TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ryiga Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 3,466, Level: 8 Points: 3,466, Level: 8 Points: 3,466, Level: 8

Exclamation How to deal with life without cigarettes. - May 12th 2018, 08:22 PM

The title says it all.

I used to be able to get cigarettes by asking someone I knew to buy me some, but since he moved to Poland I hadn't been able to get any since then. It's been a week now and I just can't deal and cope with whatever shit life throws me into without smoking.

What i'm asking here for, is basically tips on how to quit or have an alternative. I have an electronic e-cigarette, but it's just not the same for me.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ryiga Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 3,466, Level: 8 Points: 3,466, Level: 8 Points: 3,466, Level: 8

Re: How to deal with life without cigarettes. - May 12th 2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryiga View Post
The title says it all.

I used to be able to get cigarettes by asking someone I knew to buy me some, but since he moved to Poland I hadn't been able to get any since then. It's been a week now and I just can't deal and cope with whatever shit life throws me into without smoking.

What i'm asking here for, is basically tips on how to quit or have an alternative. I have an electronic e-cigarette, but it's just not the same for me.
Just realized this is the wrong sub-forum, may someon move this? I don't know how/don't think I'm able to.

Last edited by Ennui.; May 20th 2018 at 03:47 AM. Reason: I moved this over for you! Sorry for the delay!
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: How to deal with life without cigarettes. - May 13th 2018, 07:35 PM

Hey there,

Since cigarettes can be addictive and difficult to quit, I think your post is fine here.

Do you know if it would be possible to ask your doctor for advice or a stop smoking organisation? I'm not sure where you are but in the UK the NHS has schemes to help people give up smoking and provide alternatives for when the cravings hit (such as nicotine gum and patches). That said, you may be underage for such products as in some places the legal age for buying cigarettes and other similar things is 18. Though it's still worth seeking professional support for!

In general, it might help to try to cope with cravings as you would with any other urge. Learning triggers- are there certain times or emotions that make you want to crave cigarettes such as stress? Once you've identified triggers, you can work on finding distractions- what can you do that helps you to forget your cravings? Some people find that exercise, doing chores around the house or using the craving feeling to do something productive so that you forget about the urge. For some general ideas, you can check out our alternatives page. You might also find it helpful to check out self help tips and help for relapses regarding smoking from the NHS.

Remember, all urges and cravings will pass

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam
Pronouns: she/her

Points: 40,657, Level: 29 Points: 40,657, Level: 29 Points: 40,657, Level: 29

Re: How to deal with life without cigarettes. - May 14th 2018, 09:59 PM

Quitting smoking is hard. There's no doubt about that. For me, it took about a year to finally lose the urge to buy a pack whenever I was stressed, anxious, or whenever I stopped at a gas station. While that might not seem like the most encouraging thing to hear off the bat, I tell you that with the hope that it shows you that it is possible to do life without cigarettes, even if it seems like an uphill battle right now.

You mentioned that you're using an e-cigarette, but that it's not the same. I currently use one as well and, while you're right that it's not the same, it has been incredibly helpful to me with quitting. I'm not sure what smoke shops carry in your country but, in the States, the juices that go in the e-cigarettes are offered with varying levels of nicotine. One thing that I found particularly helpful was to start off with a juice containing a higher nicotine level and slowly work my way down to lower levels. While the use of e-cigarettes isn't the best long term solution, it may help make the quitting process a little more bearable than quitting cold turkey.

One of the most important parts of quitting anything is finding a replacement behavior. When you feel tempted to smoke, your mind needs something to fill the void caused by quitting the original behavior. If you don't have that, the logical step becomes picking up cigarettes again. One of the key elements of finding this replacement behavior is identifying why you smoke. As the previous user stated, identifying your triggers is a huge part of this. Do you tend to smoke more when you're feeling a negative emotion? Do you do it when you're bored? You may even find that it has to do with the motion of bringing your hand to your mouth repeatedly. Once you identify what it is that makes you want to smoke, you can begin finding replacement activities to help minimize the desire to start smoking again.

I hope this helped some. I know it's a long, sometimes extremely frustrating journey, but you can do this. If you want to share your triggers or just talk about the quitting process in more depth, feel free to send me a PM or reply to this thread at any time. You've got this!

Take care!

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
joydalia38 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 2,947, Level: 8 Points: 2,947, Level: 8 Points: 2,947, Level: 8

Re: How to deal with life without cigarettes. - May 30th 2018, 08:19 AM

Try sticking to the electronic one, in 2 weeks you won't like the regular one anymore. And since this is not the same for you, eventually you will quit for good. But stick to electronic one and don't smoke the others. That's how I quit.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 3,839, Level: 9 Points: 3,839, Level: 9 Points: 3,839, Level: 9

Re: How to deal with life without cigarettes. - June 27th 2018, 07:28 PM

Quitting smoking is hard, it's addictive, so, of course, it isn't easy for most people to just leave it behind.

Since it has been about a month (or more) at this point, I hope that it is getting easier. If you are still struggling, many health and social services in communities in countries like Canada, the UK, the USA, Australia, etc offer programs to help people quit and they can refer you to products or even support groups that will help.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
RalphMcDonald Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 2,607, Level: 7 Points: 2,607, Level: 7 Points: 2,607, Level: 7

Re: How to deal with life without cigarettes. - July 26th 2018, 10:41 AM

The best thing I suggest you to completely stop smoking. I know it is very difficult for you still try to overcome it. In case you are not able to stop then you can chew nicotine gums, herbal patches which helps to get rid of addiction part in spite of cigarettes for the rest of your life and you will not get cancer.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
johnysamy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 1,365, Level: 5 Points: 1,365, Level: 5 Points: 1,365, Level: 5

Re: How to deal with life without cigarettes. - April 8th 2020, 10:06 AM

Struggling with cigarettes myself
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
johnysamy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 1,365, Level: 5 Points: 1,365, Level: 5 Points: 1,365, Level: 5

Re: How to deal with life without cigarettes. - April 8th 2020, 10:06 AM

This is good advice though