TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Someone's Hero
Not a n00b

Spice and Voices ? - August 5th 2011, 03:38 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Ok...I've been smoking spice really heavily for the past few weeks...and ive noticed something weird now...since the second time i smoked it I been hearing things...like at first it was a random music clip and the little noise the ipod touch (idk bout other types) makes when u plug it in...like those noises would repeat over and over for a little...and then i'd hear footsteps and voices talking and yellimg at me from behind me and in the other rooms, but the house wuz dead silent and empty...and even when im sobering up i hear these voices now...hell right before i wrote this i heard a guy behind my bed packing boxes for a little...sounded so real...i dont get it...i only took three or four hits yesterday wit three friends n had to stop early cuz i had a real bad trip n freaked on my friend (which is weird cuz id been ok when i did much more) n tht wuz the last time i got high...n idfk how much the day before tht...but definitely a LOT...id been smokin all day...

but i never heard these things before the 2nd time i smoked spice...but now i do...and im being forced to quit cold turkey as of last nite...i dont wanna quit...i like it and im scared to...Never had this problem with alcohol or pot...so i dunno whats going on :/

"What if Tucker is contagious...I do not want to catch pregnancy!"

Last edited by The Devil's Advocate ??; August 5th 2011 at 04:01 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Spice and Voices ? - August 5th 2011, 05:29 AM

im not gonna tell you to quit, in fact i actually want to try spice. but anyways, the cannabinoids in spice are a bit different than THC. i dont know about the new spice, as nobody knows whats in that as they changed the recipe (the old one was banned), but in the old one, the cannabinoids were actually STRONGER than THC.

to understand this: in the brain there is a cannabinoid receptor called CB1. it is not either "on " or "off" , instead, it can be like a dimmer switch ,on and off and anything in between. when THC hits a CB1 receptor, it turns it on , but not all the way. smoking a ton of weed will cause a significant amount of CB1 receptors to be stimulated, however, they will all be stimulated only partially because THC stimulate a CB1 receptor fully. However, the old spice synthetic cannabinoids can stimulate the receptors fully, and if u smoke a lot of that , it can become much more powerful than weed. however, i have a feeling that it isnt as bad as it is made out too be, its gonna be strong stuff, but i think most of the hospitalizations result from people being scared and paranoid that the strong effects will kill them when they are in fact not in any danger.

to be honest: you should definetely lay off the spice, not for good. but really cut back. unless you were about to fall asleep, hearing hallucinations when you are sober is pretty bad. spice isnt tried and true like marijuana is , its a new drug, so it hasnt proven itself to be safe; and in this case it has proven itself to be unsafe for chronic use. its relatively safe to experiment with these substances, but chronic use isnt good.

if you were sobering up , but not completely sober when you hallucinated the man with the boxes, then its just the direct effect from the drug, and nothing to be too worried or surprised about (but then again, how could u still be a little bit high if it had already been 24 hours). but if you were 100 percent sober, and then hallucinated, thats a problem.

oh and if you are having a hard time coming off of it (i really doubt you have a true addiction, but withdrawals may still be possible ), i imagine the cure for that would be to just smoke pot.... marijuana would likely ease the withdrawal symptoms as it is also a cannibinoid, but its a weaker one .

most people hate spice anyways, at least the old spice. it gives them more paranoia than weed , but with stronger sensory distortions ; which is a bad mixture that causes people to have unpleasant experiences.

also , spice is simply a mixture of herbs that have had chemicals that stimulate cannabinoid receptors added. the cannabinoid receptor stimulation is what causes the high from both marijuana and spice. but unlike spice, marijuana has an indirect cannabinoid BLOCKER (cannabidiol ), which indirectly reduces the effect of stimulation of cannabinoid receptors. as well as a direct cannabinoid receptor activator (THC). The THC creates the high, but by itself would create unpleasant things like paranoia, panic attacks, etc. the cannabidiol reduces the unpleasant stuff by blocking some of the cannabinoid receptors, creating a more pleasant and relaxing balance.

this is why although weed makes you paranoid, its relatively light in paranoia and other negative feelings compared to Marinol (which is a a valid prescription medicine consisting of pure THC). many people dont like marinol and prefer marijuana instead. the unpleasant feeling people get from taking marinol are the same as the unpleasant effects of spice. which means that like marinol, spice doesnt have that perfect balance like weed does. its all cannabinoids that act like THC, without anything else in it to cancel out the unpleasant effects.

weed has many different substances in it, not just THC. in fact there are hundreds of them, they work together to create the perfect and healthy high that you get from marijuana.

the hallucinations that you are getting are probably as a result of the fact that drugs that stimulate the cannabinoid receptors are linked to psychotic symptoms such as hallucinations. and the spice just threw your mind for a loop temporarily, but its temporary, and you'll go right back to normal if you stop spice. marijuana on the other hand, doesnt cause a real increase in psychoses , thats because the cannabidiol has antipsychotic properties to balance things out.

Last edited by Proud90sKid; August 6th 2011 at 12:29 AM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Someone's Hero
Not a n00b

Re: Spice and Voices ? - August 5th 2011, 04:58 PM

Okay one, you really did your research, and I really appreciate that I have to say, most spice blends tasted really good to me, and if you do try it, you the blue dragons eye or w/e it's called...It smells and tastes like blueberry

Second, I rarely do hear the voices and noises sober...So it probably was just the effect of the Spice for the most part...As for the few I hear sober, I have no clue >.> So yeah even though I love the voices, I guess I'll go back to just smoking pot then :P

But yeah, with the boxes I was definitely totally sober :/ but eh, freak things happen sometimes right ?

"What if Tucker is contagious...I do not want to catch pregnancy!"

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Spice and Voices ? - August 6th 2011, 09:12 AM

I would consider not smoking it for a while and seeing if it continues, and if it does, talking to your doctor about it. (Spice is legal, I doubt you'll get in any trouble if it was a week or so later.)
If it does stop after you go a bit without it, I would consider not smoking it again. These effects do not sound like the normal effects of spice, and your reaction my not be healthy. But it's your decision in the end.
Good luck! PM me if you ever need!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
Closed Thread