TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Sleep Walking - July 25th 2011, 08:00 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I know the title should mean it's somewhere else, but, I swear, it deals with substances.

So, lately, I've been noticing that when I drink a heavy amount of alcohol that I tend to sleep walk. Let me explain: I turned 21 on June 7th, and went out with my boyfriend and friends. I got home safely, was put into my own bed, but somehow walked into my grandma's room and fell asleep on her bed. This was the first incident. I don't remember any of it. I don't remember waking up, but my boyfriend found me and brought me back into my own room.

The second incident was after going out with friends. I went to bed again in my own room and bed fully clothed. Somehow, when I woke up the next morning, I was completely nude. My shirt was next to me on the floor, my shorts were in the bathroom down the hall. It's strange since I also have no recollection of this.

The last incident I'm aware of happened early this morning. My boyfriend and I had some friends over last night, and we got into an argument. We pretty much solved it but was told to go to sleep and talk about the issues in the morning when we were both sober. We did this. We slept in the same bed, but I woke up around 5 o'clock this morning, on the couch in his living room in the spot that is usually occupied by his dog. No recollection of this either. His mom said I was there when she woke up, and had turned on the computer, the lights and the TV and I still didn't budge.

I'm worried. I don't necessarily see it as a problem right now, but it is a little unnerving. I'm afraid that I might end up hurting someone else or myself in these processes. Is there anything I can do (other than to give up alcohol since that would be the obvious) to ensure this doesn't happen? If you can't point me in the right direction, it's okay. Get a little laugh out of the story, if you will . I just don't want this to turn into a problem.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Sleep Walking - July 26th 2011, 03:54 AM

At first, I would right off blame the drugs, because it is proven that drugs in your system cause sleep walking. However, you did this sober as well. I sleep walk on occasion as well, and usually do it under the influence of sleeping pills, heavy dose allergy medicine, or alcohol. Are you taking other drugs?
Other things that can cause sleep walking is lack of sleep, the presence of other mental disorders that hurt your sleep cycle like insomnia, but can even include anxiety or depression, and sleep walking also runs in families.
Usually, you can't get hurt sleep walking, but I slept walked once and stuck my foot through a fan and got plastic stuck in it. xD So be careful.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"

Last edited by Coffee.; July 26th 2011 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Spelling
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
nurpshag Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Sleep Walking - July 26th 2011, 05:42 PM

Some people are more susceptible to sleep walking than others. I sleep walk all the time. I usually go to bed in my boxers and then I'll wake up the next morning full clothed. Another occasion I woke up with shinguards, football boots, socks, athletic shorts and my team's jersey on. Certainly confused the hell out of my mum when she came in to wake me up.

Now I'm worried about what I do when I drunk sleep walk.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Sleep Walking - July 26th 2011, 09:34 PM

@Traci: I've never done this sober. I've only done it under the influence of alcohol. I know this because my boyfriend and I sleep in the same bed, and he would know if I got up. The bed is very loud, so when one of us gets in or out of bed, the other wakes up from the movement and the noise. When he's under the influence of alcohol, you can't wake him for anything which is why he hasn't noticed me getting out of bed when I've been drinking. Either that, or I'm a ninja . I don't do any other drugs, I'm against them. Alcohol is the only 'drug' I use but for recreational purposes only. It's strange. I'm not depressed or anxious, but my sister does sleep walk, but she hasn't been doing it often. She doesn't live with me anymore, so I'm not sure if she does or not, but she hasn't mentioned anything to me so I don't think she does anymore.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Sleep Walking - July 26th 2011, 09:45 PM

Okay, I was confused by something you said, I thought you said it happened sober as well. I would blame the alcohol. It does run in families, but if you have only done with under the influence, I'm pretty sure it's the alcohol.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Madeleine Claire

Re: Sleep Walking - July 28th 2011, 02:42 AM

If it's just the alcohol then I would say don't go to bed until you're more sober, if it does scare you so much. Just avoid situations where you'll be getting wasted at night, or start cutting back a few more hours before bed. It doesn't sound like anything dangerous right now, but I sometimes sleep walk when I have awful anxiety and I've done some pretty weird stuff.. I just want you to be safe!
<3

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Sleep Walking - July 28th 2011, 03:33 AM

While there are cases of violent or even homicidal somnambulism, it's uncommon to get to that extreme. Alcohol can increase the likelihood of sleep-walking and because you said this only happens after you've taken alcohol, it's likely alcohol-induced somnambulism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee❤ View Post
At first, I would right off blame the drugs, because it is proven that drugs in your system cause sleep walking.
I'd like to see some evidence to support this claim, especially after such papers as the one below says, "[t]here is no direct experimental evidence that alcohol predisposes or triggers sleepwalking or related disorders".

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17542950

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Sleep Walking - July 31st 2011, 02:18 AM

Blame the alcohol and nothing else. If it doesn't happen while you are sober than it has no other connection to anything else but the alcohol.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Sleep Walking - August 3rd 2011, 01:34 AM

I have friends who do this, it really isn't that uncommon. A friend who was staying with me and my family, I brought her back and she was drunk, and she tried to pull our television out from the wall while she was half-naked then went leaping down the hall way.

I think if you're not willing to give up alcohol, your best option would be to make sure when you drink someone is watching you, or theres nothing you can hurt yourself with. Perhaps get a lock for the door and put it somewhere you won't get when sleep walking so you're stuck in one room? Then safe-proof that room?

Have you tried Googling it? I've heard it happen so much, and I've done it myself, not every time I drink, but occasionally. Thankfully someone with my friends or family usually finds me and puts me back to bed.

Make sure those around you know to not just wake you up if you are sleep walking because you can go into shock. Not to mention get scared and hurt someone or yourself. It's best they watch you, and perhaps quietly and nicely try to steer you back to bed.

Best of luck!
Maria.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

Closed Thread