TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Allie*gay*tor Offline
Allie*gay*tor
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Allie ( said Oly)

smoking weed - October 20th 2009, 02:55 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

One of my best friends is a stoner(lets call him Jake)<-- (not his real name). I want to try smoking with him sometime, but I dont know what'll do to me and what I'd do once I'm high. Jake said that I would open up to him, consitering if it would be just the two of us smoking. is pot really a stress relifer or is that just stories, and would I lose some weight or would the "obsession of eating munchies" make me gain weight in the begining? I'm told it does and doesn't. I would really like to know. please could I have some advice?
thanks.
  Send a message via AIM to Allie*gay*tor Send a message via Yahoo to Allie*gay*tor  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PerObscurumVox Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: smoking weed - October 20th 2009, 03:10 AM

Weed is pretty fun. You'll fell like the world is moving around you. It's just so much fun, that it's hard to express. It's euphoria.

And don't worry about the munchies. If I ate to much after getting high, I just exercise or something afterwards.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Psychwave Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: smoking weed - October 20th 2009, 11:20 PM

Definitely not a big deal to smoke, but you'll be able to dictate your own actions while you're high.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: smoking weed - October 21st 2009, 06:44 AM

To me, yes, weed tends to be a stress reliever. I also find comedowns really hard because you start to remember that there is a different reality and it's not what you live in. I don't think it's worth it in the end.

I think weed is okay if you're doing it for social purposes, and it's on your own terms. I don't think it's okay if you're using it to fix things in your life or using it as a sort of medication for depression or something.

Sometimes you say really stupid shit when you're high. You can act stupid, laugh a lot, I know I eat like food is going non-existent. You do have a certain amount of control over your actions in my experience, but only to a certain degree. And sometimes you decide to do stupid things because you're not really in the right mind frame.

Make sure you don't drive, or have anything planned to do if you are going to try weed. Make sure you're not in a place you can easily get paranoid, especially for your first time. Some people become extremely paranoid. Your friend could probably talk you down though.

Also keep in mind if your friend smokes a lot, his tolerance will be much higher than yours, when you feel you've smoked enough, then stop. He will need to smoke more to get high, and smoking too much and getting too high isn't always fun.

Stay safe!

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ady- Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: smoking weed - October 21st 2009, 08:52 PM

Pot was used by the FBI as a way to get people to tell people the truth, a joint now and again doesnt harm you but smoking it alot... that is a big no no
  Send a message via AIM to Ady- Send a message via MSN to Ady- Send a message via Yahoo to Ady- Send a message via Skype™ to Ady- 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: smoking weed - October 23rd 2009, 05:32 AM

Pot can be a decent stress-reliever, however, that's not always the case. Some people get somewhat the opposite in that they slip into a state of paranoia. While smoking it may not be the healthiest thing you can do to yourself, smoking it once is not likely to get you "addicted" (psychologically) and it's not likely to do much physiological damage to you.

As for the weight issue, if you only smoke it once then there's not going to be a noticable difference at all. You may feel a bit hungry afterward but you're not going to instantly lose lots of weight nor are you going to gain lots of weight. Pot itself doesn't cause you to lose or gain weight but rather the effects that it produces leads you to either lose or gain weight.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: smoking weed - October 23rd 2009, 11:49 AM

I find this helpful

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Synaestheasiaen Offline
Average Joe

Re: smoking weed - November 2nd 2009, 11:34 PM

The questions of weed you just asked are some of the most standard, and if you haven't done any research or educated yourself on it, you are most definitely not ready to be smoking. Erowid.org is your friend. No one can answer these questions in one particular right way because it depends on the person. You can lose or gain weight, act stupid and be reckless, or relieve your stress. It depends and you shouldn't be doing it solely to help stressful issues. Marijuana is plenty of fun, but if it's your first time it will either chill you out, or freak you out. The possibilities are endless.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: smoking weed - November 3rd 2009, 01:07 AM

everyones reactions to different drugs will be different.. so no one can tell you exactly how you'll feel. for me, yes it definitely was a stress-reliever and just generally made me feel calm. the high you get from weed is not really intense like a lot of other drugs and unless i smoked quite a bit of it i really didn't feel all that different at all.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#10 (permalink)) Old
mIssIng:nO Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: smoking weed - November 16th 2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ady- View Post
Pot was used by the FBI as a way to get people to tell people the truth, a joint now and again doesnt harm you but smoking it alot... that is a big no no
Sorry man, but this aint true.

