TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Smoking - September 12th 2009, 08:46 PM

I really need to quit I hate it. I used to have a "happy headrush" I liked to call it whenever I smoked, now that doesn't even happen anymore. Now whenever I smoke I just smell and it doesn't do anything /: But when I don't smoke for a while I get really annoyed and just want one.

The problem is I'm always with people who smoke, so even if I do quit I'll have 2nd hand smoke around me anyway.

What I want to know are things I can do instead of smoking? I've started chewing chewing gum whenever I want one but that's not all that helpful.

I also thought it would be a good idea to make myself eat something I hate (raw carrots was one of my ideas, ew I hate them ) after every cig so I kind of associate them with smoking and won't want to smoke if I have to eat them.

I'm planning on quitting next week as I'm starting college so I'll be doing things and can't smoke when I'm in class (obv)

Has anyone else got any good suggestions?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Em... Offline
smile; it looks good on you.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: E

Re: Smoking - September 12th 2009, 09:40 PM

Hey There!

I think it's absolutely fabulous that you want to quit! I really think it's great, you are doing yourself a huge favour!

Now, I'm first going to address the second hand smoke problem. It's gross really, but if you are trying to quit, I would suggest that maybe you just try to stay away from these people when they light up a cigarette, this will put you away from it for a bit. If they light up in front of you, then just say, hey, I'm trying to quit, would you mind? and either you or the other person walk away from each other until you feel more comfortable without cigarettes.

What might help is getting someone who smokes to quit with you. Having a buddy in trying to stop a habit really helps. You can be there to support each other to get through this habit.

It's good that you've set a date to quit. What might help also is observing yourself, and try to recognise when you smoke. Is it when you are stressed? Making coffee in the morning, or is it just part of your regular routine? We are habitual people and if you can replace this habit with something better for you, it may help.

If you want a cigarette or get an urge to smoke, do something instead and keep yourself busy. If you can do this, the urge may wear off. So just give it a try.

Maybe use the incentive method as well. If you go a day without a cigarette reward yourself to a movie, or a night out, or something of the like. It will prove to yourself that you can do this.

Both of my parents smoke/use to smoke. My dad had to stop because of health problems, and my mum has cancer from it and she won't stop because she says it doesn't matter now. I've seen then try different things. They both tried a laser procedure. I wish I could give you more detail on it. It's a procedure the will make you not want to smoke anymore, I'm not sure how much it is, but you can always look into that.

Another thing they did was the nicotine patch. You can try that. You can also try the nicotine gum. That may work for you, just try and see. There was also this fake cigarette thing my mum used once, you could try to use that if you want.

The day you decide to quit, you should try to hide your cigarettes or get rid of them and ashtrays, anything that will remind you of smoking try to get rid of. Because if you see if later it may trigger you to want to smoke more, and you don't want to do that.

In efforts to stay quit Consider the positive things about quitting, such as how much you like yourself as a non-smoker, health benefits for you and your family, and the example you set for others around you. A positive attitude will help you through the tough times.

Try to eat regular meals, exercise regularly such as taking a jog, or a bike ride. You can get through this addiction I know it!

Now, if you slip up don't be discouraged because it happens to the best of us. Find people that will support you through this and it will be easier. If you need more help in quitting, you should see your doctor and they will be able to prescribe you something to help you with the cravings.

I really hope this helps you. Take care.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Smoking - September 13th 2009, 01:07 AM

Hey there!

EmiLeigh totally hit the nail on the head on that one, follow what she says in her post, and you really should be okay. In all honesty, there isn't a whole lot I can add to that but, I did want to let you know that I'm super glad to hear that you're quitting. That's such a big lifestyle change, and quite frankly, one I'm yet to take on. The best of luck to you! I know you can do it!

I looked up a couple sites with some good tips, you can bookmark them maybe. Look them up when you need quick tips?

