TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Should I....? - December 2nd 2009, 07:48 PM

All right, so here's the story... I had some issues with acid and skag in a previous life (i've been off for more than a few months now ) and one of the buds who supported me through it and would never cease to remind me how fucked up my life can get if I didn't stop, who still constantly warns me how good it is to avoid the stuff, etc, etc... is offering me weed as an alternative. now its been a decent amount of time since i've had a hit or shot up, so I don't really feel the need for a substitute anymore... i'm doing fine without dealing in any of that business, with perhaps a few cravings now and again. But he keeps offering it up, and do want to do it. I won't sugar coat that, I'm quite interested in giving it a whirl having never smoked before... And I hear one of the safest substances, with little after effects and no physical addiction what-so-ever... which is excellent, considering what I've come off of.

So, well, I suppose what I'm asking is that is there really any downside to trying smoking pot? Or are there reasons I shouldnt? Because I do remain hesitant...

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Should I....? - December 2nd 2009, 10:02 PM

It's really up to you if you want to or not. As far as I know there aren't any real proven long term effects of it and I've never heard of someone being physically addicted to it.
If you're smoking it I guess it might have some sort of bad effect on your lungs, but I don't think it'd be as bad as smoking a cigarette. Seeing as cigarettes have all those fun things added to the tobacco unlike a jonit.

I could be wrong though, I'm not exactly well versed on the use of drugs.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
twk. Offline
Serves Servants
Not a n00b

Name: Šenial

Re: Should I....? - December 3rd 2009, 01:34 AM

no, it's not physically addictive, although if you smoke it with tobacco (spin) then the nicotine in tobacco is addictive.
It's not as bad for you as LSD/Hemo, for sure (although i have been told that pure hemo isn't actually that harmful, it's just the crap that gets cut into it which makes it dangerous), But as you are smoking you'll notice over time that you'll have decreased lung capacity etc

Also there's been some ties to underlying mental conditions being triggered through the use of marijuana. It's not common but if you have a family history of say shizophrenia or anything similar you may want to be a little hesitant.

Most people will agree that out of all the 'illegal' drugs marijuana is the least harmful .

it's the beauty of confession

eviL.evoL

Send a message via MSN to twk. Send a message via Skype™ to twk. 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
l0stCause Offline
chaos walks
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Should I....? - December 4th 2009, 12:37 AM

if u keep it as a recreational use thing then theres really no problem. and as an ex smak addict i can tell you it does help when i get those rare cravings

“Chaos is the score upon which reality is written.”

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Should I....? - December 4th 2009, 01:52 AM

I, personally, would tell you no. But It's better than hardcore drugs.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: Should I....? - December 6th 2009, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the responses, everyone.
I don't think I'm going to do it. Thinking about it has sort of made me think more about the old stuff, and I really don't want to go back to that since I've made it so far. I'm nervous that the whole "gateway" drug thing is true...

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
baileybay Offline
bay
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bailey

Re: Should I....? - December 11th 2009, 07:20 AM

Speaking from experince i would say you shouldnt do any drugs even weed. I was clean for amost 6 months and smoked and went right back into the hardcore stuff in a matter of weeks.

"You'll come away with a great little story of a mess of deamer with the nerve to adore you!"

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Should I....? - December 11th 2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phin View Post
Thanks for the responses, everyone.
I don't think I'm going to do it. Thinking about it has sort of made me think more about the old stuff, and I really don't want to go back to that since I've made it so far. I'm nervous that the whole "gateway" drug thing is true...
Anyone who says that it is true, in terms of the scientific community will be laughed out of the room. The main reason is mountains of empirical evidence. If you don't have access to scientific journals, you can try Google scholar.

There are physical effects, such as possible paranoia and other effects, however, it's probably less damaging than the others. It does have long-term effects, such as memory impairment, correlation with cancers, etc... . It can produce some impairment like alcohol, however, it's dosage-dependent. There is some concern though over marijuana smoking being more damaging than cigarettes, although some studies don't agree.

Last edited by InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU; December 11th 2009 at 09:29 AM.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
idontknow9 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Should I....? - December 14th 2009, 07:17 PM

id say no, personally, after a while weed stopped appealing to me as much and i wanted more of a high

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Synaestheasiaen Offline
Average Joe

Re: Should I....? - December 28th 2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
If you're smoking it I guess it might have some sort of bad effect on your lungs, but I don't think it'd be as bad as smoking a cigarette. Seeing as cigarettes have all those fun things added to the tobacco unlike a jonit.

I could be wrong though, I'm not exactly well versed on the use of drugs.
Here let me clear that up a bit, you were on the right track. Marijuana side effects do include tar on your lungs after a while of smoking heavily but that also depends on WHAT it is you're smoking out of. Use a bowl, bong, gravity bong, gravity vortex or vaporizer. The pot comes out much cleaner and also restores about 75% of the thc you ingest making for a better high, but it's joints and blunt wraps (the ones with the tobacco inside) that increase risk for cancer. The tobacco residue over time will build up risk for illness and i'm not really sure why, but joint paper increases risk too. Smoking pot can also increase heart rate, risk for respiratory illness, anxiety, and possibly uncover a mental illness you may have not known about, but this is not likely. If you're smart about it and toke every once in a while you'll be fine, but don't use this as a quick fix. If you're an addict all you're really doing is switching up your drug. Do not become dependent on it. Sure it's just an herb but if you've already had issues with drugs in the past, you could do damage no matter how big or small if you choose to rely on weed.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: Should I....? - January 3rd 2010, 06:33 PM

No..NO..NO! bad idea, it will almost 100% bring you right back to where you left off. No weed no drugs keep it clean.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Should I....? - January 4th 2010, 03:07 AM

As someone who dabbles in the drug world, and honestly supports the right to try marijuana and so forth, I'm going to say it's probably not a good idea.

The thing about weed, is you have to be extremely safe about it. It can be extremely psychologically addicting, which is the part of the addiction you deal with for the rest of your life. And, since you have been addicted to drugs before, the chance that you can be again is really high.

Not worth it in my opinion. Especially if you don't need an alternative to begin with.
Best of luck
Maria.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

Closed Thread