TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
asyoulikeit Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Marissa

Points: 11,765, Level: 15 Points: 11,765, Level: 15 Points: 11,765, Level: 15

addiction(?) - August 2nd 2009, 02:30 AM

I'm sure this has been asked before, but...when are you considered addicted to something? Smoking in particular is what I'm thinking of- I can go a week without thinking about it, but I wonder if just having it on my mind alot means that I'm going to start to get dependant on it. Sorry if it's stupid, but I don't know who to ask.

When you say "never", I'll say "lie"
When you say "always", I'll say "true"
When you say "love", I'll say "you"
I'll say "you"

It gets better.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: Jessi

Points: 18,014, Level: 19 Points: 18,014, Level: 19 Points: 18,014, Level: 19

Re: addiction(?) - August 2nd 2009, 04:20 AM

You are physically addicted to something when you show signs of withdrawl, such as moodiness, shaking, sweating, and headaches. Thinking about something a lot could mean you are psychologically addicted, if not having the substance causes you to feel agitated or anxious.

Simply thinking about it does not necessarily mean you have an addiction.

[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Points: 16,273, Level: 18 Points: 16,273, Level: 18 Points: 16,273, Level: 18

Re: addiction(?) - August 2nd 2009, 03:19 PM

Addiction: A chronic relapsing condition characterized by compulsive drug-seeking and abuse and by long-lasting chemical changes in the brain. Addiction is the same irrespective of whether the drug is alcohol, amphetamines, cocaine, heroin, marijuana, or nicotine. Every addictive substance induces pleasant states or relieves distress. Continued use of the addictive substance induces adaptive changes in the brain that lead to tolerance, physical dependence, uncontrollable craving and, all too often, relapse. Dependence is at such a point that stopping is very difficult and causes severe physical and mental reactions from withdrawal. The risk of addiction is in part inherited. Genetic factors, for example, account for about 40% of the risk of alcoholism. The genetic factors predisposing to addiction are not yet fully understood.

Source: http://www.medterms.com/script/main/...ticlekey=10177

I would say, the terms in which you use the substance can also determine a future addiction. Meaning, if you use this to get away from problems and push down emotions- it's easier to form an addiction to something you're using as a coping method. If you still can't get it off your mind and find yourself thinking of smoking as the only solution to some forms of stress or problems - I would begin to worry about addiction because you're putting the substance up on a high pedestal.

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 10,342, Level: 14 Points: 10,342, Level: 14 Points: 10,342, Level: 14

Re: addiction(?) - August 2nd 2009, 05:36 PM

If you can go a week without thinking about or craving a cigarette I think you're fine. You become dependant on a substance when it's always on your mind, you withdrawal, notice changes in mood, your body..things like that.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Liz

Points: 13,636, Level: 16 Points: 13,636, Level: 16 Points: 13,636, Level: 16

Re: addiction(?) - August 15th 2009, 03:57 AM

I'd say you are addicted to something when it starts to effect your daily life, or if you cannot go a period of time without it. If you can have a drink, and then 2 days later don't feel like you NEED another, then you're not addicted to it. If you feel like you NEED another, you might be. It;s a balance of needs and wants. If something begins to interefere with how you interact with people, when you do activities, or if it starts to control you, it's an addiction. You can find alot of good stuff by going to google.

Be soft.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
acid Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 9,137, Level: 13 Points: 9,137, Level: 13 Points: 9,137, Level: 13

Re: addiction(?) - August 16th 2009, 06:23 AM

Addiction usually occurs when your body physiologically must have that thing.

There are other forms, people can be mentally addicted...partially addicted...the list of addiction is endless.

If you feel like you've become a slave to something and that something has a major role in your everyday life your probably addicted.

If that something harms you but you still want it, then its time to sort it out.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17

Re: addiction(?) - August 16th 2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asyoulikeit View Post
I'm sure this has been asked before, but...when are you considered addicted to something? Smoking in particular is what I'm thinking of- I can go a week without thinking about it, but I wonder if just having it on my mind alot means that I'm going to start to get dependant on it. Sorry if it's stupid, but I don't know who to ask.
There are two main types of addictions for substance abuse: mental and physical. Mental is when you have thoughts about getting whatever the substance is and taking it. Physical is when your body goes into withdrawl when the substance isn't there because it's still used to trying to compensate for when you did take it. You can become more tolerant to it and eventually need more of whatever it is and your body is still "thinking" that you're taking it (as your body strives to keep everything the same as possible).

When you don't smoke, do you think of smoking, do you think what needs to be done to get the smoke, etc...? When you don't smoke, do you feel very on edge or have other changes, either in behavior or in your physical well-being?

Depending what it is you're taking, you can determine the chances of you getting addicted.
Closed Thread