TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Member
Outside, huh?
**********
 
taylalatbh.'s Avatar
 
Name: Taylala
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Wales, UK

Posts: 3,745
Join Date: July 6th 2009

Question about weed - October 11th 2009, 09:50 PM

Can you actually become addicted to weed? Is it an addictive substance?



   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
losing touch.'s Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 5,996
Blog Entries: 537
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Question about weed - October 11th 2009, 09:58 PM

it's not physically addictive..


..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..



   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
GroovyDoodle Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
GroovyDoodle's Avatar
 
Name: Maeve
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: On the computer... duh!

Posts: 134
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Question about weed - October 12th 2009, 02:22 AM

It's not physically addictive unless the place you're getting it from is lacing it with a harder drug. Some may find it to be mentally addictive, but it depends on the person.


  Send a message via AIM to GroovyDoodle  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ravie Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
Ravie's Avatar
 
Age: 28

Posts: 14
Join Date: October 14th 2009

Re: Question about weed - October 14th 2009, 08:35 AM

actually ladies! it can be physically and mentally addictive. physically because of the added chemicals in todays bud, and mentally because you learn to rely on weed instead of solving your own problems. then when you sober up, the problems are still there, so you make them go away by smoking more.
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Psychwave Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
Psychwave's Avatar
 
Age: 29

Posts: 8
Join Date: October 14th 2009

Re: Question about weed - October 14th 2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravie View Post
actually ladies! it can be physically and mentally addictive. physically because of the added chemicals in todays bud, and mentally because you learn to rely on weed instead of solving your own problems. then when you sober up, the problems are still there, so you make them go away by smoking more.
Nope. Not at all true.

What added chemicals? I smoke pot moderately, and I'm just fine. I'm an IB student with a 4.3 GPA, and my problems are solvable both under and free of the influence of marijuana-it's simply not as persuasive as you've been led to believe. It's not addicting, the addiction rate is 9% (Ciggs 34% Heroin 17%), so there is little chance of getting addicted. If you're curious try it out and see what the big deal is. There are no major health risks with cannabis as with cigarettes or alcohol, it's impossible to overdose on and completely natural. None of these fabled "added chemicals in today's bud".

Be above the extremely rare stereotype of "The Lazy Stoner", weed won't make you stupid, but it won't make you smart. It's whatever you choose to make it.

And what dealer would spike a cheap drug like weed with a more expensive drug like crack or heroin? It doesn't make any sense economically- and it hardly ever happens.

Get educated- DARE has been screwing with you your entire life.
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Question about weed - October 15th 2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravie View Post
actually ladies! it can be physically and mentally addictive. physically because of the added chemicals in todays bud, and mentally because you learn to rely on weed instead of solving your own problems. then when you sober up, the problems are still there, so you make them go away by smoking more.
What in the blue hell are you rambling about? Show me some credible evidence supporting what you've said.

As for the "added chemicals", you have a point, if it is laced with something then it may be physically addictive but assuming it is not, then it will not be. As for the rest of the post (i.e. the part not bolded), show me credible evidence otherwise it's discarded as being utter nonsense.

You seem to not have the faintest idea what it is meant be physically and mentally addictive so I suggest you look up those terms first.
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Ravie Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
Ravie's Avatar
 
Age: 28

Posts: 14
Join Date: October 14th 2009

Re: Question about weed - October 15th 2009, 08:26 AM

well guys you obviously think i dont know what i'm talking about. let me give you an idea. addicted to meth, coke, pills for 2 years, been clean for 3. Used to smoke an 8th of bud daily at the very least. used to sell ounces daily. still smoke. the reason i say it can be physically addictive is because although weed is natural, you still smoke it, and your body get accustom to smoking and the thc high. i used to smoke so much i would puke if i didnt smoke every day. not to mention when most smokers dont smoke they cant sleep and actually get a tickle in their throat and cough worse than normal until they smoke. it's a physical reliance. it can cause withdrawls, though minor they may be. I'm not saying its bad. i'm not saying everyone gets this. the question was simply "can you actually become addicted to weed?" and i answered with my thoughts. and yes, in the higher strains of weed, some are grown with added chemicals so that the high is more intense. I'm not sure where you guys live, but the weed here is no fucking joke in cali. say i'm full of shit. i could care less. thats just my imput.
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Mel14 Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Mel14's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: Imaginationland

Posts: 216
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Question about weed - October 15th 2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychwave View Post
Nope. Not at all true.

