TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Stargazed.'s Avatar
 

Posts: 3,532
Join Date: October 3rd 2010

marijuana. - July 28th 2011, 09:52 PM

my boyfriend smokes marijuana to "relieve stress and boredum"... i think that's absurd. but w/e. he is very unaware about the health risks and seems to think it's not addictive... is it? what can i do to warn him how bad weed is for him? i'm not gonna force him to stop but i want to tell him general knowledge about it so he can make the decision to stop..
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran
*************
 
Eternal's Avatar
 
Name: Nicole
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: PDX

Posts: 12,425
Join Date: October 14th 2010

Re: marijuana. - July 29th 2011, 03:39 AM

You can not get addicted to weed, but inhaling smoke is never a good thing.

Short-term effects
Quote:
  • Distortedperception (sights, sounds, time, touch)
  • Problems with memory and learning.
  • Loss of coordination
  • Trouble with thinking and problem-solving.
  • Increased heart rate, reduced blood pressure
Sometimes marijuana use can also produce anxiety, fear, distrust, or panic.
Long-term effects
Quote:
The active ingredient in marijuana, delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol or THC, acts on cannabinoid receptors on nerve cells and influences the activity of those cells. Some brain areas have many cannabinoid receptors, but other areas of the brain have few or none at all. Many cannabinoid receptors are found in the parts of the brain that influence pleasure, memory, thought, concentration, sensory and time perception, and coordinated movement. When high doses of marijuana are used, usually when eaten in food rather than smoked, users can experience the following symptoms:
  • Hallucinations
  • Delusions
  • Impaired memory
  • Disorientation
I found this info here: http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/effects.-Lya.htm


And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
SomebodyYouDon'tKnow's Avatar
 

Posts: 78
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: September 2nd 2010

Re: marijuana. - July 29th 2011, 04:45 AM

Like Melody said, you can't get physically addicted to weed. You can develop a habit, but that's technically not an addiction. Maybe you guys should do some research together so you know the exact effects.

You seem to have a pretty negative view on weed; while it's not beneficial to smoke anything, there is very little proof out there that weed is harmful other than the smoking component. And, quite frankly, it's way better for you than drinking or cigarettes or any other sorts of drugs.

The only parts I would be concerned about are how often he smokes and the reason. If he smokes every day then that's a good reason to be concerned. He also says it's to "relax", which is concerning. If he's depending on weed to relax, then that's a red flag; he needs to figure out how to cope with stress before he's tempted to turn to harder things just for relaxation. If it's just to have fun once in a while, then I wouldn't worry if I were you.
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Stargazed.'s Avatar
 

Posts: 3,532
Join Date: October 3rd 2010

Re: marijuana. - July 29th 2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody View Post
Thanks so much. I'm taking a psychology class and I looked in the book & it says it's not physically addicting but it can make you psychological addicted if you honestly believe it takes away stress.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyYouDon'tKnow View Post
The only parts I would be concerned about are how often he smokes and the reason. If he smokes every day then that's a good reason to be concerned. He also says it's to "relax", which is concerning. If he's depending on weed to relax, then that's a red flag; he needs to figure out how to cope with stress before he's tempted to turn to harder things just for relaxation. If it's just to have fun once in a while, then I wouldn't worry if I were you.
I understand weed is a lot less dangerous than alcohol, cocaine, etc. BUT he does say he smokes to relieve "everyday stress". He feels like it's his best friend or something. I am trying to teach him other coping mechanisms before he turns to harder drugs to deal with stress. However, if he did smoke weed ONCE in a while to have fun.. then I wouldn't worry. But to relieve stress, like you said, is a red flag.

