TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

View Poll Results: What percent of people drink in college- on average?
90-100% 10 23.81%
80-90% 12 28.57%
70-80% 8 19.05%
50-70% 11 26.19%
30-50% 1 2.38%
Rarely Anyone 0 0%
Other- please specify 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Drinking in College - April 6th 2010, 04:36 AM

What percent of people do you know/have a good idea about that drink alcohol in college?

If you have any experience with transitioning from high school to college in relation to drinking.. please share!

If you do not drink in college, can you tell me about your experiences with that. If it's hard, easy, do you feel pressured or that you are missing out?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
VitruvianDoc Offline
Medical Student
Not a n00b

Name: Charles

Re: Drinking in College - April 6th 2010, 04:45 AM

Came from highschool never having tasted alcohol to rushing a fraternity freshman year and drinking more beer than an average man should in a life time.

I don't recommend this as i saw massive weight gains and it affected study habits haha. Backed down after that year, kept everything in moderation since. I still know alot of fraternity and other greek life that drink, as do I know non-greek that drink.

My best recommendation after seeing alcohol poisoning first hand, drink at your own pace. Drinking games are not smart, and have a backbone. People can see when you're vulnerable and you must assert yourself to be left alone yet still have a good time.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
EmisaurusRex Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Em

Re: Drinking in College - April 6th 2010, 04:46 AM

I know quite a few people in college that drink. At the campus I attended(i'm taking a break), Thursday night is "Thirsty Thursday"...and...well...you can tell. All sorts of parties and the places that serve alcohol usually have a lot of college kids in them before the parties start...
Personally, I haven't drank in college.
At times I find it easy, other times I find it hard. It really just varies.
Most of the people I hang around don't drink either, so...that helps.
I think I felt more pressured in high school than in college. You can really just find your "place" in college, or at least that's how I feel. Anyways...as far as missing out goes, sometimes I wonder what it's like and I want to go party and drink to my heart's content...but at the same time, I like to remember my "fun" times...I like to not worry about something happening (alcohol poisoning, jumping into a fire, doing something I normally wouldn't...etc etc.)
I've only drank once, and it wasn't at a party. It was with one friend. She made us both a margarita. But, that was it and I couldn't tell a difference...it was like I was drinking an illegal slushie(since I'm underage).
Anyways, I wrote more than I'd planned on...

Great works are performed not by strength, but by perseverance.
PM me anytime <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Emily. Offline
taste the sky
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Drinking in College - April 6th 2010, 05:36 AM

Hmm. well i can't say i have been drinking much this year, but i definitely had some times where I over did it my freshman year. It wasn't really that I was pressured into anything either, I wanted to go out and drink and have a good time. I was lucky enough to never have to deal with something like alcohol poisoning, etc. The worst thing i ran into was having to clean up after sick friends a few times. Which was obviously not fun =P

if i wanted to go out and not drink, i just volunteered to be DD and didn't have to worry about anyone pressuring me. i've found that people actually respect you not wanting to drink more in college.

"Sometimes it's a struggle to be not who you want to be, not who you used to be, not who you're going to be,
but just being right where you are, who you are"

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Drinking in College - April 6th 2010, 05:44 AM

I don't know the exact percentage of people who drink in my campus but I can bet that it’s 60% if not more.
I did have a story transitioning from high school of not drinking a drop of alcohol to college. When I graduated from high school in the USA and came to México were the drinking age is 18 I did feel like I was pressured into drinking by my friends. They did respect that fact that I didn’t drink for like what 2 months but after that they would constantly bug and bug until I gave in. I cannot say I do not enjoy having a beer every other weekend with my friends at a bar, but we do NOT drink to get drunk, we just get together and talk and drink socially.
I guess that is my story, I’m not against drinking but when you drink to get drunk and then want to get behind the wheel that’s a big no. Just drink modernity.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Drinking in College - April 6th 2010, 10:55 AM

I personally do not drink alcohol and I've always found it very easy. That said, I do sometimes go into the pub on campus, not to eat or drink their food or alcohol but rather because some friends are having lunch and possible a beer or two (although some of my friends can guzzle huge amounts and still not be a blundering drunk). I've also worked in restaurants where they had a bar attached and had no desire to chug away, just help cook and clean, and when late, help serve because the waiters/waitresses mostly left. A few times I've had to get a certain few friends to quit chugging back, such as we had a test in a few days, planned to study together and he's having trouble walking and slurring his words.

I've had plenty of encounters with drunks, sometimes when out at sporting events to restaurants and looking at them, I'm all for a good time but it doesn't seem to be a good time to me when that drunk.

