TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   question about meds and alcohol (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t3658-question-about-meds-alcohol/)

leex1123 January 31st 2009 10:23 AM

question about meds and alcohol

I think that i might be getting started on anxiety medacation very soon and my therpist says that if im on the meds i cant drink because it could be dangerous. The problem is I drink alot, probably way to much for someone my age. Its going to be really hard to stop. I want to stop because i need the meds but i have tried stoping before and it didnt work. Do you have any suggestions? And what would happen if the two of them mixed?

Hyper Sonic January 31st 2009 10:32 AM

Re: question about meds and alcohol

You'd have to ask the doctor who prescribes you the drugs what would happen and you should mention you drink a lot (your doctor cannot tell anyone). To slowly quit you should slow down a little bit day by day until you quit.

It'd help if you know the reasons why you drink (loneliness, boredom, escapism etc) and attempt to combat it

leex1123 January 31st 2009 10:58 AM

Yeah thank you, i will ask the doctor. And i drink for different reasons. Sometimes when im stressed or sad. Other times to have fun with friends at parties and be more outgoing and less insecure.

TibbySkye January 31st 2009 11:21 AM

I'm on anti anxieties and I've been told drinking while on them can lead to severe illness, seizures or even death.
It all depends on what you're on.

InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU January 31st 2009 12:31 PM

Generally, alcohol plus pills is bad, such as getting a toxic effect from the pills due to the alcohol's effect.

DeletedAccount71 January 31st 2009 12:53 PM

I'm on a mood stabilizer and an anti-depressant. If I were to drink copious amounts of alcohol the chemical reaction that would occur between my medications and the alcohol would cause serious illness or possibly even kill me, depending on how much I drank. If anything, it also alters my neurochemistry.

Like people have said, the best way to really answer your questions is to ask your doctor. Practitioner- client confidentiality laws prohibit him or her from telling anybody, and they would have the best answer for you. However, if you are too uncomfortable with that, you can google the medication you will be taking and its effect when mixed with alcohol.

Dustin February 2nd 2009 02:03 PM

any time you take medication especially for anxiety it intensifies the effects...

BrittneyNicole February 2nd 2009 02:46 PM

You'll need to talk to your doctor and let him/her know that you drink. When on anxiety medicine, and most other medicines, you really shouldn't drink because it can cause SERIOUS affects including death. Even though it might be hard not to drink, you need to just refuse to let yourself.

InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU February 3rd 2009 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin (Post 41493)
any time you take medication especially for anxiety it intensifies the effects...

What do you mean by "it"? Do you mean alcohol or medications?

emerson February 3rd 2009 06:36 PM

I'd like to add that you ought to stop drinking BEFORE you start on meds.
Especially if your doctor says the effects might be severe if you drink; don't just start on the meds and assume you'll be able to stop drinking.

(I'm on anti-anxiety/depression meds and it's not too big a deal if I have a glass of wine or something while I'm on them, but it depends on the medication. and copious amounts of alcohol aren't good with any meds. at all.)

TibbySkye February 3rd 2009 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourNightmare (Post 43004)
What do you mean by "it"? Do you mean alcohol or medications?

I could tell he meant alcohol....
Be nice.

InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU February 3rd 2009 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TibbySkye (Post 43058)
I could tell he meant alcohol....
Be nice.

Actually I was nice, I was a bit confused there.

leex1123 February 4th 2009 07:55 PM

Wow the effects of mixing them are pretty scary. I will talk to my doctor and also I will try really hard to stop drinking before i get the pills. Thanks everyone for your advice!

darkinnocenteyes February 4th 2009 09:33 PM

I have mixed alcohol and antidepressants before... it was on accident before I knew the risks.... but it really messed with me badly... the drunkenness would last for days... I did all sorts of crazy things. It's really a bad Idea to do this. I did things completely and totally out of my character and put myself in a huge amount of danger. Deffinately tell your doctor or stop drinking. It made me very suicidal.