TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sparks Offline
Batteries Not Included
Average Joe

Marijuana - June 29th 2009, 02:14 AM

Health

How marijuana effects you depends on:

How much you have
If you’ve had it before, and when you last had it
The type and how strong the marijuana is
How it is taken (eaten, smoked)
Your current mood
Your size and weight
Other health conditions can enhance or decrease the effects of marijuana
Other drugs taken, prescription and illegal.
Current atmosphere (alone or with other people)
How emotionally stable you are.

Don't assume that cannabis is any better for your health than tobacco. Most people smoke weed with tobacco anyway so the same health problems can occur.

Do not try weed if you have a compulsive personality or you get hooked on things easily.
Some studies suggest that people who are predisposed to schizophrenia shouldn't smoke pot.

.You can not take a deadly overdose of marijuana, you’d have to smoke about 800 average sized cigarettes in an hour to overdose. You’d fall asleep before this anyway.

The most severe short term side effects or cannabis use is vomiting and falling asleep. No one has died of cannabis yet

Driving is not recommended while high because reaction time is decreased

Cannabis is an analgesic, which means it relieves pain.

The high from cannabis can last for up to four hours

Consuming cannabis instead of smoking it delays the time it takes for the effects to set in, but the high lasts longer.

History

Cannabis was originally cultivated in China in 5000 BC.

More than 4000 years ago cannabis use spread and became popular

Marijuana also has medical and material uses. It produces strong rope and cloth

The Plant

.There are three types of cannabis plant, Cannabis sativa, Cannabis indica, and Cannabis ruderalis.

.Cannabbis sativa is the most common, followed by indica, ruderalis is the least popular

.The chemical substance in marijuana that gives users a high is called THC

.The stems and leafs of the plant contain very little THC while the buds and flowers of the plant have a higher concentration.

.The plant grows to an average of 1 meters but many plants grow quite large.

Pot Culture

.Cannabis is usually smoked through a bong, or rolled paper called a joint. Recently the Indian hookah, or sheeisha smoking device has become popular in western countries.

.Although it is commonly believed tat smoking through water pipes such as the bong or the hookah makes the smoke less harmful, but this isn’t true.

.Cannabis is most commonly smoked, but is sometimes baked, strained and used as tea, or boiled down to a sticky substance called hash or hashish.

.Cannabis is also sometimes smoked through glass, metal or wooden pipes.

.A Blunt is marijuana rolled in a tobacco leaf

.Your environment and the people you’re with at the time greatly effects the experience of the individual.

.Hydroponic marijuana is when the plants are grown indoors under special lighting, usually ultraviolet. Hydroponic growing is used for many reasons, but mainly for quick, reliable and controlled growth.

.Being caught with a hydroponic setup is looked upon more harshly than growing plants naturally, because it’s associated with dealing or mass production.

.Different lighting, fertilizers and soils are used to create different “strands” over generations of seed.

.Marijuana makes you hungry, this is sometimes referred to as the munchies

.Cotton or Desert mouth is a term used to describe the feeling of a dry mouth after smoking marijuana.

.Marijuana has no physically addictive qualities, but some users become emotionally dependant on it if they use it to cope with other emotional problems such as anxiety of depression.

.Many people believe the cotton industry payed for the outlawing of marijuana after hemp started to take over as a more popular choice of cloth, rope and clothing because of its durability and low price.

.In Amsterdam, you go to a cefe to get coffee, and a “coffee shop”to get marijuana products, including the famous Space Cake (hash brownie)

.Nimbun in Northern NSW Australia is known for its tolerance of casual marijuana use marijuana.

.There are many organisations dedicated to pushing for the decriminalization of weed, other organisations suggest that it be made a prescription drug for people who suffer from chronic pain or have a terminal illness.

.Rastafarians believe that smoking marijuana is the way humans connect with the gods.

"How can you get a goose out of a bottle?"
Imagine that a baby gosling was placed inside one of those big glass bottles with a little opening that you see model ships in, and raised inside, until it is fully grown and can no longer fit out through the neck of the bottle. How can you get the goose out of the bottle? Without hurting/killing the goose.

If i don't respond, it's because you haven't said anything.

Pain is momentary media is Eternal
http://www.myspace.com/MandaG01

(#2 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: Marijuana - June 29th 2009, 03:35 AM

This is a pretty good thread. I know a ton of people who smoke marijuana and even with all of the education out there that's available, they continue to smoke it like it does no harm to your body.

Hopefully people will read this and things will actually begin to sink in for them. [: Nice going.

SUP BRO.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Synaestheasiaen Offline
Average Joe

Re: Marijuana - June 29th 2009, 04:34 AM

Thanks for that I know the effects short and long term with Marijuana and I still continue to smoke it. I've been smoking for years and still get perfect grades in school, have a wonderful job, boyfriend and family life not to mention the hundreds of fellow weed smokers i've known over the years are similar. While i disagree on the theory of pot being just as harmful or worse than cigarettes (it depends on who grows it and what they put in it, or if that for that matter and how you smoke it), I still try to educate people on both sides of the spectrum. Marijuana has even helped reinforce creativity for me and although like every drug it has some consequences, they don't phase me much and i'm a happier person ever since I started smoking. Marijuana is a whole culture of it's own and i'm glad to be a part of it.

Last edited by Synaestheasiaen; June 29th 2009 at 04:44 AM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Sparks Offline
Batteries Not Included
Average Joe

Re: Marijuana - June 29th 2009, 05:38 AM

I smoke too, that's why i wrote it, Don't start unless you're prepared to never stop.

Imagine that a baby gosling was placed inside one of those big glass bottles with a little opening that you see model ships in, and raised inside, until it is fully grown and can no longer fit out through the neck of the bottle. How can you get the goose out of the bottle? Without hurting/killing the goose.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Synaestheasiaen Offline
Average Joe

Re: Marijuana - June 29th 2009, 05:49 AM

For sure. Even though i'm sure as I get older I won't smoke as much as I do now, but I will always smoke ganj no matter what. There are plenty of people out there i'm sure who've never gone back, but once you immerse yourself into this vastly different world, it's like you don't ever not want to be part of it. And i'm not talking about addiction either.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Sparks Offline
Batteries Not Included
Average Joe

Re: Marijuana - June 30th 2009, 02:06 AM

Yeah i get what you mean. Hard way of life to let go of.

Closed Thread