TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   drug addiction: HELP ME PLEASE (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t29638-drug-addiction-help-me-please/)

whocares November 8th 2009 11:44 PM

drug addiction: HELP ME PLEASE

at first i started with marijuana, and then it moved onto other things like crack, cocaine, and ecstasy. i am having a really hard time trying to stop the drugs and live my life sober. but i cant seem to do it and i dont know what else to do.
also, i play on the varsity basketball team and i know that my teammates would be very disappointed if i get busted for drugs and kicked out of athletics.
any advice?

broken_raine November 11th 2009 06:03 PM

Re: drug addiction: HELP ME PLEASE

well seeing you have a problem is the first step, and second is the wanting to do something about it. Congrats! You're already on your way to recovery. Maybe telling an adult, like your coach, you could get some help if you find you can't do it yourself. I'm sure he/she will keep it between you and them rather than telling your teammates.

If that is just not an option, stop hanging around the people you do drugs with. Whenever you feel the need for drugs, go practice shooting some hoops or go for a walk. Do something physical to keep you busy. Ask someone trustworthy to hold your money, or put in a bank account or something else where you can't touch it so you don't have any to buy any drugs. Find something that can keep you happy and occupied. I found horses, my niece and nephew, and singing.

These things may not help, because this is a very serious problem. You should really talk to a counselor or parents or someone to get you on the right track. Good luck, and God bless

twk. November 12th 2009 03:00 AM

I found being aware of how often i was using (and how much i was spending) was the first step. Tracking it from week to week monitoring how often i would drop etc.

Then try to slow down your usage. Giving up straight away is difficult, and depending on what you use, withdrawls are breaking. Try to ease out of it.

I found this helped me, as i had no-one i felt i could talk to about it.

The above post is also a very good idea, try to replace your habits with physical activity.

l0stCause November 19th 2009 11:53 PM

how to stop really depends on why u use, i know a lot of people who used socially eith there friends which made it hard to quit, they would have to make a mental effort to avoid places where they knew ppl were using. other ppl use to cope with there emotions if that the case a hpbby will usually help.
mt point is try and reflect back on y ur using and u should be able to find easier ways to stop

good luck quitting aint easy but i can tell u its the best choice u could ever make
(and this is coming from an ex addict)