TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Tiffany

I want to live a straight edge lifestyle - July 29th 2011, 02:33 AM

one thing I really want to do is live a straight edge lifestyle, for those of you who don't know what straight edge is, its a lifestyle to live without using recreational drugs and accuming alcohol or smoke cigarettes.Some people who live this type of life don't drink caffiene,have premiscious sex,eat meat or drink/eat diary products.The only problem with what I really want to is that I smoke cigarettes on day to day bases but drink but i do it very rarely, so dropping the drinking all together would not be a problem, but cigarettes is the main issue. My fiance' smokes on a day to day bases but drinks rarely as well, but If I decide to try to stop doesn't mean that I will have any intentions to break off the relationship,because of the fact that I look at him as a good person and personality altogether. We were both smoking and drinking before we met each other. I've always hated recreational drugs and so does my fiance'. My fiance's choice to smoke(if I quit) wouldn't bother me, any advice?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: I want to live a straight edge lifestyle - July 29th 2011, 03:21 AM

Quitting smoking is mind over matter. If you put your mind to it, you can do it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: I want to live a straight edge lifestyle - July 29th 2011, 03:50 AM

The nicotine is what you're addicted to and then there's the behavioral (routine) part of it, which will probably be harder to break.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: I want to live a straight edge lifestyle - July 29th 2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U_Can't_See_Me View Post
one thing I really want to do is live a straight edge lifestyle, for those of you who don't know what straight edge is, its a lifestyle to live without using recreational drugs and accuming alcohol or smoke cigarettes.Some people who live this type of life don't drink caffiene,have premiscious sex,eat meat or drink/eat diary products.The only problem with what I really want to is that I smoke cigarettes on day to day bases but drink but i do it very rarely, so dropping the drinking all together would not be a problem, but cigarettes is the main issue. My fiance' smokes on a day to day bases but drinks rarely as well, but If I decide to try to stop doesn't mean that I will have any intentions to break off the relationship,because of the fact that I look at him as a good person and personality altogether. We were both smoking and drinking before we met each other. I've always hated recreational drugs and so does my fiance'. My fiance's choice to smoke(if I quit) wouldn't bother me, any advice?

To be honest, its pretty dumb. There is no point to it. Many people drink occassionally and dont use any rec drugs, and most of them dont take up the whole straight-edge label. Straight-edge, like all lifestyles, is a restriction. There is absolutely 0 reason to limit alcohol if you use only occassionally, and 0 reason to eliminate caffeine and meat. You would just be throwing some of the pleasures in life. Just be yourself, people who adapt their behavior to fit a lifestyle are NOT being themselves, they are restricting themselves un-necessarily. I think its insane to even halfway consider breaking up with a FIANCE over a stupid lifestyle.

here is what you are doing:
1. I want to quit smoking and i hate rec drugs
2. straight edge people hate rec drugs, so i must be straight edge
3. because im straight edge i must alter myself to completely fit the straight edge mold.
4. ill break up with my fiance cause he isnt completely straight edge

but this is irrational, because u dont need to conform to a stupid lifestyle. u would simply be conforming to what other straight edgers are like. straight edge is an extremist group, which is indicated by their clothing style ,etc. i recommend you reduce smoking, dont do any drugs, and just leave it like that, no need to identify with any lifestyle.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: I want to live a straight edge lifestyle - July 29th 2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david2357 View Post
To be honest, its pretty dumb. There is no point to it. Many people drink occassionally and dont use any rec drugs, and most of them dont take up the whole straight-edge label. Straight-edge, like all lifestyles, is a restriction. There is absolutely 0 reason to limit alcohol if you use only occassionally, and 0 reason to eliminate caffeine and meat. You would just be throwing some of the pleasures in life. Just be yourself, people who adapt their behavior to fit a lifestyle are NOT being themselves, they are restricting themselves un-necessarily. I think its insane to even halfway consider breaking up with a FIANCE over a stupid lifestyle.

3. because im straight edge i must alter myself to completely fit the straight edge mold.

but this is irrational, because u dont need to conform to a stupid lifestyle. u would simply be conforming to what other straight edgers are like. straight edge is an extremist group, which is indicated by their clothing style ,etc. i recommend you reduce smoking, dont do any drugs, and just leave it like that, no need to identify with any lifestyle.

I wasn't going to break up with him, and had no intentions on doing so....you need to go back and read it again.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Re: I want to live a straight edge lifestyle - July 30th 2011, 01:26 AM

To be perfectly honest Tiffany, there's nothing and no one stopping you from quitting smoking. I smoke cigarettes daily because I enjoy my lifestyle with the smoking included. Granted, it's a health problem and does make me feel like shit sometimes, but I enjoy it simply because it's part of my routine. Being addicted to nicotine is something you can satisfy out of routine. Nicotine patches, for instance.

It is mind over matter, just as one of the above posters suggested. You can quit if you really want to quit - and no one is going to stop you; your fiancé is not going to look at you poorly.

Because in the end, it doesn't even matter.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: I want to live a straight edge lifestyle - July 30th 2011, 02:06 AM

david2357: So what? It's a personal moral decision. Veganism for instance is not eating meat/eggs/milk or other animal products. That could be seen as "Stupid" if you are so arrogant as to decide that it is beneath you.

