TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
curious online Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question weed - August 11th 2009, 06:38 PM

i have a friend who smokes weed and i dont know what to do about it. I tried to tell him to stop but he just says that "it's not hurting anybody so why stop". What should i do

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Re: weed - August 11th 2009, 07:32 PM

Hiya

Well done for posting this, you must really care about your friend to ask for help. He is lucky to have you.

Unfortunatly, you are not able to force the weed from him physically . But you could tell him the mental dangers of smoking weed. Smoking can cause psychosis, paranoia, and many more negative symptoms. Check out www.talktofrank.co.uk for more details.

Weed is also a class B drug, so you can get into trouble by the police for posession.

Although he says its not hurting anybody, the fact is he is hurting himself both physically and mentally and he is hurting you, by not listening to you.

I think the best thing you can do, is keep trying to help him.

He may need a counsellor to help him to stop being so addicted.

I would just stick by him and encourage him to stop smoking, or at least cut down the amount he smokes.

Jamie
xx

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  Send a message via MSN to i_am_me_again  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: weed - August 11th 2009, 08:10 PM

Hey there

It's great that you care about your friend. When he says that it isn't hurting anybody, he is only thinking of himself. Weed is not all *that* bad, as far as harming himself in the long term, in my opinion.

However, you are really concerned for him and I'm sure you're not the only one. That means that this is hurting you guys! Try talking to him about how you feel, show him the site mentioned by the previous poster. Also, keep an eye on him, weed is often a gateway drug to more serious stuff that could severely damage him.

Good luck with this, and take care.
-Dylan

(#4 (permalink)) Old
mr_null Offline
Formerly known as mr_null
Average Joe

Re: weed - August 11th 2009, 09:04 PM

As far as drugs go weed is pretty benign (it is less harmful than alcohol or cigarettes and has been shown to help prevent certain types of cancers). If your friend wants to smoke weed then there's not much you can do other than voice your disapproval, but in the end it's his life and his decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_me_again View Post
Smoking can cause psychosis...
If he is of sound mental health then he doesn't have to worry about psychosis or other mental health issues. Psychedelics only cause mental health issues when there are underlying issues already present.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Twisted Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: weed - August 13th 2009, 12:00 AM

I despise talk to frank, its just biased government funded propaganda in order to try and force people out of making their own decisions. If you want to know the real facts about any drug or narcotic go to http://www.erowid.org/ it's 100% non-biased, factual information and it's not there to persuade anyone to think that a drug is neither good nor bad, that is up to the individual.

Now there's no way you can persuade your friend to stop, he will end up resenting you if you try and force him. But you can read up on the facts and maybe talk to your friend about the risks of weed and at least make him aware that although its less harmful than alcohol or cigarettes, weed does have potential risks. At the end of the day its his decision, but let him know you care just try not to be to over powering.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: weed - August 13th 2009, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_me_again View Post
Smoking can cause psychosis, paranoia, and many more negative symptoms.
And the usual "gateway theory" comes about again. You also cannot easily determine causality. As for the website you gave, it's garbage, it's completely biased and it's spitting the exact same crap that the inaccurate, biased, government-sponsored ads do. It's correct in that you can get paranoid, however, assuming it's not laced with anything else, it's a reaction you're likely to get once or twice and since it's not pleasant, you're not going to be doing it again. Hardly a good website you gave, if you're going to give some biased information, then at least make sure it's not the government-sponsored propaganda that's spewed out all over the place.

You're acting as though it's a drug that completely ruins your brain and you become a junkie for it. That's not often the case at all as it's not physically addictive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGodCreation
However, you are really concerned for him and I'm sure you're not the only one. That means that this is hurting you guys! Try talking to him about how you feel, show him the site mentioned by the previous poster. Also, keep an eye on him, weed is often a gateway drug to more serious stuff that could severely damage him.
As for the "gateway theory", that can apply to numerous drugs. Pot is amongst the more harmless and least addictive out of the illegal drugs.

For the OP, you can show your friend some studies or simply some newspaper articles where smoking the weed is more harmful than smoking cigarettes. There is some speculation about the correlation between pot and testicular cancer, although that is still highly debatable.

You can try to alert your friend to the legal dangers which they probably know already but perhaps you can harp on it more.

But if your friend wants to smoke it, then it's their choice. You can try to tell them not to smoke around you but when they're away from you, if they want to smoke, then there's not much to do about it other than telling their folks and all that other messy stuff.

Last edited by SimplyComplex; August 14th 2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Taking out possible argument causing comments/kind of rude ones. Please refrain from starting debates and rude comments.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Synaestheasiaen Offline
Average Joe

Re: weed - August 13th 2009, 03:08 PM

It is not a fact that the OP's friend is hurting himself mentally and/or physically. Like previous posters have said before, if the friend is of sound mind who are we to tell them not to smoke pot? You cannot be addicted to Marijuana physically. Mentally in a sense yes, but seldom does it ever get that out of hand with solely Marijuana usage. OP, I suggest you try Erowid.org. Not any of those governmentally funded websites like the partnerships for drug free America or AbovetheInfluence.com or any of those ridiculous propaganda commercials against pot.

