TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   Triggering (Substances): Books or other reading materials on drug addiction/abuse (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t15741-books-other-reading-materials-drug-addiction-abuse/)

soul May 29th 2009 12:42 AM

Books or other reading materials on drug addiction/abuse

Hey:smile,

I guess I just don't get triggered at all. For some reason reading books (whether fictional or non-fictional) that relate to drug addiction or abuse really helps put things into perspective for me. It helps me to realize how detrimental my choices really are. Additionally, the fact that I am identifying with the addicts in my stories (although I will never admit to being an addict) is an eye opener for me. I am NOT asking for the titles of books that promote drug use or glamorize it. On the contrary, I am asking for titles of books that show the true horror of drug addiction. I guess in a sense I am trying to scare myself straight ^^. I've put myself in some very dangerous situations because of my habit and it still hasn't made me realize that I should really quit while I'm ahead. If anyone knows of any good books relating to addiction please let me know. I am open to all suggestions. Thanks for your time<3.

Lots of love <3 Mimi

Barbed Lungs May 29th 2009 12:59 AM

Re: Books or other reading materials on drug addiction/abuse

The main one that springs to mind is Go Ask Alice by Anonymous. That's all I can think of right now.

Jen May 29th 2009 02:31 AM

Hey Mimi-
Have you read Smashed by RT Koren Zailckas? It is fabulous and a real eye-opener. You can also probably try doing a search on amazon.com or another website--there are so many memoirs out there!
Take care of yourself!

soul May 29th 2009 02:42 AM

I am going to go ahead and list out the books I have read about substance abuse ^^

-Go Ask Alice
-Smashed
-Crank
-Glass
-Smack
-A Million Little Pieces
-My Friend Leonard

I can't remember any others at the moment but I'll add them if I remember

Thanks everyone<3

_serendipity_ May 30th 2009 11:54 AM

Requiem for a Dream by Hubert Selby Jr. is pretty good. It's about different kinds of addictions.
I also recommend the movie as it really gets you thinking. The book is sad as well, but the movie really shows the emotions the characters are feeling.
Also, the book could be a bit hard to follow because of his writing style uses no grammer. But I love his books.

soul May 30th 2009 12:27 PM

Hey Heather,

Thanks a ton for the suggestion. I've seen the movie and I really love it. I traditionally don't read a book if I've seen the movie first as it usually ruins it for be but I'll have to make an exception. I don't like grammar anways so It should be easy for me to get past the writing style :P.
Thanks again<33!

Lots of love<3 Mimi

_serendipity_ May 30th 2009 01:10 PM

I'm usually the same way about books and movies lol.