If anything, I'll have at most 1 beer/glass of wine or some chocolate brandy candies (very little alcohol, mostly just the taste) with dinner during special events or in a restaurant. To me, that's enough for a good time, I'm not terribly intoxicated but if I designate myself to be the sober one as always, then I stay sober.

I'd say probably 80-90% of students drink but by that I don't mean they all get drunk, just that they touch the stuff.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Yen Offline
Resident Leprechaun
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ian

Re: Drinking in College - April 6th 2010, 12:57 PM

I don't drink. I feel it's a waste of time. I see stupid people do stupid things with other stupid people and it makes me laugh at how pathetic it all is.

I used to get a little pressure. The one time it got bad was when I was at a party and a very drunk kid was pressuring me to drink all night. Every one there knew I didn't want to, including this kid. He kept getting in my face and I told him that if he didn't get out of it in 3 seconds, I'd knock him out. He got 3 inches from my face, so I knocked him out. Simple as that. I mean what I say . That was a couple of years ago though. I live with other people who don't party now so life's good! No feelings of missing out.

"Why isn't bull-riding (Beef NASCAR as I call it) the American sport to end all sports? It's an epic battle of the wills between a man and an angry cheeseburger; and if that doesn't typify our awesome civilization, I don't know what does."

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: Drinking in College - April 6th 2010, 01:01 PM

Overall, I'd say it's at about half but it also depends on what campus you're on and who you're with. The "college drinking" lifestyle on my campus is nothing short of ridiculous. so I've just stayed away from it.

I don't feel pressured or like I'm missing out, I've gone to parties and had a soda and had a better time than people drinking. They didn't remember a think and were worried about what they did, while I wasn't. It also isn't hard, if you feel that pressured, to make it "look" like you're drinking.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Drinking in College - April 6th 2010, 02:26 PM

You would struggle to make friends without drinking anything at all here... you don't have to drink loads, know your limits and you'll be fine. Probably a bit different because drinking is legal here from 18, so all freshers activities are based around alcohol. If you didn't want to go to clubs and what not you'd find it very hard... but by the time you're 18 you should know your limits alcohol wise anyway so there shouldn't be a problem.

Everyone seems to think that you either drink and do stupid things, or don't drink. NO. It's about knowing your limits, there is no reason why you can't have two/three drinks and still be in complete control of your actions, not do stupid things, not worry about what you did the night before and not have any memory loss... all those things are signs of people who do not know their limits or cannot handle their alcohol!

In the UK at least, if you did not drink at all you would miss out on a lot. Most social activities revolve around drink.

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Drinking in College - April 6th 2010, 02:51 PM

Ok this being Ireland probably has something to do with it...but I can think of one...maybe two people out of all of my peers in college who DON'T drink.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Drinking in College - April 6th 2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
Ok this being Ireland probably has something to do with it...but I can think of one...maybe two people out of all of my peers in college who DON'T drink.
lol

The only people I know who don't drink follow Islam/other religions that forbid alcohol.

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Moyshi Offline
i am jack's smirking revenge
I've been here a while

Re: Drinking in College - April 6th 2010, 04:17 PM

I'm in my first year of college right now and I don't drink. Almost all of my friends and classmates do drink. My friends who have moved into uni/college residences tend to drink ALOT more often then those who live at home.

I do still go to house/res parties and have a good time without drinking. I do get pressure to drink from the people there, but I've never let it affect my decision to not drink. If you decide not to drink at a party, and you don't want pressure put on you, bring a water bottle, soda, etc. so that you have something to drink instead. People don't usually bother you when you already have a drink with you.

Drinking moderately and knowing your limits is fine. Unfortunately, alot people tend to go overboard with drinking in their first year, and i've seen others cave under peer pressure and drink too much. I'm fine with my decision not to drink and it doesn't stop me from having a good time. :]

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: Drinking in College - April 7th 2010, 01:50 AM

Thanks to everyone who has responded thus far =]

Er, this is going to be so dumb buttttt... what's the best way to find your 'limits'? Is it possible to do WITHOUT drinking (based on gender/age/weight)?

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Emily. Offline
taste the sky
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Drinking in College - April 7th 2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Er, this is going to be so dumb buttttt... what's the best way to find your 'limits'? Is it possible to do WITHOUT drinking (based on gender/age/weight)?

The average person's liver can processes one drink per hour. It varies a bit , but that's a pretty good estimate. Weight and sex do play a role. Statistically men process alcohol faster than women of the same weight.

"Sometimes it's a struggle to be not who you want to be, not who you used to be, not who you're going to be,
but just being right where you are, who you are"

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: Drinking in College - April 7th 2010, 02:21 AM

I go to a Christian, private, 'dry' campus, and I voted 70-80%. It kind of ... well, I've found that there aren't many people who are opposed to it, really. I'm not saying that all of those 70-80% of people drink on a regular basis, but I'd guess that occasionally, they do...