Find them here, and here.
PM me if you ever need anything, or just want to talk!
-Dylan

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Smoking - September 13th 2009, 06:15 PM

Thanks ^_____^ I always had this "I'll give up if/when I get pregnant" plan in the back of my head but I've realised I'm starting to hate smoking

If I asked my friends to smoke out a window or something they probably would. And my sister always smokes outside anyway so it should be kind of easy to do that.

My friend keeps complaining about how he hasn't got much money anymore due to smoking so he may quit with me. My sister deff. won't.

I normally do it without thinking. I have one almost straight after I brush my teeth in the morning and then do it when I'm bored.

Oh yeah! I remembered something I hate more than carrots LICORICE :O God I hate the taste so much so I could eat that after every cig.

I remember my ex boyfriend wearing nicotine patches and they made him sick for some reason. Idk if it was just him or if they will effect me the same way either.

Thanks for the links Dylan -hugs- I appreciate it <3

Sorry to hear about your mum Emileigh btw <3

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Em... Offline
smile; it looks good on you.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: E

Re: Smoking - September 14th 2009, 02:15 AM

No worries really dear.

I'm just so happy that you are wanting to quit. That's just so fabulous. I think the associating something bad with cigarettes will help you, it makes sense to me at least. I surely hope it will help.
You should really encourage your friend to quit with you that would be fab as well.
The patches will affect everyone differently, so give them a try and if you get sick then you'll know that you can't use them, but I would still try them out.

Anywho, I wish you luck.

take care,

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Emzy Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Emma

Re: Smoking - September 14th 2009, 11:59 AM

I guess I'm the same. I smoke too much but mainly behind the backs of my family and friends cos it calms me down and if they all found out well, there would deffo be an argument. My Mum knows and said It'll pass but she's smoked for ages so she can't say that. I'm thinking of trying those chewing gum things, maybe you should try them too.
  Send a message via MSN to Emzy Send a message via Skype™ to Emzy 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
a_girlsdreams Offline
Average Joe

Re: Smoking - September 27th 2009, 12:24 PM

Addiction is hard to deal with.

I just started smoking again to deal with everything thats going on: school, two jobs, friends, ex girlfriend..
Just stupid shit thats not even worth it.
I started like almost two months ago and its getting worse.
I want to quit but dont have the motovation and smoking still helps me.

I think the best way to break a habit is a simple promise to yourself.
If its not helping you, you just gotta keep telling yourself.
Dont buy another pack or smoke another cigeratte.
Its not doing anything for you.
Making a promise and not breaking it is hard but test yourself.

Chewing gum also helps.
Or little snacks.

Being around second hand smoke, just tell yourself you dont want it.
It doesnt nothing for you and you even said that.
Just think of how they smell and you wont.

I hope I helped.
I think just make a promise that youre going to quit.
Everytime you want to give in, think why.
Youre better than that.
Dont let the addiction take over you, take over your addiction.

PM me anytime.
Good luck.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
cherryqueen1248 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Care

Re: Smoking - September 27th 2009, 10:02 PM

smoking is bad. see a dr if you cant quit. its good you want to though, so im proud of you for that! good luck!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Smoking - September 28th 2009, 04:16 AM

I've seen this product on TV, I'm not sure on the costs but it does seem to be, in theory, very effective. I think it's by Nicorette, however, it's not the gum or the patch but rather an inhaler that looks similar to a cigarette, so whenever you want to smoke, you can pull one of them out and use it. You hold it similarly to how you would for a normal cigarette, take puffs just as you would for a normal cigarette and such (judging by the ads), so it satisfies the physical or "hand urges" and it provides the nicotine just as the gum does.

As for the social environment with fellow smokers, this inhaler won't help you out with that, your only way out of it is to either ask them to not smoke around you or to leave them.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Synaestheasiaen Offline
Average Joe

Re: Smoking - September 28th 2009, 03:25 PM

it'll probably be even harder to quit in college since that's a cess pool of smokers and the fact that college can be very stressful, however you can overcome that.

Closed Thread