Thank you both for your help.
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: marijuana. - July 30th 2011, 09:23 AM

It is not entirely correct to say weed is never physically addicting. For many years it was thought to be only a psychological addiction, which is why you often hear people say that, however, recent research suggests there is a physical addiction although it's not always present in all users. A common argument for there being a physical addiction is the sign of withdrawal and tolerance, which are central to physical addictions.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...06460308002761

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...5539590600185X

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1626354/ (FULL ARTICLE)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21334423 (mentions how dopamine and opioid addiction systems are involved in marijuana addiction and these are known to be physically addictive)

Despite these sources, the physical addiction doesn't present as powerfully as other drug addictions, such as cocaine addictions, which in part makes the physical addictions of marijuana somewhat fall in a grey zone between psychologically addictive and physically addictive.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Stargazed.'s Avatar
 

Posts: 3,532
Join Date: October 3rd 2010

Re: marijuana. - August 1st 2011, 12:43 AM

Thank you for your help.
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while
********
 
Ryan1's Avatar
 
Name: Ryan
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Canada, Ontario

Posts: 1,518
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: January 1st 2010

Re: marijuana. - August 1st 2011, 03:05 PM

Recently I went to the doctors with my older brother who smokes marijuana. He asked the doctor about the drug and its side affects and she told him that it can be addicting in the sense that its habit forming. A wide range of drug users take it upon themselves to relieve stress by taking these drugs. Seeing a doctor about this might actually be a good idea. Trying to pin point why he’s taking the drug will especially help him to quit.
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Proud90sKid's Avatar
 
Name: .
Gender: Male
Location: US

Posts: 303
Join Date: July 6th 2011

Re: marijuana. - August 1st 2011, 04:17 PM

you cant convince him to stop. its not that bad of a drug. i smoke weed, and i am still a nerd, it hasnt reduced my intelligence. the only problem is that he is smoking the weed , if it was weed brownies or pot butter , it wouldnt be bad at all, so long as he isnt doing it when he has homework to do
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while
********
 
Ryan1's Avatar
 
Name: Ryan
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Canada, Ontario

Posts: 1,518
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: January 1st 2010

Re: marijuana. - August 1st 2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david2357 View Post
you cant convince him to stop. its not that bad of a drug. i smoke weed, and i am still a nerd, it hasnt reduced my intelligence. the only problem is that he is smoking the weed , if it was weed brownies or pot butter , it wouldnt be bad at all, so long as he isnt doing it when he has homework to do
Smoking weed is illegal but I have friends who do it daily. Itís a personal choice and whether he chooses to or not is entirely up to him. The action of smoking involves breathing in carcinogens, that doesnít help the lungs. Iíve heard of people that have stress issues that use marijuana to cope. It can also be bandage to cover up a bigger problem. Talking to your doctor or pharmacist about this drug will give some insight on the correct facts.
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Gidig's Avatar
 
Name: Maria
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Colorado

Posts: 2,123
Blog Entries: 390
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: marijuana. - August 3rd 2011, 01:20 AM

Hey-

You can get addicted to ANYTHING. You can get addicted to... having a soda every morning and start going through mental withdrawals if you don't have it. While there's back and forth evidence saying you can't get addicted to weed at all, it's not true. Mentally you can get addicted to anything, regardless if physically it's addicting.

Honestly, I smoke a lot. And between everything else I could be doing, this is the best for my body. It's not good for you, but it's not going to instantly kill you. I'm not trying to advocate for it, and smoking anything is always bad, and does have negative health risks, but look up the health risks for yourself! From pro and anti marijuana sources because you can get multiple different answers, so find the facts.

I'd work on having a conversation with him about your concerns. Like, a big deal conversation that you both sit down and have no distractions and really talk it out. He's not going to just suddenly up and quit, but it's good you understand you can't force him. But then in the end, you have to decide if you'll be happy staying with someone who smokes, or will it consume your life?



The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: marijuana. - August 5th 2011, 06:28 AM


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidig View Post
From pro and anti marijuana sources because you can get multiple different answers, so find the facts.
I disagree, don't use pro and anti-marijuana sites/sources. Many of them hash up the studies they refer to, so instead, look up the actual studies because the researchers don't give a personal view, they simply analyze the data scientifically. A problem with this is if you don't have access to databases, you'll only be able to read the abstracts, unless you find the occasional study that is posted online in its entirety. Academic books can also be of much use, both e-books and hard-copy books. Keep in mind though, depending on the book and study you read, the content may be well over your head. Ideally, try to find a mix of review and experiment studies.