Too OP, smoking weed is pretty much fine. Obviously since its smoke going into your lungs its gonna be bad for you, but as long as you don't go overboard on how much you toke, you should be in for a good time.

and too be honest, the munchies do happen, but just gobble down a whole pizza and you should be good

(#11 (permalink)) Old
disaster117 Offline
Disappear here.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alyssa

Re: smoking weed - November 16th 2009, 11:12 PM

Definitely look into some stuff on Erowid.org like Synaestheasiaen mentioned if you're not sure. But here's my 2 cents:

I've done extensive research throughout my high school career on marijuana. It's not as bad as everyone wants you to think it is. It's probably one of the least dangerous things you can do to your body. I've smoked my share of weed, and I only had one bad experience. I won't go into detail because I'm suspicious that it had something else in it, but anyway... I'm a strong believer in trying everything once. As long as you trust the person you're smoking with, you're pretty safe. The stress relieving thing is ambiguous. You might feel a general weight off your shoulders feeling, but you have to know that it doesn't last. The next morning is always a little depressing to me because I still want to be high. I didn't experience any sort of weight gain/loss at all. I had the munchies and yeah, we ate a lot, but nothing ever happened to my body during my weed 'peak' in my life, so to speak. I also agree with what Gidig said about smoking for a social purpose versus smoking to fix something in your life. Weed will definitely not fix anything, it just kind of puts everything on a hold. It's a great feeling (in my opinion), but I wouldn't try it if you're doing it for some self-medication purposes.

"We all become important when we realize our goal should be to figure out our role within the context of the whole."

“Alright, no need to fight
’cause everybody’s different
and there’s nothin’ you can do about it
and just because I don’t look like you
or act like you it doesn’t make me
any better or worse”
  Send a message via MSN to disaster117  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Eighmeekins Offline
learning to love life ♀♀♥
Not a n00b

Name: Amy Elizabeth

Re: smoking weed - November 18th 2009, 02:23 AM

Just make sure that he's getting it from a good source. You don't want to be laced with some shit. My friend and I were smoking with a couple of her friends and they had laced with some crap, I still don't even know what it was. They did it as a joke just to see what we would do, but still. It's unlikely that this will actually happen since it would cost the person giving it to you extra money, unless they really overcharge you...
But all in all it's just a fun drug. It doesn't do anything to you. The only part I don't like is when your head feels like it weighs a thousand pounds when you're coming off of it.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: smoking weed - November 20th 2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaster117 View Post
Definitely look into some stuff on Erowid.org like Synaestheasiaen mentioned if you're not sure. But here's my 2 cents:

I've done extensive research throughout my high school career on marijuana. It's not as bad as everyone wants you to think it is. It's probably one of the least dangerous things you can do to your body. I've smoked my share of weed, and I only had one bad experience. I won't go into detail because I'm suspicious that it had something else in it, but anyway... I'm a strong believer in trying everything once. As long as you trust the person you're smoking with, you're pretty safe. The stress relieving thing is ambiguous. You might feel a general weight off your shoulders feeling, but you have to know that it doesn't last. The next morning is always a little depressing to me because I still want to be high. I didn't experience any sort of weight gain/loss at all. I had the munchies and yeah, we ate a lot, but nothing ever happened to my body during my weed 'peak' in my life, so to speak. I also agree with what Gidig said about smoking for a social purpose versus smoking to fix something in your life. Weed will definitely not fix anything, it just kind of puts everything on a hold. It's a great feeling (in my opinion), but I wouldn't try it if you're doing it for some self-medication purposes.
I agree with alot you said, but this is wrong.
If used properly weed can very much help you, I can honestly say weed has helped me keep my head level on more then one occasion, due too the fact that it helps me open my mind and be more honest with my self. Same way in the fact that LSD can help someone by giving them a break through.
I'm not saying go out and smoke alot of weed or gobble down a mound of acid if you are having some problems, but if you use these things properly, they can both open your mind and give you a clearer view on things that may be troubling you.
Bassically, alot of times if i had the urge to cut or do something that would harm myself. I'd say "I'm going to smoke a joint first, if i still feel the same way after, I will continue on" I can tell you 95% of the time, i didnt continue because in my changed mental state, i was able to deal with what ever had me feeling like i needed to bleed to escape it. So if you know what you want too do, I'm a strong supporter or what Marijaunna can do for you mentally, because it has helped me and helped people around me, but you have to be prepared to deeply think about what is troubling you, and in your altered state of mind, an unexperienced user may trip badly, and make things alot worse ( I can not stress enough, do not smoke weed as a crutch, it will not help) But I do agree that if you want too smoke, smoke too have fun in a social setting. Expessially if you are just starting out, as smoking alone while being unprepared can lead to some pretty bad panic attacks.

I'm not going to get into using LSD as help, because its more of a baptism by fire. It did keep me alive one night, because i had a trip of if i had gone threw with it, i would have ended up in hell because of how I lived my life, i can say after that trip, ALOT of things i used too do that weren't good for me, I no longer do.

