TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Abusing Narcotics... - August 31st 2011, 07:41 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So, the last two weeks, I've been abusing narcotics to sleep (Vicodin, Soma, Trazadone)
I've always mixed them with 3-5 bennadryl and 2(+) Melatonin. I've taken 1-2 narcotics with them each night. Well, tonight is the first night without anything and I have a migraine, I'm hot, and nauseous. Question is, am I possibly withdrawing??

Any answers will help :]

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Abusing Narcotics... - August 31st 2011, 03:23 PM

I think it's possible to be withdrawing with that many drugs in your system - You shouldn't do that, by the way. - I know I abused Trazadone with Benadryl or Nyquil. and when I didn't take it I felt HORRIBLE. Now without drugs I wake up with a migraine and it completely sucks. Hopefully you feel better soon. Hope I was of some help. <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Abusing Narcotics... - August 31st 2011, 03:52 PM

Thanks for your response!
<3

I also want to mention that i had been on sleeping pills three months previous and had been taking bennadryl every night for almost a month.

I think I'm destroying my insides.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Abusing Narcotics... - August 31st 2011, 04:27 PM

Well, just to inform you, just because they are legal doesn't make them any less dangerous, especially when taking large doses or mixing medication.

You can develope an addiction to over-the-counter medications, and become dependant on them. You can also get very, very high off of them. To be hoenst, I wouldn't be surprised if you are suffering minor withdrawl symtoms.

Taking medication this way is risky. You need enough food in your system to absorb some of your stomach acid to avoid having all the pills disolve at the same time, this is not a hazard unless you are mixing medication.

You are also risking severe liver damage, which will tint your skin yellow. This is commonly seen in suicide survivors (Who tried via overdose) and people who abuse medication.

I'm curious to why you've been taking bennadryl for a month now? What's the appeal? Do you feel like it gets you high? Or is it the resistance to pain and/or the sleeping benifit?

The sleeping benifit can be fixed with sleeping pills, that are much more controlled, the resistance to pain means you may have, or may be developing a pain killer addiction (Which are very hard to work through) or if you just like the high feeling, you have are developing an addiction for over-the-counter medicines.

Honestly these kinds of drugs are potentially more harmful than street drugs because no on suspects the medicines in our home to be so harmful. Especially onces mixing them, the reactions may be unpredictable and this can easily end in accidental overdose, liver or intestine damage, stomach ulcers, etc. honestly you should try to seek help from this, or at least know what you are doing fully with this, and why. Make sure you know what medications are safe to mix, and in which dosages.

I wish you luck in whatever you choose.

- Jusitn

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Abusing Narcotics... - August 31st 2011, 04:50 PM

Thank you. I found this to be extremely informative, extremely helpful, and pretty much an eye opener for me. The reason why I take bennadryl, pain killers, and muscle relaxers is solely for sleep. I guess you could say the Vicodin was taken to get high, as well as sleep. I see my counselor today for the first time in almost three months, otherwise I doubt she'd be okay with letting me take all those pills, and would put an end to it (or try), so i can talk to her about putting me on sleeping pills again. But the ones she had me one weren't working.

As far as mixing them goes, a friend told me that Bennadryl and Vicodin have the same active ingredient, supposedly making it highly dangerous?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Abusing Narcotics... - August 31st 2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoroso View Post
As far as mixing them goes, a friend told me that Bennadryl and Vicodin have the same active ingredient, supposedly making it highly dangerous?
Yes. That's exactly right. It's extremely dangerous to have high dosages of the same active ingredient. (It's also dangerous to mix ingredients, but still). You are messing up your insides, I'm not judging btw, I understand how wanting to sleep so desperately can lead to taking so many medicines just to sleep. Totally have been there. It's not fun but you've gotta talk to your therapist about prescribing a more effective medicine. Wish you luck and if you need anything more feel free to PM me<33

(#7 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Abusing Narcotics... - August 31st 2011, 07:28 PM

Yes, the same active ingredient is dangerous. It's like having two candy bars when you aren't meant to have chocolate, it nearly doubles the amount of that one ingredient in your system.

I would recomend getting a new prescription for sleeping meds, because it's much less dangerous.

As believe.in.hope said, I'm not judging you either. I'm just informing the cold hard facts without sugar coating it, because far too often do teens dabble with drugs without knowing much about them. It's the cause of overdose. No fourty year old user dies accideentally, because they know what they are doing after using them for so long.

- Justin

Technologic

(#8 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Abusing Narcotics... - August 31st 2011, 11:24 PM

Oh no, I know you're not judging me
I appreciate both of your advice, and what not.

I talked to my counselor today. I told her I was overdosing. Basically what I told you all.
She said to stop, obviously lol. She also wouldn't refill my meds or put me on a new one.
She told me to put guided imagery on my ipod and all this stuff.
After being on pills and having as many issues as I do.. I don't think that's going to work.
So its going to be really hard for me to not overdose.

Idk

(#9 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Abusing Narcotics... - September 1st 2011, 01:38 AM

Well, seeing how you overdosed several times, I really am not overly surprised she denied you a new prescription. But please, avoid abusing narcotics anymore, because it really is the same as abusing street drugs.

- Justin

Technologic

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Abusing Narcotics... - September 1st 2011, 03:06 AM

Hey linds, as everyone else has said, you were probably having at least mild withdrawl symptoms, your body can adjust to anything you put in it and then it needs that to function properly and if it doesn't have it you have withdrawl. Give the guided imagery a try, it worked for me, but it depended on the type. One woke me up more for some reason and the other knoked me right out. It won't work the same way as the drugs do (and that's the point) so it might take some getting used to, but anything is better than overdosing please stop doing it I hate to think about you doing that.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Closed Thread