I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough
*********
 
Sincerely Yours ♥'s Avatar
 

Posts: 3,042
Blog Entries: 26
Join Date: July 4th 2010

Re: marijuana. - August 8th 2011, 04:34 AM

Just make sure he doesn't get addicted. I only smoke once in a while, which thankfully hasn't changed & I don't care to smoke more than that or by myself. It's only at parties & stuff. But I know my boyfriend has been doing it for a couple of years & he's addicted. We've had multiple arguments over it & thankfully, I've gotten him to the point where it's a couple times a week. It's still a lot in my opinion, but it's better than the every day, every couple hours that he was smoking. It hurts me to see him smoke so much & we're at the point where if he starts smoking that much again, I'm done. It's a lot of strain on a relationship, so don't let it get to that point.
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
RforPirate Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
RforPirate's Avatar
 
Age: 28

Posts: 10
Join Date: August 13th 2011

Re: marijuana. - August 13th 2011, 04:35 AM

Marijuana not addictive, I vaporize it (smoke can be harmful to the lungs) for medical reasons. It helps me sleep and cured my depression. Almost died from anti-depressants so I switched to weed. I've also quit drinking because I was an alcoholic.

I'm a very pro-marijuana person. It doesn't kill brain cells, it doesn't cause permanent brain damage.

I use it also as a very creative herb, I do all my photography while under the influence, I paint, draw, produce music etc
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: marijuana. - August 13th 2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RforPirate View Post
I'm a very pro-marijuana person. It doesn't kill brain cells, it doesn't cause permanent brain damage.
I've posted various links to studies and the ones with *** beside them can be fully read (i.e. not just abstracts).

I will concede that permanent damage isn't known to occur because there hasn't been such long-lasting longitudinal studies. However, long-term damage has been shown, especially on executive functions:

http://scholar.google.ca/scholar?q=%...N&hl=en&tab=ws

http://journals.lww.com/journaladdic..._Use_on.2.aspx

There is also structural damage to neurons in particular areas that can be long-term:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...5381190800219X

Cannabis can be an agent causing neuroprotection and neurogenesis in neurodegenerative diseases:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...10.00735.x/pdf ***

To my recent surprise, the THC in cannabis can prevent neurotoxicity in mice given ecstasy:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:...l.pone.0009143 ***


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Ashleylovesyou Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Ashleylovesyou's Avatar
 
Name: ashley
Gender: Female
Location: upper michigan, USA

Posts: 284
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: September 13th 2009

Re: marijuana. - August 13th 2011, 07:33 AM

You cannot get addicted to marijuana. If it is pure, some people put other drugs it so when they sell it buyers become addicted and want more of that sellers marijuana. The high can become addicting just like any other behavioral addiction. So he can get addicted to smoking marijuana, just not to marijuana itself, it would be from the high.
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: marijuana. - August 13th 2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyhateslife View Post
You cannot get addicted to marijuana.
Depends how you define "addiction". Chronic users who take large frequent doses can get addicted to it. For reference, see my first post in this thread as it has 4 scientific articles supporting what I said.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Ashleylovesyou Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Ashleylovesyou's Avatar
 
Name: ashley
Gender: Female
Location: upper michigan, USA

Posts: 284
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: September 13th 2009

Re: marijuana. - August 13th 2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
Depends how you define "addiction". Chronic users who take large frequent doses can get addicted to it. For reference, see my first post in this thread as it has 4 scientific articles supporting what I said.
Although you have "scientific back up" yours is not always true. My answer was given with my own knowledge and experience.

When I was dating my ex two years ago I smoked weed once or twice everyday with him. The one day that year that I didn't smoke was on Christmas. That's a lot of weed, once I stopped I wasn't addicted. I wanted the high it gave me, I could careless if it was marijuana or not. I too took a psychology class, and an anatomy class, we were taught in these classes that you cannot get physically addicted. Only addicted to the high it gives you. If I really wanted to I'm sure I could find websites that "scietifically back up" my answer, and many other's answers. This is a debatable topic.
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Stargazed.'s Avatar
 

Posts: 3,532
Join Date: October 3rd 2010

Re: marijuana. - August 13th 2011, 02:46 PM

I have my answer. Thank you.