Edit: Alot of people may warn you about laced weed, saying that they smoked something that was laced. But 99% of the time, it wasn't laced, it was just really strong and the people had a really strong trip.
Too the people saying weed isn't an intense high, have not smoked high quality weed, I'm not trying to say this as a "I'm more experienced stoner then you! i smoke better weed" But I've been smoking everyday for 3 years, and ALOT of weed everyday. And i've smoked alot of types of weed, and there are strains of weed that will fuck your shit up too put it politely, I've had weed put me on my ass and puking after 3 hits, and i've been smoking for a long time. I don't mean you'll laugh too hard and eat alot. I mean you'll start puking out your lungs and have major feelings of dread and anxiety.

If i can offer any advice, do not ask for high quality weed, because it may end up giving you a really, really bad trip. If you have a dealer who knows his shit, ask him for Mids or Regs, those are what i started off with, and they are good for a beginer. I would not advise smoking high grade dank (you can tell by the ammount of thricomes on it, if its pretty much covered in little crystal looking things, do not smoke it, that is very very high quality)

But mainly, go in expecting too have a good time, and if you start feeling bad, take a warm shower or lay down.

Last edited by mIssIng:nO; November 20th 2009 at 12:35 AM.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
l0stCause Offline
chaos walks
Junior TeenHelper

Re: smoking weed - November 21st 2009, 05:09 PM

ian hit the nail on the head weed is a pretty generic term. but there are hundreds of thousands of different strains of the plant each with its own characteristics and effects if ur planning on smoking deffinetly try it with sum1 who knows what there doing and simply ask them what the shit they get does to them.

“Chaos is the score upon which reality is written.”

(#15 (permalink)) Old
disaster117 Offline
Disappear here.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alyssa

Re: smoking weed - November 21st 2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mIssIng:nO View Post
I agree with alot you said, but this is wrong.
If used properly weed can very much help you, I can honestly say weed has helped me keep my head level on more then one occasion, due too the fact that it helps me open my mind and be more honest with my self. Same way in the fact that LSD can help someone by giving them a break through.
I'm not saying go out and smoke alot of weed or gobble down a mound of acid if you are having some problems, but if you use these things properly, they can both open your mind and give you a clearer view on things that may be troubling you.
Bassically, alot of times if i had the urge to cut or do something that would harm myself. I'd say "I'm going to smoke a joint first, if i still feel the same way after, I will continue on" I can tell you 95% of the time, i didnt continue because in my changed mental state, i was able to deal with what ever had me feeling like i needed to bleed to escape it. So if you know what you want too do, I'm a strong supporter or what Marijaunna can do for you mentally, because it has helped me and helped people around me, but you have to be prepared to deeply think about what is troubling you, and in your altered state of mind, an unexperienced user may trip badly, and make things alot worse ( I can not stress enough, do not smoke weed as a crutch, it will not help) But I do agree that if you want too smoke, smoke too have fun in a social setting. Expessially if you are just starting out, as smoking alone while being unprepared can lead to some pretty bad panic attacks.

I'm not going to get into using LSD as help, because its more of a baptism by fire. It did keep me alive one night, because i had a trip of if i had gone threw with it, i would have ended up in hell because of how I lived my life, i can say after that trip, ALOT of things i used too do that weren't good for me, I no longer do.

Edit: Alot of people may warn you about laced weed, saying that they smoked something that was laced. But 99% of the time, it wasn't laced, it was just really strong and the people had a really strong trip.
Too the people saying weed isn't an intense high, have not smoked high quality weed, I'm not trying to say this as a "I'm more experienced stoner then you! i smoke better weed" But I've been smoking everyday for 3 years, and ALOT of weed everyday. And i've smoked alot of types of weed, and there are strains of weed that will fuck your shit up too put it politely, I've had weed put me on my ass and puking after 3 hits, and i've been smoking for a long time. I don't mean you'll laugh too hard and eat alot. I mean you'll start puking out your lungs and have major feelings of dread and anxiety.

If i can offer any advice, do not ask for high quality weed, because it may end up giving you a really, really bad trip. If you have a dealer who knows his shit, ask him for Mids or Regs, those are what i started off with, and they are good for a beginer. I would not advise smoking high grade dank (you can tell by the ammount of thricomes on it, if its pretty much covered in little crystal looking things, do not smoke it, that is very very high quality)

But mainly, go in expecting too have a good time, and if you start feeling bad, take a warm shower or lay down.
This is something that I STRONGLY disagree with: "Bassically, alot of times if i had the urge to cut or do something that would harm myself. I'd say "I'm going to smoke a joint first, if i still feel the same way after, I will continue on" I can tell you 95% of the time, i didnt continue because in my changed mental state, i was able to deal with what ever had me feeling like i needed to bleed to escape it."

