 minutes until they are beginning to release some of their juice. (Reserve a few for decoration.)

Stir the arrowroot paste into the pan with the blueberries and cook for a further minute, stirring continuously. Allow to cool.

Place the egg yolks and the remaining sugar in a large bowl and whisk until pale and thick. Beat in the mascarpone and lemon curd mixture. Place a layer of Pandoro in a large 1.5-litre glass serving bowl. Brush with a third of the Limoncello syrup, then spread with a third of the curd mixture.

Top with a third of the berries and their syrup. Repeat the layers twice, brushing the cake with the remaining Limoncello syrup, and ensuring the top layer is the lemon curd mixture.

Cover the bowl with clingfilm and chill for 5 hours or overnight. To serve, whip the cream to soft peaks and spread evenly over the trifle. Scatter with the reserved blueberries and toasted flaked almonds.

Last edited by Mirabelle; March 27th 2018 at 12:24 PM.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 107,399, Level: 46 Points: 107,399, Level: 46 Points: 107,399, Level: 46

Re: Contains Alcohol: Zuppa Inglese al Limoncello, an Italian Trifle - March 27th 2018, 10:08 PM

This looks soooooooo good! I'm going to tell my mom about this and try making it with her. Thank you so much for sharing this with us
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Contains Alcohol: Zuppa Inglese al Limoncello, an Italian Trifle - March 27th 2018, 10:11 PM

This sounds so good.

I have a few questions and I hope you can answer them:

Is this a harder recipe to make? I am interested in doing this but I don't cook a lot so if it's too hard I might be overwhelmed.

Are there any substitutions that could be made for the Limoncello? I think my boyfriend would like this and I'd like to make it but he doesn't like alcohol so if a substitute was possible that would be great.

Can I skip using the blueberries? I don't tend to like them and most the people I know don't either. Would skipping ruin them or could I use blackberries etc?

For the Lemon curd, can I buy that in stores or do I have to make it?

I am really interested in trying this. Just trying to figure out if I could attempt it on my own and if I could make it for my boyfriend or if I'd be better making it for guests!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Mirabelle Offline
Owl Whisperer
Average Joe

Re: Contains Alcohol: Zuppa Inglese al Limoncello, an Italian Trifle - March 28th 2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfing girl View Post
This looks soooooooo good! I'm going to tell my mom about this and try making it with her. Thank you so much for sharing this with us
I'm most humbled you want to make this recipe. It's quite straightforward, though be aware that sugar syrup is much hotter than water so just take a little care when the the stove. Some of the alcohol will evaporate; this is normal.

The trifle is very rich, but they are what the are - extremely scrummy, mummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ View Post
This sounds so good.

I have a few questions and I hope you can answer them:

Is this a harder recipe to make? I am interested in doing this but I don't cook a lot so if it's too hard I might be overwhelmed.

Are there any substitutions that could be made for the Limoncello? I think my boyfriend would like this and I'd like to make it but he doesn't like alcohol so if a substitute was possible that would be great.

Can I skip using the blueberries? I don't tend to like them and most the people I know don't either. Would skipping ruin them or could I use blackberries etc?

For the Lemon curd, can I buy that in stores or do I have to make it?

I am really interested in trying this. Just trying to figure out if I could attempt it on my own and if I could make it for my boyfriend or if I'd be better making it for guests!
Hi there!

The recipe is straightforward to make, but you must follow the recipe exactly. Lay out the ingredients into seperate bowls on the kitchen worktop as you follow the recipe makes for easier.

You should be able to buy lemon curd in a supermarket. Making it yourself is okay, too. If you want a recipe I can find one, but later as I have band practice this morning.

Leave the blueberries out if you dislike them. Substitute with frozen blackcurrants I should think would be rather nice.

-Boiling sugar - please be careful because sugar heats at a higher temperature. I should think boyfriend would like being in on the preparation. After all, he's going to be yumming it!

