TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
sunnyxsky Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

My Sister & Marijuana (long) - June 21st 2009, 04:04 AM

I idolized my sister. She was someone who I looked up to very much. She was the best older sister there was. Sure she had her bad points, but I was able to looks past that. She was ambitious and talented. She bought me great gifts, icecream, yogurt.

Today, I was looking for vitamins in my older sister's room while she was out to work. Instead, I found marijuana, a pipe, and a lighter in her top desk drawer. I was and still am devastated. I didn't know she would do such a thing. I didn't understand why. She had her whole life ahead of her. She graduated from highschool a couple of days before. She got a scholarship into the one of the best art schools in the nation.

A couple of hours after I found the marijuana, pipe, and lighter in her desk, she came home. She bought a new dress. I asked her where she was going, and she said to a party. When she went away to the party, I checked and they were gone.

I think I should have thrown the marijuana away. But where would I throw it away? If the police somehow caught it.. what would happen? I don't want my parents to find out. I don't want my family to fall apart. My mom works 13 hours a day, seven days a week at a cafe she owns. (she does not trust anyone enough to employ them.) My dad is a stay at home dad. All my sister does at home is sleep, shower, and sometimes eat. Nonetheless, my sister and parents have a pretty good relationship.

I remember one day I helped my sister sneak out of the house. She came back the next morning with a puffy face. I thought she had cried or something.. but I looked up marijuana and it was one of the side affects from using it.

Talking to her about it would be difficult... we are 5 years apart. I'm 13 and she's 18. I don't know if I can talk to my friends about this.

Help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: My Sister & Marijuana (long) - June 21st 2009, 10:45 AM

Your sister is clearly very important to you. Although what she is doing is illegal, I hope you won't let it change the ways you see her. A week ago you didn't know your sister used marijuana, but she did. A week ago you thought very highly of her. Nothing about her has changed, the only difference is now you know a secret of hers.

Experimenting is something a lot of teenagers do. You may or may not have the urge to try marijuana at some point. If you do have that urge, you will make your own decision regarding smoking; you either will or you won't. If you believe using marijuana is wrong, that is good and I hope you are able to stand firm in your beliefs and choose not to smoke.

I'm kind of concerned about the way you are talking about your sister, though. You're speaking about her in the past tense, saying she used to be ambitious and talented, that she used to have a life ahead of her. The way you're talking almost sounds as if she is gone, when in reality she is still right there living in your house with you. She hasn't changed. Yes, she is doing something she shouldn't, but that doesn't mean she's a bad person. I hope you can see that what your sister is doing is not ruining her--she can still go to college and do well. She can still succeed in life. She can still be the big sister you love. And I'm willing to go out on a limb here and tell you that, most likely, she won't always smoke marijuana.

Try talking to her about it. Tell her you know, that you're not going to tell your parents. Promise her that you won't hold this against her and use it to blackmail her (because doing that would be very unfair.) And then ask for her side of things. Give her a chance to explain why she smokes before deciding she is completely bad for this, you know? And remember she is human, like all of us. Everyone makes mistakes; none of us are perfect.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: My Sister & Marijuana (long) - June 22nd 2009, 01:54 AM

I think you are being too hard on your sister. It is hard to deal with and a bit of a shock knowing one of your family members smokes weed, but it would be pretty rude of you to throw away her pot and even if you did I highly doubt a cop would just happen to search through your garbage in an intent to find some weed. My guess is that you don't really know that much on Marijuana seeing as how you're taking her habit so harshly. Go to Erowid.org and educate yourself on it or find many other unbiased websites on Marijuana. Those above the influence commercials are ridiculous if you've ever watched and believed them.

I'm not going to say that there aren't any downfalls to using Marijuana because there are, but Marijuana is not the worst thing your sister could be out doing. Some mild side effects of smoking weed are mild to moderate paranoia/anxiety, bloodshot eyes, slowed or irregular heart beat, slowed breathing, confusion, blurred vision etc. In all honesty, I do not believe that Marijuana is as bad as some people make it out to be. In fact, it just became legal for medical use in my state and i'm happy for that. There are some very sick people out there who use Marijuana as their medicine and imo, more power to em. I think they should be using Marijuana rather than highly addictive pain medication that makes those greedy pharm companies richer and richer.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Sparks Offline
Batteries Not Included
Average Joe

Re: My Sister & Marijuana (long) - June 28th 2009, 05:10 AM

Firstly, what is it that worries you about your sister smoking pot? Is it her health? if so, that's up to her, and all you can do is tell her that you're concerned for her well-being. If you're concerned for her mental health, just ask yourself, does she seem happy? if the answer is yes then there is no need to interfere, if the answer is no, perhaps you could sit down with her one day and just say " you know i've seen your pipe" .. then just say "why do you smoke?" i'm sure she won't mind answering you, most people aren't sensetive about smoking weed lol.

"How can you get a goose out of a bottle?"
Imagine that a baby gosling was placed inside one of those big glass bottles with a little opening that you see model ships in, and raised inside, until it is fully grown and can no longer fit out through the neck of the bottle. How can you get the goose out of the bottle? Without hurting/killing the goose.

If i don't respond, it's because you haven't said anything.

Pain is momentary media is Eternal
http://www.myspace.com/MandaG01

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Mel14 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: My Sister & Marijuana (long) - July 9th 2009, 04:08 AM

I know the feeling, finding out a secret of your older siblings that you'd rather not know. but the truth is, even though what she's doing is illegal, it's not going to destroy her life. If you want to mention it to her, go ahead. But you shouldn't worry too much. If she gets into heavier drugs, that's when you should start speaking up.

best wishes,
meghan

I'm a house of cards in a hurricane.
A reckless ride in the pouring rain.
He cuts me and the pain is all I wanna feel.
He'll dance away just like a child.
He drives me crazy, drives me wild.
But I'm helpless when he smiles.

He broke my heart when I broke his xbox360

Cherry Cherry Boom Boom

(#6 (permalink)) Old
CantBreathe! Offline
Crystal_
Not a n00b

Name: Crystal

Post Re: My Sister & Marijuana (long) - July 10th 2009, 04:23 AM

i know how you feel im your age and my older brother is 18 too. when he first started smoking weed i was really dissapointed in him and i didnt want to tell him to stop cause i didnt want to hurt him i really look up to him alot, well i started to smoke with him a little but i didnt like it so i stopped but right after i stopped my brother and his friends got pulled over and got arrested he almost went to jail i cryed every night before his court day. cause if he was in jail and i was at my house alone i couldnt go on with myself he is there for me every time i punch holes in the wall and im there for him. well when his date came up for court he didnt have to go to jail i was so happy but i thought he would stop but he got into worse stuff like ectasy, acid and stuff lined with meth. i cry every night for my brother and i pray for him to. i think me and you would have alot in common so pm if you wanna talk

-Crystal

Those pretty faces make you stand out in a crowd<3

(#7 (permalink)) Old
*alex* Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: alex

Re: My Sister & Marijuana (long) - July 16th 2009, 03:31 PM

well i doubt that your family will break apart if you tell em not to make too big of a deal and family first then if failed athoritys you have nothing to lose (and a lot to gain) i belive that its smoked thus smoke and if i am misstaken it HELPS your sister if you stop her so what do you have to lose

Closed Thread