What added chemicals? I smoke pot moderately, and I'm just fine. I'm an IB student with a 4.3 GPA, and my problems are solvable both under and free of the influence of marijuana-it's simply not as persuasive as you've been led to believe. It's not addicting, the addiction rate is 9% (Ciggs 34% Heroin 17%), so there is little chance of getting addicted. If you're curious try it out and see what the big deal is. There are no major health risks with cannabis as with cigarettes or alcohol, it's impossible to overdose on and completely natural. None of these fabled "added chemicals in today's bud".

Be above the extremely rare stereotype of "The Lazy Stoner", weed won't make you stupid, but it won't make you smart. It's whatever you choose to make it.

And what dealer would spike a cheap drug like weed with a more expensive drug like crack or heroin? It doesn't make any sense economically- and it hardly ever happens.

Get educated- DARE has been screwing with you your entire life.

Like someone else said, it depends on the person. Your problems may be solvable high or not, but there are people who aren't the same. That applies to YOU, not everyone. Pot is not physically addicting, I can agree with that, but it can be mentally. Sometimes it can be very mentally addicting.


I'm a house of cards in a hurricane.
A reckless ride in the pouring rain.
He cuts me and the pain is all I wanna feel.
He'll dance away just like a child.
He drives me crazy, drives me wild.
But I'm helpless when he smiles.


He broke my heart when I broke his xbox360

Cherry Cherry Boom Boom
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Psychwave Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
Psychwave's Avatar
 
Age: 29

Posts: 8
Join Date: October 14th 2009

Re: Question about weed - October 15th 2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravie View Post
well guys you obviously think i dont know what i'm talking about. let me give you an idea. addicted to meth, coke, pills for 2 years, been clean for 3. Used to smoke an 8th of bud daily at the very least. used to sell ounces daily. still smoke. the reason i say it can be physically addictive is because although weed is natural, you still smoke it, and your body get accustom to smoking and the thc high. i used to smoke so much i would puke if i didnt smoke every day. not to mention when most smokers dont smoke they cant sleep and actually get a tickle in their throat and cough worse than normal until they smoke. it's a physical reliance. it can cause withdrawls, though minor they may be. I'm not saying its bad. i'm not saying everyone gets this. the question was simply "can you actually become addicted to weed?" and i answered with my thoughts. and yes, in the higher strains of weed, some are grown with added chemicals so that the high is more intense. I'm not sure where you guys live, but the weed here is no fucking joke in cali. say i'm full of shit. i could care less. thats just my imput.
Well you must realize that you are in a microscopic minority. If she is to smoke weed she should do it responsibly and moderately- preferably through an herbal vaporizer (removes smoke and lung risks). 3.5 grams a day is more than a lot- and if you down 3.5 bags of M&Ms daily you'll have a hard time stopping and I bet go through some physical withdrawals as well.

Weed doesn't define you. Your experience with weed will be whatever you make it. You can either smoke by the ounce everyday, or you can make the responsible choice enjoy marijuana rather than alcohol or cigarettes as a moderate reward.

And NO! growers and dealers don't add substances in weed!

Last edited by Psychwave; October 18th 2009 at 03:10 PM.
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Question about weed - October 16th 2009, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravie View Post
well guys you obviously think i dont know what i'm talking about. let me give you an idea. addicted to meth, coke, pills for 2 years, been clean for 3. Used to smoke an 8th of bud daily at the very least. used to sell ounces daily. still smoke. the reason i say it can be physically addictive is because although weed is natural, you still smoke it, and your body get accustom to smoking and the thc high. i used to smoke so much i would puke if i didnt smoke every day. not to mention when most smokers dont smoke they cant sleep and actually get a tickle in their throat and cough worse than normal until they smoke. it's a physical reliance. it can cause withdrawls, though minor they may be. I'm not saying its bad. i'm not saying everyone gets this. the question was simply "can you actually become addicted to weed?" and i answered with my thoughts. and yes, in the higher strains of weed, some are grown with added chemicals so that the high is more intense. I'm not sure where you guys live, but the weed here is no fucking joke in cali. say i'm full of shit. i could care less. thats just my imput.
You can do all the drugs you want it's not going to mean you actually have an understanding of pharmacology and pharmacokinetics. You have one benefit that I don't have, you have personal experience.