Many don't care about veganism or caffine or sexual stuff. To be honest I think most just care about illegal drugs and alcohol at least I do.

Also, smoking kills, so don't act like you're englightened. I mean there is nothing wrong with it, but don't start preaching about how it isn't harmful. And what's wrong with conforming? If I didn't conform I could be serial killer. I need to conform to societies stardards to be anything more than an outlaw. Anyhow, you are generalizing based on beliefs. It's like saying all Muslims are terrorists who wear turbans and kill people. It's bullshit. I for instance dress like a normal person. I wear jeans and T-shirts. I have glasses and always wear a different unique hat. I hardly see how this makes me an extremist or different than any other kid my age.

Also you overused the word "Stupid" just because you don't agree with it.

Tiffany: I'm glad you are thinking about stopping smoking because it's harmful and if I may say so, unattractive. I would look up gruesome pictures of cancer patients and lung cancer, large ones, not the little ones on the cigarette boxes every time you get a craving. It's like looking at slaughter house pictures before eating a big mac, it will turn you off the idea. If not use nicotine patches or replace smoking with a new healthy habit. Like eat three M&Ms every time you feel that you want to smoke.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: I want to live a straight edge lifestyle - July 30th 2011, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKmadu619 View Post
Tiffany: I'm glad you are thinking about stopping smoking because it's harmful and if I may say so, unattractive. I would look up gruesome pictures of cancer patients and lung cancer, large ones, not the little ones on the cigarette boxes every time you get a craving. It's like looking at slaughter house pictures before eating a big mac, it will turn you off the idea. If not use nicotine patches or replace smoking with a new healthy habit. Like eat three M&Ms every time you feel that you want to smoke.

- Justin
You don't seem to know much about smoking addictions. Looking at those pictures will most likely have no effect whatsoever. And eating 3 m&ms every time you get a craving is going to end up making you fat.

You don't need anything to quit smoking other than sheer willpower and MAYBE nicotine gum/patches. But people quit smoking every day without those aids. You just have to really want it.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: I want to live a straight edge lifestyle - July 30th 2011, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david2357 View Post

OP asked for advise on how to quit something they morally and personally want to. Please don't make accounts for the sole purpose of telling another user how "stupid" you think they are. It's all down to opinion, and you aren't always right. Like I said, OP asked for advise. Not your irrelevant opinions.

I personally think the Straight Edge lifestyle is awesome. It's not a "label." It's a moral code, much like me being a Satanist. Personally, I'm not too straight edge anymore, but I sort of want to be, you know? If only so I don't feel the need to depend on unhealthy habits, but only indulge in them when I have the choice to.

As for advise? I suppose just stick with it through time. Even when it's hard, no, especially when it's hard you need to remember why you want to go through with this. If you're having a hard time quitting smoking, then I'd try nicotine patches or something. The thing is though, that you might have a harder time quitting if your fiance smokes as well. Sometimes it all seems fine, until you're trying not to smoke and you're around someone who DOES smoke, you know?

I'd try talking to him, not to convince him not to smoke, but to ask him to at least not do it in front of you during the first week or so. That's the hardest time, but once you get through that, it'll all go downhill!

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: I want to live a straight edge lifestyle - July 30th 2011, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maloo View Post
You don't seem to know much about smoking addictions. Looking at those pictures will most likely have no effect whatsoever. And eating 3 m&ms every time you get a craving is going to end up making you fat.

You don't need anything to quit smoking other than sheer willpower and MAYBE nicotine gum/patches. But people quit smoking every day without those aids. You just have to really want it.
Well I haven't had a smoking addiction if that's what you are asking. However I have helped my godmother stop smoking, and those were two things (Along with patches and inhalers) that helped her stop smoking the smarties replaced her routine of smoking. Instead of a break for smokes she would go outside and have three smarties. She would use her pictures to remind her of why she wanted to quit, and her patches and inhalers are proven to help curve cravings. Replacing routine, strenghtening your resolve and using the nicotine products can really help. However when it comes down to it, you have to actually want to quit, because otherwise nothing will help.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#11 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: I want to live a straight edge lifestyle - July 30th 2011, 02:47 AM

Quote:

You might not NEED anything but sheer willpower, but sometimes other habits help. I don't think 2 or 3 M&Ms will kill you. It's healthier than smoking anyway. Even then, I do believe quitting 3 M&Ms is a lot easier than quitting smoking. Besides, it's the principle that counts. Sometimes an alternative really helps, that's what we tell people who SelfHarm here on TH, is it not?

If you are so afraid of becoming fat, you could always replace it with a healthier alternative. Like, going for a jog for example. Alternatives are awesome, and even if you want to be able to beat addiction with "sheer will power" even the best use alternatives and other sources to keep themselves from smoking. Sometimes it can be simple, a hobby for instance. Maybe one of those ideas on the giant alternatives list www.teenhelp.org/alternatives

I know quitting smoking is a lot different than self harm of some sort, but it's similar at least. They might help at least a little.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: I want to live a straight edge lifestyle - July 30th 2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:

i can eat anything I want and not get fat....I can eat all day if I wanted and not gain a pound. lol....

Closed Thread