You are saying that when you felt the need to cut yourself, you would get high instead, correct? How is this healthy? Please tell me. Yes I don't think weed is that unhealthy for you, HOWEVER, if you are using it to "escape" then it can become psychologically addicting. I know for a fact that cutting is an addiction after a while. I know that when I start, I can't stop. If you are using something else to try to get over that addiction, you're basically just adding fuel to the fire. In my opinion, you shouldn't have to use something to get over an addiction. I think you're better off getting over the addiction yourself, with willpower. I believe that everyone has that capability, it's just easier for some.

"I can not stress enough, do not smoke weed as a crutch, it will not help" is that not what you're doing? When you want to cut yourself, you smoke a joint instead, and after you don't want to cut yourself. This is the definition of a "crutch". Everything you said makes absolutely no sense, I'm sorry.

I don't even want to get into LSD right now. One time, my friend tried it with his other friend, and it spiraled him into a depression, leading him to try to kill himself two times so far. No medications help him enough to get over what he "tripped" about that night. It was horrible for him. I will never try LSD for this reason. This drug is dangerous.

Weed is dangerous too. Maybe the drug isn't as dangerous as people make it out to be, but the right people have to be using it. If the wrong people get their hands on it, and use it as a crutch as I think you are doing, things can get out of hand; such as smoking every single day.

"We all become important when we realize our goal should be to figure out our role within the context of the whole."

“Alright, no need to fight
’cause everybody’s different
and there’s nothin’ you can do about it
and just because I don’t look like you
or act like you it doesn’t make me
any better or worse”
  Send a message via MSN to disaster117  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: smoking weed - November 22nd 2009, 09:32 PM

I've never gotten high or anything, but i know that different people react differently.
Just be safe, and make sure its not because you feel pressured to do so

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: smoking weed - November 24th 2009, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaster117 View Post
This is something that I STRONGLY disagree with: "Bassically, alot of times if i had the urge to cut or do something that would harm myself. I'd say "I'm going to smoke a joint first, if i still feel the same way after, I will continue on" I can tell you 95% of the time, i didnt continue because in my changed mental state, i was able to deal with what ever had me feeling like i needed to bleed to escape it."

You are saying that when you felt the need to cut yourself, you would get high instead, correct? How is this healthy? Please tell me. Yes I don't think weed is that unhealthy for you, HOWEVER, if you are using it to "escape" then it can become psychologically addicting. I know for a fact that cutting is an addiction after a while. I know that when I start, I can't stop. If you are using something else to try to get over that addiction, you're basically just adding fuel to the fire. In my opinion, you shouldn't have to use something to get over an addiction. I think you're better off getting over the addiction yourself, with willpower. I believe that everyone has that capability, it's just easier for some.

"I can not stress enough, do not smoke weed as a crutch, it will not help" is that not what you're doing? When you want to cut yourself, you smoke a joint instead, and after you don't want to cut yourself. This is the definition of a "crutch". Everything you said makes absolutely no sense, I'm sorry.

I don't even want to get into LSD right now. One time, my friend tried it with his other friend, and it spiraled him into a depression, leading him to try to kill himself two times so far. No medications help him enough to get over what he "tripped" about that night. It was horrible for him. I will never try LSD for this reason. This drug is dangerous.

Weed is dangerous too. Maybe the drug isn't as dangerous as people make it out to be, but the right people have to be using it. If the wrong people get their hands on it, and use it as a crutch as I think you are doing, things can get out of hand; such as smoking every single day.
I guess you didn't really get what I was trying too say, probably my fault.
I VERY VERY much said I don't advice using weed as a crutch.
Let me try and clear something up. I never said I got high too deal with my cutting. I said I smoked a j, over the course of the joint (cigs worked too, but I've recently quit) I would take the time too reflect on what i was having a problem with and thought about it. I don't know if you've ever done it, but smoking alone can be one of the most relaxing setting too think about everything thats wrong. Put it this way, me smoking too think about everything that was the problem, is exactly the same as someone taking a bath and thinking about there problems. I never said "GET HIGH TO HELP WITH YOUR PROBLEMS", I actually advise people not too, but I do think people should find what gives them ability too be completely open and honest with themselves, for me it was smoking a joint, for some people its having a cig, for some its going for a run?

Its not the getting high that helped me, as alot of times a single joint won't get me too a level of highness where my mental state changes enough to have something happen. But more so the act of going outside , alone. Sitting back with a joint and having time to reflect, I guess I could have just sat outside and reflected, but I prefer to sit outside while having a smoke, I don't see how this makes it a crutch, I guess reflecting on things is a crutch?

I'm not going to get into LSD, because alot of people don't understand what it can actually do. I agree that you shouldn't do LSD, its not for everyone. I've only ever done it twice, and the first time i did was at a time in my life where i said "If this kills me, I don't really care" because i didn't really care, but I ended up understanding alot about myself from what happened on the trip.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I disagree that smoking every day is bad. If you smoke a joint once a day, its not different then having a beer or two, infact it might be healthier.

Closed Thread