A drug doesn't have to be natural or synthetic in order to be deemed physically addictive. You've shown though you have a bit more understanding of what the term means than I gave you credit for so I'll take that as being my fault. However, you haven't explained what a mental addiction is, so that part I don't redeem.

As for the ending of your post, you do care if we say you're full of shit because you took the time and effort to respond to what we said when we called you out on your previous post. You're even trying to use heresay and anecdotal evidence in order to support your argument so yes, I do think you care to some amount.
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
a_girlsdreams Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
a_girlsdreams's Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 148
Join Date: March 9th 2009

Re: Question about weed - October 20th 2009, 12:27 AM

I think you can mentally become addicted to anything you want.
But I dont think the chemicals and drug itself is additive unless you make it that way.
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Pandamonium's Avatar
 
Name: Steph
Gender: Female
Location: US

Posts: 1,613
Blog Entries: 4
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Question about weed - October 20th 2009, 12:46 AM

Keep in mind, this user is looking for ADVICE and not a debate. If the debate continues, I will close the thread. Both sides can be presented but remember the main purpose of the thread.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Make Believe's Avatar
 
Name: Kayleigh
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Wales, U.K.

Posts: 6,185
Blog Entries: 190
Join Date: August 31st 2009

Re: Question about weed - November 2nd 2009, 05:12 AM

Physically, no. I wouldn't really advice anyone to take it though. I've smoked it twice and I've never had a craving for it afterwards.


"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Synaestheasiaen Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
Synaestheasiaen's Avatar
 

Posts: 192
Join Date: June 26th 2009

Re: Question about weed - November 2nd 2009, 11:20 PM

Sorry Ravie, not true at all. They may be putting more chemicals into bud, but it's nothing that creates a physical addiction to pot. It just makes for more potency. I've never heard of or seen any studies proving this.

Quote:
the reason i say it can be physically addictive is because although weed is natural, you still smoke it, and your body get accustom to smoking and the thc high. i used to smoke so much i would puke if i didnt smoke every day. not to mention when most smokers dont smoke they cant sleep and actually get a tickle in their throat and cough worse than normal until they smoke. it's a physical reliance. it can cause withdrawls, though minor they may be.
There are plenty of people on this board who have just as much, if not more experience with drugs than you do. Seeing as how i'm a Psychology major, I can help decode all of what you just said in your post. Your body is becoming accustomed to the marijuana smoking because it becomes habitual and cannabinoids bind with the receptors in your brain and block the reuptake of those cannabinoids. The withdrawals you are talking about, are not what happens to everybody when they stop habitually using pot. That's just you and some others. Just because the receptors are used to pot being in your brain, it does not make pot physically addictive. That is a complete state of mind. There are no physically addictive properties inside Marijuana that could do that to you. Drugs like Cocaine and Heroin of course do have physically addictive properties that bind with and block the reuptake of receptors in the brain, causing you to physically get sick and crave the drug. If you got your mind off of smoking, I guarantee you 100% that you would not be getting so sick over not smoking and believe me. I, like you have plenty of experience with drugs, first and second hand and am an avid marijuana user. Doing all the drugs in the world still does not make either of us experts, but truly educating yourself in that area does.

Last edited by Synaestheasiaen; November 2nd 2009 at 11:28 PM.
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Psychwave Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
Psychwave's Avatar
 
Age: 29

Posts: 8
Join Date: October 14th 2009

Re: Question about weed - November 3rd 2009, 02:26 AM

THC, the active ingredient in Marijuana does NOT determine how addicting it is. This is a really common misconception. Higher THC content simply means that you smoke less to get the desired effect, putting less harmful smoke in your lungs.