Please close this thread.
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: marijuana. - August 13th 2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyhateslife View Post
Although you have "scientific back up" yours is not always true. My answer was given with my own knowledge and experience.

When I was dating my ex two years ago I smoked weed once or twice everyday with him. The one day that year that I didn't smoke was on Christmas. That's a lot of weed, once I stopped I wasn't addicted. I wanted the high it gave me, I could careless if it was marijuana or not. I too took a psychology class, and an anatomy class, we were taught in these classes that you cannot get physically addicted. Only addicted to the high it gives you. If I really wanted to I'm sure I could find websites that "scietifically back up" my answer, and many other's answers. This is a debatable topic.
Although it is a debatable topic, the fact you dismissed the scientific evidence as "not always true" begs the question, if this were made in the debate thread, would you give the same response? Then again, would that not make your scientific evidence "not always true" either?

I'd also like to remind you that you're a high-school student, I'm not. I'm finishing up my Bachelor's (HBSc and HBA) and have access to viewing research articles through databases. You have the edge in personal experience, I'll give you that but I have more scientific and academic knowledge. In debates, personal experience has to be supported by verifiable sources.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Ashleylovesyou Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Ashleylovesyou's Avatar
 
Name: ashley
Gender: Female
Location: upper michigan, USA

Posts: 284
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: September 13th 2009

Re: marijuana. - August 14th 2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
Although it is a debatable topic, the fact you dismissed the scientific evidence as "not always true" begs the question, if this were made in the debate thread, would you give the same response? Then again, would that not make your scientific evidence "not always true" either?

I'd also like to remind you that you're a high-school student, I'm not. I'm finishing up my Bachelor's (HBSc and HBA) and have access to viewing research articles through databases. You have the edge in personal experience, I'll give you that but I have more scientific and academic knowledge. In debates, personal experience has to be supported by verifiable sources.

Yes, that would make mine not always true. I was just trying to help. I honestly don't care what you do. The fact that you would tell me that you are smarter and better then me is hurtful. She said she had her answer and yet you still continued to debate. It is alright if YOU are wrong sometimes, you know that right? I have the opposite problem as you, I always feel wrong, and guilty. You are just adding up MY problems by being rude. Therefore, I am through talking to you.

Brittany; I am so sorry this has turned into what it is. I feel bad. I will not comment on this anymore after this. Once again I am sorry.
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: marijuana. - August 14th 2011, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyhateslife View Post
Yes, that would make mine not always true. I was just trying to help. I honestly don't care what you do. The fact that you would tell me that you are smarter and better then me is hurtful. She said she had her answer and yet you still continued to debate. It is alright if YOU are wrong sometimes, you know that right? I have the opposite problem as you, I always feel wrong, and guilty. You are just adding up MY problems by being rude. Therefore, I am through talking to you.

Brittany; I am so sorry this has turned into what it is. I feel bad. I will not comment on this anymore after this. Once again I am sorry.
I'm responding not because I care if you do, rather to address something incorrect you said. I am smarter than you in certain areas, it's expected since I'm in university and you're not. It's like a medical doctor saying they're smarter in their areas than you are, it's not meant to be offensive. It's stating the obvious truth.

At no point did I say or suggest I'm never wrong. That's why I like to debate, to challenge others and be challenged. If I thought I was correct all the time, I wouldn't debate because it'd be pointless.

On a last note, I don't see how it matters if she had her answer or not. Although it is her thread, I was responding to you, not to her. The thread is about marijuana, so personal hardships due to marijuana are relevant, otherwise they're irrelevant and you're doing the same as I am by derailing the thread.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Stargazed.'s Avatar
 

Posts: 3,532
Join Date: October 3rd 2010

Re: marijuana. - August 14th 2011, 03:19 AM

This can be closed now. PLEASE.
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
marijuana

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.