TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stained Dreamer Offline
I will not be treated that way
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

I'm worried my friend is on pot...or worse? - November 8th 2009, 02:03 PM

so i think he's on pot...because about a month ago, in class, he'd be responsive and answer questions and stuff but not anymore. Over the past month, he's gotten quieter, he has dark cirlces around his eyes, he doesn't smile, and he sleeps in class all the time. I'm in high school, but our school starts late compared to most high schools (8:15am)...could he be on pot?

I want a moment to be real
Want to touch things I don't feel
Want to hold on, and feel I belong
And how can the world want me to change?
They're the ones that stay the same
They don't know me, but I'm still here

(#2 (permalink)) Old
mr_null Offline
Formerly known as mr_null
Average Joe

Re: I'm worried my friend is on pot...or worse? - November 8th 2009, 06:06 PM

That's no reason to assume he's on drugs, there's plenty of other reasons someone might be behind on sleep. I went through all of grades 11 and 12 a zombie because I was always too anxious to fall asleep on time.

Also FYI, marijuana is one of the safest drugs you can take, it's not really something to worry about in most cases.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stained Dreamer Offline
I will not be treated that way
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Re: I'm worried my friend is on pot...or worse? - November 8th 2009, 06:33 PM

pot really messes people up and it's a gateway drug...so i'm worried that, okay, so pot might not be such a big deal but could he move into something more dangerous from it? and if it's not caused by pot...what else could make him act like that?

I want a moment to be real
Want to touch things I don't feel
Want to hold on, and feel I belong
And how can the world want me to change?
They're the ones that stay the same
They don't know me, but I'm still here

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: I'm worried my friend is on pot...or worse? - November 8th 2009, 09:11 PM

Hey, yes pot is a gateway drug so it's theoretically possible for him to get into harder drugs, but I think you might be jumping to conclusions. He's your friend so you should use your own judgment, but I think you should talk to him before assuming or accusing him of drug use. There are a lot of reasons people's personalities can change and for them to suddenly start falling asleep in class. He might have something going on in his life that is stressing him out. The best advice I can give is to talk to him and see what he says, but keep in mind that he might not be open to talking about it right away or at all.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: I'm worried my friend is on pot...or worse? - November 8th 2009, 09:24 PM

There are lots of reasons he could be lacking in school and sleeping a lot more than usual. One of them, yes could be pot. Or maybe he's just getting stressed from school or home life, or relationship issues. There are hundreds of things I could name someone could be stressed from, many being worse than pot, many not. Maybe he's just getting depressed or sleepless nights for no specific reason.

Really, I would just talk to him about it. It doesn't even have to be serious at first, you could just kind of lightly bring it up that he sleeps all class and watch his reaction.

I think it's good though that you've taken notice to his change in behavior. That way someone can talk to him about it and figure out whats wrong and if he needs help.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Ollie- Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ollie

Re: I'm worried my friend is on pot...or worse? - November 8th 2009, 09:56 PM

its not proven that pot is a gateway drug, propaganda to me.
He might not even be on drugs, i had real bad sleeping in high school, and i started to smoke pot at the end of high school, so people naturally assumed i was stoned, but 90% of the time i was just very tired.

Last edited by Ollie-; November 8th 2009 at 10:14 PM.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Re: I'm worried my friend is on pot...or worse? - November 8th 2009, 11:30 PM

I'm going to speak to you from experience here, pot is only a gateway drug if it's wanted to be. There is no study to chemically prove that pot is something to lead you to other drugs. Those studies go off of assumptions and soft science studies that simply ask the number of people who have tried pot and considered other drugs. So, I'm not saying it won't be your friends 'gateway' drug, I'm saying that shouldn't be your concern right now because you're still unsure if he is even doing pot.

I smoke pot and before that I tried one other 'hard' drug. So, things happen in different ways for different people. I have so many friends who would never even consider anything other that pot. Why am I saying this? Because I'm trying to explain it depends on your friend and why he's smoking pot in the first place, if at all.

The best idea I have for you is to confront him. Ask him and see what he says. He could just be having troubles at home. The signs you're noticing aren't just related to pot. However, I do think if they're going on enough for you to worry, you should confront him, in case it is something worse than pot. Even if he doesn't admit to any drug abuse, at least let him know you're there for him.

If you find out he is on pot, talk to him about it and find out why and where he stands. If he's highly reliant on it and uses it to cope, you should talk to him about something more productive, because that is when I would worry about other drug abuse. If he does it every once in a while, then I would worry a little less. Either way, listen to him and hear him out. You're a good friend for caring and I hope everything works out for you. Take care.

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Synaestheasiaen Offline
Average Joe

Re: I'm worried my friend is on pot...or worse? - November 9th 2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
pot really messes people up and it's a gateway drug...so i'm worried that, okay, so pot might not be such a big deal but could he move into something more dangerous from it? and if it's not caused by pot...what else could make him act like that?
Okay, I most certainly need to provide feedback on this post. Pot has never been proven to be a gateway drug. If you look at it from an unbiased perspective, the herb is not to blame if your friend begins moving up to harder drugs, because in all honesty, if the person is moving up higher and higher in the drug chain it's because they chose to. Marijuana may have helped open a can of worms, but that's not to say it's all due to trying pot. And secondly, just because your friend is quieter and looking more tired than usual, does not mean in any way that they are on drugs. That's like saying I haven't gotten much sleep lately, so I must be out at all hours of the night snorting blow. Thirdly, hardly if ever has pot really,truly destroyed someone's life. If you are easily succumbed to getting lazy and not caring about work, school, family etc. then once again, that is your choice. Pot truly can coerse someone into becoming a loser, but the pot is not to be blamed completely.

I suggest you try reading up on Marijuana, and unbiased information. No governmentally funded sites. Try Erowid.org. Very nice and informative website. If you truly believe your friend is doing drugs, make sure you're both knowledgable on the subject and ease into it. No accusations, no persuading, no scolding. Just talk about it. If your friend does decide to smoke pot, there's really nothing you can do but be there as a friend. It is not as bad as some people are taught to think.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: I'm worried my friend is on pot...or worse? - November 10th 2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarislife519 View Post
pot really messes people up and it's a gateway drug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly88
Hey, yes pot is a gateway drug
I've yet to see a reputable, scientific article showing that. The only times I've seen it supported is from propaganda and other non-reputable sources. If you're so convinced it is, then I'm curious to see what your sources are for this.

As for his behavior, there's a plethora of things that could cause it aside from marijuana. I'm not sure why you hopped to the idea of marijuana and ignored something such as insomnia or depression, both of which could explain his behavioral changes.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Umberto Offline
Average Joe

Re: I'm worried my friend is on pot...or worse? - November 12th 2009, 10:56 AM

Pot is only said to be a gateway drug because studies of heroin and other addicts found out that in nearly all cases the first illegal drug they took was pot. This is because they had an interest in taking drugs and pot is easily available and not dangerous, not because the pot lead them to try heroin. You might as well say milk is a gateway because all addicts started on it as children.

(this is in no way a justification for taking drugs of course, but always keep in mind that polls and studies can be misleading. Correlation does not equal causation)

As for your friend, dont leap to conclusions. Talk to him.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
mIssIng:nO Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I'm worried my friend is on pot...or worse? - November 16th 2009, 12:27 AM

Hey man, your worrying too much about if he's smoking weed.
In some people, its not the best idea, but most people if there responsive can smoke weed and have no troubles at all.

Infact, now that i think about it, smoking weed may have kept me on the ball for alot of things.

P,s its only a gateway drug if you let it. It doesn't MAKE you take anything else.

Closed Thread