Also, the gov't mentions that higher THC levels lead to addiction, even when today's weed only has 7-15% THC (do NOT believe the DEA's numbers, if I had a plant with the 80% THC level they say exists today, trust me, I wouldn't be able to type), anything higher is grown in labs! (this is not averaging hash, which is like 30-40% THC).

Besides, if THC is so addicting, why is there a 100% synthetic version of it on the market? (Marinol)
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Caged_Lion Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
Caged_Lion's Avatar
 
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: Kent

Posts: 24
Join Date: October 9th 2009

Re: Question about weed - November 6th 2009, 09:41 AM

It can become addictive, but I think that has alot to do with the company you keep. If it's easily available, your friends do it and you like doing it then I can't see why it wouldn't.
Other than that if you roll it with tobacco that can have an addictive effect, but even then thats just the nicotine.
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while
********
 
Hdjdjdjduvieg's Avatar
 
Name: no

Posts: 1,127
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Question about weed - November 6th 2009, 07:24 PM

People become mentally addicted. I've never smoked, but I have family who are chronic weed smokers. It becomes like alcohol (not alcoholic, necessarily), but how once you have a drink at a party, you like it and you start just wanting to do it every time you party (or every time you're with you friends) just because you had fun while doing it. It's better than real physically addicting drugs that I've had a rough time even now, months after dropping everything, stayin away from. All-in-all, there's not reason to do it, but pertaining to weed, there's not really any reason to not do it, other than just I suppose tainting a good record, or potentially becoming mentally addicted to it.


I love the name of honour more than I fear death.
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
Alexx's Avatar
 
Name: Alex
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: England

Posts: 150
Join Date: November 10th 2009

Re: Question about weed - November 11th 2009, 05:02 PM

I found that a few friends of mine thought they were addicted to the pot, but were actually craving the tobacco we used.

Just some random information for you there ;D
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
twk. Offline
Serves Servants
Not a n00b
**
 
twk.'s Avatar
 
Name: Šenial
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: australiAHHH

Posts: 91
Join Date: November 12th 2009

Re: Question about weed - November 12th 2009, 02:04 AM

From my experiences, weed is not physically addictive but excessive use can lead to emotionally/mentally dependant.

And i don't think that lacing weed with more addictive drugs (heroin,meth,cocaine etc) is not a common occurance as those drugs are typically more expensive and it wouldn't make much sense for a dealer to lace.

Keep in mind, if you spin (mix tobacco with weed when smoking) the nicotine in tobacco is addictive.


it's the beauty of confession

eviL.evoL


  Send a message via MSN to twk. Send a message via Skype™ to twk. 
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
l0stCause Offline
chaos walks
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
l0stCause's Avatar
 
Age: 27

Posts: 277
Join Date: November 17th 2009

Re: Question about weed - November 21st 2009, 05:02 PM

weed aint addictive. the lifestyle is, you become dependant of it to help u cope with shit u dont need it but u want it. i want the carefree feeling it gives u


“Chaos is the score upon which reality is written.”
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
mIssIng:nO Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
mIssIng:nO's Avatar
 
Age: 27
Gender: Other

Posts: 589
Join Date: November 15th 2009

Re: Question about weed - November 24th 2009, 04:10 AM

What the fuck are people talking about chemicals in bud? If you guys are getting chemicals in your bed (aside from nutrients helped too grow), then something is seriously wrong with your dealers.

I don't see how people could even think that you could lace weed with something you don't smoke too get high (cocaine is a main one, it doesn't do anything folks), why would it have any affect if it was mixed in with weed and smoked. It does not make sense.
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Des Mors Morde Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
Des Mors Morde's Avatar
 
Age: 26

Posts: 5
Join Date: November 25th 2009

Re: Question about weed - November 25th 2009, 07:33 AM

First off, there are no chemical substances in weed today that weren't in it twenty years ago. The only thing that makes weed stronger is a higher THC level. And no, weed in and of itself is not an addictive substance. Granted, a person with a week personality might develop a dependency on it. However, anything can be addictive in this way. Chocolate, for example, is often called addictive even though there is no chemical in it that causes a dependency. Put simply, there is no substance with nicotine like effects in marijuana and it is not addictive unless the person using it has an addictive personality, and even then it's usually an easy habit to break.
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
question, weed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.