TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while

Best Friend. - January 25th 2010, 03:28 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

My best friend does a lot of drugs, and it's not good for him. At All.
I'm really worried about him,
And I know I can't control his decisions, but I also don't want him to get really far in this, because he's becoming addicted to drugs that will easily kill him.

What do I do?
I can't lose my best friend.
I can't. /:

When you can't find your way home,
and when life gets too hard to face on your own.
I will stand as a light through the darkness unknown,
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Re: Best Friend. - January 26th 2010, 04:49 PM

Hey Kayla,

Drugs can be hard for everyone around someone who's participating in using them. Not only for the one abusing them, but for friends and family and many others. It's definitely a good idea for you to be getting advice about this. First of all, I would educate yourself more about the drugs you know he takes and watch him carefully. If they are dangerous, hard drugs like Meth, Heroin and other things, look them up, their affects and etc. Knowing more about what you're battling is always helpful. I'm not saying you need to use this information, but it can help you feel more comfortable for the next thing I'm going to suggest.

I think the worst thing people can do for a friend who is possibly having drug problems is staying quiet. If you are worried and concerned, bring this up to him. Let him know that you're concerned about the amount he is using and list off the things you're beginning to notice that worry you. Let him know you care and ask him if there are alternate reasons he's beginning to rely on drugs. Try to get him to open up, so you can understand his perception on the drugs he's using. Sometimes, people use drugs to escape, while others for pure joy. Not everyone is trying to run from a past or present problem. Once you find out why he's taking drugs, you can give him logical reasons to stop using drugs. Suggest him talking to a professional or seeking help from others. Coming out about all these things and all the concerns you have will give him something to think about. Instead of staying quiet.

If you feel he is really out of control and won't listen to you, and he is trying to harm himself etc, then it might be best to seek help from parents or someone like a teacher etc. Especially if you think he is using these things to harm himself or be self destructive. The most important thing to remember is that he lives through this, even if you have to seem like the 'bad guy.' Try and be there for him to listen and understand. Because threats and other scare tactics aren't the best ways to get someone to understand and give up an addiction.

Remember to only do as much as you can. Try not to get overwhelmed. You need to take care of yourself too. I wish you the best of luck for this and stay strong.

-Melissa

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

Closed Thread