Do it for yourselves first; see how you get on. The limoncello is not high in alcohol compared to other trifle recipes. I reckon you'll do it fine. *Thumbs up*
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Mirabelle Offline
Owl Whisperer
Average Joe

Re: Contains Alcohol: Zuppa Inglese al Limoncello, an Italian Trifle - March 28th 2018, 02:04 PM

Well, hello again! I thought we should have the option of making lemon curd if it can't be found in the shops.

Wilkin's Lemon Curd, however, is made in small batches and is as good as it gets. It's worth seeking out. They also make a rather lovely pipless raspberry jam, lovely spread over unsalted butter on nice crunchy breakfast toast.

The best lemon curd is the colour of the sun and adds a sweet-sharp kick to pancakes, éclairs or a slice of toast. And despite its reputation, it's easy to make, too. Being a piglet for it, I'll double the ingredients. This recipe and words is by British food writer and cook, Nigel Slater.

"Lemon curd, that gloriously sweet-sharp preserve – a little jar of sunshine – is so much better when made at home. Good though some of the commercial stuff is, and especially when made by artisan producers, it can never match the batch you make at home. The surprise for me is that, rather than the temperamental preserve I had been warned about, making lemon curd couldn't be more straightforward.

You will need a good sharp grater, one that allows you to use just enough pressure to remove only the lemons' outermost zest. Anything below the first fine layer of zest will be bitter rather than pleasantly sour and take your curd well beyond lip-puckering. The zest should be so fine as to be indefinable in the finished preserve – this isn't marmalade.

The lemon problem: do you rinse or scrub, wipe or just rub them on your apron? Most lemons are now sold with an edible wax coating. It is greasy to the touch and turns sticky when you rinse the fruit under the tap. It is there to keep the lemons on the shop shelves for longer in good condition. Unwaxed or organic lemons are sold at a premium because they have a shorter shelf life, but they don't add wax to your lemon mousse, soufflé or curd. Given the option, I tend not to buy those without a leaf or two attached. The leaves are the ultimate clue as to how long your fruit has been off the tree, but supermarkets remove them as a matter of course.

The shops are full of rock-hard lemons. If you can wait, leave them till they are soft enough to dent with your thumb. You will get much more juice. The warmer the fruit, the more juice they will give. I leave mine in the warmth of the kitchen, or put them in the bottom of the Aga for 10 minutes before I squeeze them. Failing that, a good firm rolling on the table with the palm of your hand will do the trick.

Flip through old cookery books, particularly those from the Victorian era, and you will find many a recipe for this deeply citrus butter. It seems we have always had a taste for it, but then we have every reason to. A jar of the canary-coloured spread in the fridge is a must for stuffing pancakes, filling éclairs, spreading on toasted teacakes and cheering up a baguette or floury white loaf. But it will go a lot further than that. This silky spread is just what you need for filling meringues and for stirring into thick, Greek-style yogurt and crushed Amaretti biscuits as an instant dessert.

A couple of quickies I should also mention: you can produce an instant syllabub by stirring an equal quantity into whipped cream and serving it with crisp almond biscuits. You can also win brownie points for serving it at Sunday breakfast – spoon the curd over tiny blinis straight from the pan and top with a curl of crème fraîche.

LEMON CURD

Most lemon curd recipes instruct you to stir the mixture with a wooden spoon. I find that stirring lightly with a whisk introduces just a little more lightness into the curd, making it slightly less solid and more wobbly.

Makes 2 small jam jars

zest and juice of 4 unwaxed lemons
7oz / 200g sugar
3½ oz / 100g butter
3 eggs and 1 egg yolk

Put the lemon zest and juice, the sugar and the butter, cut into cubes, into a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, making sure that the bottom of the basin doesn't touch the water. Stir with a whisk from time to time until the butter has melted.

Mix the eggs and egg yolk lightly with a fork, then stir into the lemon mixture. Let the curd cook, stirring regularly, for about 10 minutes, until it is thick and custard-like. It should feel heavy on the whisk.

Remove from the heat and stir occasionally as it cools. Pour into spotlessly clean jars and seal. It will keep for a couple of weeks in the refrigerator."
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Mirabelle Offline
Owl Whisperer
Average Joe

Re: Contains Alcohol: Zuppa Inglese al Limoncello, an Italian Trifle - March 29th 2018, 01:36 PM

On the subject of lemon curd, here is a simply wonderful dessert that will delight friends and family.

