TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   Triggering: my Alcohol problem (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t28019-my-alcohol-problem/)

Ady- October 16th 2009 02:03 PM

my Alcohol problem

Hey, I'm Ady,

My Alcohol problem started when i was young, around when i was 8 or maybe 10.

I used to have a glass of wine with meals with my mum.
I started stealing the bottle and drank it all in one go in my room.
When i was at Secondary school, i used to be in with the wrong crowd, i shoplifted regularly, i used to steal lots of alcohol from stores and we'd have a piss up.

before i turned 18 i was a regular at my local Pub. i was drinking around 4 - 6 pints a day, most days

I'm now 23 and i find it hard to walk past any shops or Pub's without feeling the tempation.

I've tried to go T-total for a few years and i really need advice as to what i should do to stop completely

any help would be nice. I'm just fed up of the emptyness that drinking causes.

Ady

xoxo_ciao October 19th 2009 11:40 PM

Re: my Alcohol problem

You don't have to be an alcoholic...I know we all love it, but you don't have to drink it all the time. Just slow down and have a glass of wine with your meals like you use to...and leave the bottle when you're done!

I hope I take my own advice before I let it get bad :/

ThePunkAlien October 20th 2009 01:08 AM

I know the pull it has, I never knew my father but I know he's an alcoholic and I inherited that from him. I have a drink once and I keep having the urge for just one more, just one more - than one becomes two, then two becomes three. And you know how it works. This goes on for days - last week I wasn't intoxicated only one day. I was brought in for DWI a couple of nights ago, first time. The day after - I saw a beer store and I just wanted to go in and drink. I'm messed up. But, luckily I was able to hold off last night, hoping this night too (I've been using it for coping though, so it needs a trigger recently to start down that path again). In short, I don't know what to say. I don't know if we can completely escape it. But, I know what we can do - we can try to fight the urge and become sober for at least a couple days a week and try to get it better from there. Wish I knew how to completely break away from it because it's really showing up more apparent in my life especially recently as in the DWI. And the thirst - calls out to me. I liken it to the symbiote in Spider-Man, but I'm kinda geek so that might be why. You're not alone though man. Just keep it at.

Ady- October 20th 2009 09:37 PM

i've managed since Last wednesday, to not have a single drink, and i've had the shakes and its made me very ill but... i've not touched a single drop

Gidig October 21st 2009 06:47 AM

Alcoholism is a very hard thing to deal with. In all seriousness it is a disease. My father is a recovering alcoholic and he's been a year sober but still struggles everyday to remain sober.

Alcoholics Anonymous is how all the alcoholics I know have gotten and remained sober. The site can be found HERE. I'm not sure what the options are for the UK but you can take a look around. Perhaps you can at least get a book or something and see if it's of any help to you.

Take it a day at a time. You can do it. :)

Ady- October 21st 2009 08:47 PM

i find it a struggle to goto the shops and not walk down the alcohol isle

tk338 October 23rd 2009 11:52 AM

When I want something that I KNOW I cant have, I'll restrict my money... I'll go out wit just enough for what I want, and any other money I'll put in a savings account that you can't get out for a while, or just make it inaccessible... Then that way you CAN'T buy alcohol :D

hecanandWILLchangeyou October 24th 2009 03:11 PM

Well you can go into places that do not SELL booze. You can not buy what is not there.