Unless your friend's smoking is beginning to bring him/her down and truly beginning to hurt them i.e. (failing grades, severe change in attitude etc.) I believe your friend will be just fine. Marijuana is, many times made out to be something worse than it really is and it doesn't have to be that way. Although Marijuana does come with some consequences, it is in general a mild and silly herb that makes you giggly and hungry. The gateway drug theory is in my eyes a crap one. If you do not want any part of Marijuana i'd try telling your friend to either be kind enough to not do it around you or to cut down a bit.

With friendships comes compromise. If you both want to carry on your friendship, just be courteous for one another and look out for eachother. Telling your friend just flat out "no" and pestering him/her about it does literally nothing except maybe even drive them to want to rebel more. Make compromises with eachother and you two will be fine

Last edited by SimplyComplex; August 14th 2009 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Lets remember that we're here to help the OP and not attack other advice.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Re: weed - August 14th 2009, 01:58 PM

I'm beginning to see that this thread might cause a problem, so I think it's time to let any future posters know that the senseless attacking of others advice is not welcomed here or needed. We all have our own opinions on what weed can do and how weed is good/bad. However, it is illegal and therefore we should not be promoting such usage. This is not a thread to debate the advice given and moderators will edit out information as they see fitting. Please refrain from getting off topic or further action may need to be taken. Thank you again.

-Melissa

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: weed - August 14th 2009, 02:58 PM

"As for the "gateway theory", that can apply to numerous drugs. Pot is amongst the more harmless and least addictive out of the illegal drugs."

That's true. It also applies to pot, however harmless it is in comparison to other drugs.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: weed - August 14th 2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyComplex View Post
I'm beginning to see that this thread might cause a problem, so I think it's time to let any future posters know that the senseless attacking of others advice is not welcomed here or needed. We all have our own opinions on what weed can do and how weed is good/bad. However, it is illegal and therefore we should not be promoting such usage. This is not a thread to debate the advice given and moderators will edit out information as they see fitting. Please refrain from getting off topic or further action may need to be taken. Thank you again.

-Melissa

It allows the OP to see the many different opinions on the subject. Therefore allowing them to make a more informed decision and form their own opinion.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Re: weed - August 14th 2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGodCreation View Post
It allows the OP to see the many different opinions on the subject. Therefore allowing them to make a more informed decision and form their own opinion.

I agree, but we all can state our opinions and facts without taking down other posters as well. The OP is not getting any less information if we keep things clean and on point. Debating back and forth between details about weed isn't meant in the thread and I would appreciate it if that was left to the debate forums. It could go on forever -debating if weed is a gateway drug - because that is based on opinions and not fact. If anyone does have an issue with my previous post, please PM me from now on.

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Mosin Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: weed - August 14th 2009, 08:24 PM

This community is great. Im impressed how humane these debates stay. Weed is a sensitive subject but its really not a big deal. Being concerned is nice but you should only be as/or less concerned as you would be if your friend were eating fastfood fairly regularly.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Liz

Re: weed - August 15th 2009, 04:01 AM

Plain and simple. If you are concerned about your friend and he will not listen to you, tell someone. Have someone else, like another friend, or a trusted adult talk to him and maybe see what you can do to help him. Best wishes xx

Be soft.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Synaestheasiaen Offline
Average Joe

Re: weed - August 17th 2009, 08:53 PM

Er, no it's not "plain and simple." That is complete backwards advice and the OP should never seek help from anyone else unless the friend has a major problem with drugs. This is pot we are talking about, not heroin.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: weed - August 18th 2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickingUpThePieces View Post
Plain and simple. If you are concerned about your friend and he will not listen to you, tell someone. Have someone else, like another friend, or a trusted adult talk to him and maybe see what you can do to help him. Best wishes xx
The problem I see with that is that the OP's friendship will probably be ruined or significantly trashed. In addition, the OP's friend may get in some legal trouble. That legal trouble may help the OP's friend get off marijuana but it's probably going to trash their friendship.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
freemefast Offline
freemenow
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: anonymous

Re: weed - September 1st 2009, 09:22 AM

Google- medical marijuana in california
Google- all personal ammounts of any contolled substance now legal in mexico

----these are all recent changes---

Last edited by freemefast; September 1st 2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: typo

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: weed - September 5th 2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
That legal trouble may help the OP's friend get off marijuana but it's probably going to trash their friendship.
And the friend's life (legal trouble is never good to be in your history).

Pot is relatively harmless... its not really a gateway drug... lots of heavy drug users have smoked pot... but I bet they've also drunk alcohol. Also, its quite possible that the type of people who seek pot are a type just more likely to seek intoxicated experiences anyway. Most people I know hold pot in a completely different league to other drugs, and many smart people draw the line at pot.

So long as your friend doesn't start doing proper drugs that will ruin their life or become addictive (pot isnt addictive), and their life doesn't start to fall apart anyway (so as long as they dont start doing terribly at school, etc), I'd prettymuch just express to your friend you don't think its a good idea. But at the end of the day, there's not much you can do.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
relapse Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brendan

Re: weed - September 7th 2009, 03:20 AM

Why is everyone so against weed? Yeah it's illegal, but so is doing burn-outs and donuts and shit, everyone does it once and a while... And as long as your being responsible and safe about it, it's alright.

In my opinion, if your friend wants to smoke weed, let him blaze til he doesn't have any brain cells left... It's his choice, it has no concern to you unless he/she is trying to get you into it...

Closed Thread