TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jayme

hooka - June 4th 2011, 01:29 AM

so i have come to realize that alot of my class mates keep talking about doing hooka. and i have noticed alot of hooka clubs (is that what its called?) around town lately. So im just wondering what that is? and im guessing its not illegal if they have businesses where u go and do it rite? Is it like cigarets? do u get addicted? i guess i just need to be briefed on the info cuz im pretty sure im gonna get invited soon and im not sure if its something id consider doing. Thanks

"One day at a time, this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering." -Ida Scott Taylor

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BethanyAnn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Bethany

Re: hooka - June 4th 2011, 02:01 AM

I have no idea google it I'm sure google has slang stuff

"Have no fear for giving in, Have no fear for giving over
You'd better know that in the end, Its better to say too much, Than never to say what you need to say again" - John Mayer

Send a message via Yahoo to BethanyAnn Send a message via Skype™ to BethanyAnn 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: hooka - June 4th 2011, 03:27 PM

Hey Jayme,
Hooka has become very popular the last couple of years. It isn't illegal, and all it is is a flavored tobacco, one of the substances in cigarettes. It's put into a bong like structure (in which you smoke weed from) with a couple of long tubes you smoke out of.
I've never tried hooka, but I have had friends who have done it, and they all have mixed reactions. But, more than a few have actually gotten sick from the tobacco.
It all depends on the person, but you can find out more information on hooka and hooka places online.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
brokensmilexx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sara

Re: hooka - June 4th 2011, 06:45 PM

I've never been to a hookah bar (thats what its called, or at least around here) but I've done one and I've smoked it out of a pipe too.
I like it, I think its relaxing and the taste is amazing..depending on what kind of flavored tobacco you have.
Its not illegal if your 18 or older I'm pretty sure.. although the places where you can smoke it usually don't care if your younger.
You don't inhale the smoke like you would a cigarette, you just let it linger in your mouth and then blow it out. And you can't get addicted, and if you can its probably a small chance.
Hopefully this helped (:

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

"Live your life and risk it all
take some chances, take the fall
take your time, no need to hurry
have some fun, and never worry ♥"

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ngikhona Offline
Inkululeko.
I've been here a while

Name: Keeley Siobhan

Re: hooka - June 6th 2011, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensmilexx View Post
I've never been to a hookah bar (thats what its called, or at least around here) but I've done one and I've smoked it out of a pipe too.
I like it, I think its relaxing and the taste is amazing..depending on what kind of flavored tobacco you have.
Its not illegal if your 18 or older I'm pretty sure.. although the places where you can smoke it usually don't care if your younger.
You don't inhale the smoke like you would a cigarette, you just let it linger in your mouth and then blow it out. And you can't get addicted, and if you can its probably a small chance.
Hopefully this helped (:
If you're going to smoke it, you should at least know something about it. You can get addicted because it's tobacco, just like in cigarettes, which gives you nicotine, which leads to dependence. There is an extremely high chance of getting addicted, just as with cigarettes.

Here's a little response to a question, answered by a doctor on a very reputable site.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hookah/AN01265

In short, hookah smoking can actually be more dangerous than cigarette smoking, but they're pretty much on the same level as far as toxicity and risks for addiction go. It may be a more pleasurable way to die as compared to straight up cigarette smoking, considering the flavor.

"Love me for me, accept the fact I'm true, live like I want, fufill my dreams,
Dream of me, run out free, capture your words and never let them go."

I'll see you on the other side.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
brokensmilexx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sara

Re: hooka - June 6th 2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthetic View Post

If you're going to smoke it, you should at least know something about it. You can get addicted because it's tobacco, just like in cigarettes, which gives you nicotine, which leads to dependence. There is an extremely high chance of getting addicted, just as with cigarettes.
My bad, in my opinion I don't think I would be able to get addicted to it.. I just think its enjoyable. But I guess some people could
Guess I didn't know the facts lol ;p

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

"Live your life and risk it all
take some chances, take the fall
take your time, no need to hurry
have some fun, and never worry ♥"

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Neon Offline
<3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: hooka - June 7th 2011, 03:43 AM

I hate tobacco and get sick even from the smell of cigarettes, but I found it from a hookah very relaxing. My cousin loved it so much she bought one of her own.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jayme

Re: hooka - June 7th 2011, 04:33 AM

oh wow... i probably wont try it then. thanks for the info

"One day at a time, this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering." -Ida Scott Taylor

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: hooka - June 8th 2011, 03:44 AM

Hookah is just flavored tobacco smoked through a water pipe, which makes the smoke less harsh and allows you to smoke a shitload at a time. It usually tastes like Christmas and is pretty relaxing, which is why it's so popular. Health risks are pretty much the same as smoking cigs/cigars, I'd guess a Hookah session is like smoking a couple stogies or a pack of cigs. I've never heard of anyone being addicted to it, my friends and I do it about once a month. Smoking too much generally just leaves you lightheaded and nauseous for an hour or two.

I'm not going to recommend you try it, but it shouldn't cause any harm if you're so inclined.

~Ghost

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Adrian Offline
Lali's my Favorite, Forever
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Adrian

Re: hooka - June 8th 2011, 04:08 AM

Hookah is really popular here. its usually hookah cafe's or lounges its not a big deal really the most itll do is get you a little light headed but other than that its fine. my favorite flavor is the double apple if your going to try it get that flavor. never make the mistake of getting black licorice-that shits nasty -_-
its not even like tobacco to me its really just flavored smoke or steam really, you should try it atleast once
  Send a message via AIM to Adrian  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
messed_up Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: hooka - June 8th 2011, 06:58 PM

Hooka is really popular in my area. Some people do get addicted to it. There are a lot of Hooka bars and you're supposed to be 18 to get in but they really don't care. Some of the people I know who have done it hate it but a lot of people find it relaxing. It depends on the person

(#12 (permalink)) Old
U s e r n a m e Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Smile Re: hooka - June 15th 2011, 12:48 AM

Many people in this thread are confusing Hookah and Shisha. Hookah is the water pipe which is used to smoke shisha out of. It does not resemble a bong and should not be confused with drug paraphernalia. Shisha is 100% legal and falls under the same regulation as tobacco. Shisha, the substance in question is a mix of tobacco and flavored molasses or honey. While many people only take the smoke into their mouth, the proper way to smoke shisha is like a cigarette or marijuana, which involves inhaling the smoke into your lungs. While it is not necessary, the taste is more prevalent when taken into your lungs, due to the larger volume of smoke. You need not worry about becoming sick if you are familiar with tobacco, and the dizziness is not an effect of shisha itself but from the nicotine your body is intaking. Yes shisha is addictive. No it is not as addictive as cigarettes, because there is no added nicotine, only naturally occurring nicotine.
Most hookah lounges do I.D., although in trendier areas it's quite easy to find one which does not. I would not recommend you either way. I enjoy it quite frequently, but many people do not.

If you have any further questions I would be happy to help.

Closed Thread