I don't drink on a regular basis. When we make daiquiris though, or when one of the frats makes jello shots, though, I mean not going to lie at all, I occasionally will have a little something-something. I, too, though, know my limitations (and know that they're pretty serious--alcohol affects me pretty easily ). With that said, I was vehemently opposed to drinking in high school. I don't know what happened, but college is kind of just a different lifestyle, I find.. Hmm.

But to answer your question, no, I don't really feel pressured when I don't drink. People-watching in a room full of drunk people (or on the strip at PCB..oh my word) is absolutely hilarious..

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
HisPrincess Offline
Associate Live Help Operator
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Angelica

Re: Drinking in College - April 7th 2010, 02:48 AM

Lots im sure.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Drinking in College - April 19th 2010, 04:45 PM

I voted 70-80%, maybe slightly lower in terms of people who drink on a regular basis. I started drinking at 17, drank 1 or 2 times a week my senior year of high school, and eventually ended up drinking 4-5 times a week, 30+ drinks a week my freshman year. It definitely takes a toll after a while, and I think drinking was both a consequence of and contributing factor to my depression.

Amy -- there are a few online calculators that compute BAC based on gender, height, weight, etc. The one that comes to mind is rupissed.com

Bear in mind, they're probably not that accurate, but usually a BAC of .08-.12 is where most people feel the benefits of drinking without the nausea, vomiting, dehydration, massive hangover, etc. For me (6' [Edited]) that's about 4 drinks over an hour. Guys always lie about how much they drink, my hallmate last year claimed to have downed a handle of vodka in one night, which is something like 50 shots -- that's just NOT possible. The most I've ever had was 15 drinks over two or three hours, and it was a very unpleasant experience. The highest BAC I've ever seen is .26, the kid was completely blackout, borderline alcohol poisoning.

I've never taken anyone to the hospital, but I've seriously considered it twice. One of my friends was unconscious and couldn't stop throwing up, at which point it's really a judgment call (of course, my judgment was kinda...impaired at that point). American drinking culture is completely fucked up. Our drinking age encourages stupid decisions like the one I just described, drunk driving, purchasing hard liquor (easier to hide), and lack of education about the REAL risks of drinking (not "risks" like getting an MIP)

Last edited by eunoia; April 20th 2010 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Please do not post weight figures anywhere on TeenHelp.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Drinking in College - April 19th 2010, 05:33 PM

I went with 80-90%. I guessed that because of all the lovely Facebook stories I get to read all the time.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Apollo Offline
LiveStrong™
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Apollo

Re: Drinking in College - April 19th 2010, 07:43 PM

Maybe about 50-70%. Not a huge amount, but fair.

Always feel free to contact me.
<3 |.YOU ARE LOVED.| <3

.TOMORROW IS A NEW DAY.

You may think the world is better off without you...
The truth:
The world isn't
good enough without you.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Drinking in College - April 19th 2010, 10:02 PM

BTW, if it weren't for red wine, I'd be sXe. Beer and liquor = gross

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: Drinking in College - April 19th 2010, 10:05 PM

Probably 80-90% plus.
We're scottish, we're known for our drinking
Not everyone drinks to get drunk of course, but even those who come to uni with no intention of drinking will drink. All our nights tend to centre around it. Sounds kinda lame when I write that though.....

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Drinking in College - April 19th 2010, 11:37 PM

Probably 50-70% here at least.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Drinking in College - April 19th 2010, 11:49 PM

Though I don't attend a university yet I still know that most people drink there, from what I hear it's more like 98% plus D=
That being said I know some people who don't drink alcohol, but then they're weird D= (not because they don't drink alcohol)

And this thread sounds like it's going to make people from the UK and Ireland look like a bunch of alcoholics D= And it's not entirely true! even if a British pint is like 100ml more than an American pint D=

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Trickmatic Offline
-
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Drinking in College - April 20th 2010, 02:19 AM

I'd say 70 to 80 percent. Most people around here will respect anyone's choice not to drink alcohol.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Special Circumstance
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lizzie Jane

April 20th 2010, 02:07 PM

here, we encourage people to drink, its bad. Uni night in "town". cheap drinks and happy hours, partying til 3am every wed. thursday night is retro night which is also cheaps. fri, sat and sun are nights that are fun. i guess mon and tues are the only nights the clubs arent open.

oh and uni bar is always packed from the moment it opens

The Dearly Departed Tragedy

Last edited by Gaia; April 20th 2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: merging double post.
  Send a message via MSN to bleedingimmortal  
Closed Thread