Lemon curd parfait, winter berry jelly, with candied roses
recipe by Jason Atherton.

Serves 4
Prep time: 1 hr (not including overnight freezing, cooling and setting times)

For the lemon curd parfait:
100ml double cream
4 egg yolks
65g caster sugar
100ml buttermilk
180g lemon curd

Put the eggs and sugar in a stainless steel bowl and put on top of simmering water and whisk to make a sabayon, until it is thick andholds a figure of 8.

Then tip in to a electric mixer and beat tillcold and creamy white. Then semi whip up cream and then fold all the ingredients together and then freeze into small rings till frozen solid.

For the winter berry jelly:
18g of gelatine sheets
300ml of winter berry juice (sloes or frozen made purée is good)
110ml of stock syrup (see below)
40ml Campari
Candied roses from a good cake decorating shop (or online at MSK food)

Basic stock syrup:
150g caster sugar
300ml water
2 strips lemon zest

To serve:

Turn out the parfait onto a plate, then scoop a spoon of jelly on the
side and scatter the candied roses on top, grate a little fresh lemon
to garnish and a little spearmint.

The stock syrup from above ingredients.

This will make about 500ml of syrup, but any surplus can be kept in a sealed container in the fridge for up to three weeks and used to dress any type of summer fruit or salad.

Put the sugar and water in a small, heavy-based pan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Add the lemon zest and bring to the boil for 5 minutes. Allow to cool, then strain and transfer to a glass container with a lid, and place in the fridge until required.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Contains Alcohol: Zuppa Inglese al Limoncello, an Italian Trifle - April 4th 2018, 05:39 AM

This sounds delicious as well. If I find the time and the ingredients I'll give both the recipes a try.

Thank you for sharing.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Mirabelle Offline
Owl Whisperer
Average Joe

Re: Contains Alcohol: Zuppa Inglese al Limoncello, an Italian Trifle - April 9th 2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
This sounds delicious as well. If I find the time and the ingredients I'll give both the recipes a try.

Thank you for sharing.
Both of them are most delicious desserts and very moreish. You have been warned.

I would like to share some more cakes or various recipes, special tried and tested ones my family have gathered over time.

Are there any particular recipes you or anyone would like? I'm sure to have them.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Contains Alcohol: Zuppa Inglese al Limoncello, an Italian Trifle - April 11th 2018, 05:32 PM

I love most recipes so I think you should just consider sharing whatever you think others would like. Maybe a few more desserts and some main courses that you think others would enjoy. If you have some easier to make recipes that might be good for users who don't cook a lot.

One suggestion I have is that you make a 'share your recipe' type of thread and compile them all there so that people have an easier time looking into all the recipes that you share and if you plan on coming back and posting recipes more often the thread should stay open and myself and others will probably have questions/comments.

I can't wait to see more of your recipes though.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Mirabelle Offline
Owl Whisperer
Average Joe

Re: Contains Alcohol: Zuppa Inglese al Limoncello, an Italian Trifle - April 11th 2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I love most recipes so I think you should just consider sharing whatever you think others would like. Maybe a few more desserts and some main courses that you think others would enjoy. If you have some easier to make recipes that might be good for users who don't cook a lot.

One suggestion I have is that you make a 'share your recipe' type of thread and compile them all there so that people have an easier time looking into all the recipes that you share and if you plan on coming back and posting recipes more often the thread should stay open and myself and others will probably have questions/comments.

I can't wait to see more of your recipes though.
Hey - what a lovely suggestion and yes, I would be delighted to set up a topic called 'Share your recipe'. To have others come share their own recipes would be terrific, and we could try them out.

Mandy and I learnt cooking by watching our grandmas and other older family and took inspiration and of course, their wonderful tips.

Give me a little time to think about what people would love and I will set up topics such as Main course, Desserts, Share Your Recipes and I think a Vegetarian thread would be good, too.

I am very appreciative of your suggestions. Also, I feel I am becoming much more attached to TeenHelp. Thank you so much.

Belle
Closed Thread