TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
shadow1795 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tony

Exclamation Trying To Help - September 5th 2011, 05:41 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Ok, so I have this friend that smokes weed and I'm trying to help her stop but I don't know what to do to help because she says that unless I'm with her all the time, I can't really help her stop. Can anyone give me any advice so I can help her before she does permanent bodily harm to herself.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Trying To Help - September 5th 2011, 05:04 PM

It's hard to help people in situations like this because everyone has freewill, so if she wants to keep using then she's going to, no matter what you do. Of course you can't be with her 24/7, but you can offer to support her if she decides to stop using, like if she's feeling tempted she can call you or you can hang out or something like that. Make sure not to get so involved with helping her that it takes a major negative toll on you, because that won't be good for either of you.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
messed_up Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Trying To Help - September 5th 2011, 07:41 PM

As someone who has been on the other side of this I can tell you that she wont stop until she wants to and if you try to force her to before hand she wont and she wont trust you anymore. My best friend thought i was addicted to drugs and told the school psychologist who almost told my parents. Ever since then I don't talk to this guy who used to be my best friend about anything whether its related to drugs or not. If I where you I would just let her know that you want her to stop but you know she wont until she is ready but when she is ready you will be there for her and help her.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Tonight Offline
Average Joe

Re: Trying To Help - September 5th 2011, 11:02 PM

As the others have said all you can really do is let her know you're worried about her and want her to stop so when she's ready to you'll be there to help.Let her know that if she feels the urge to use that she can call you up and you can talk to her or even go and hang out with her.It's really all you can do

Though I urge you to not try to force her into quitting.She'll end up distrusting you and you'll be of no help to her then.In order to help her she has to know she can trust you.I've been on her side of the fence (for something other than drugs) and I've had friends that tried in their own way to help me before I was ready and I pushed away all of them,haven't talked to them in years.

Good luck and also maybe show her this website,you don't need to tell her your username or anything but maybe this website can help her out a bit

You wonder why I never smile anymore,but with broken homes come broken smiles.

Has the acidic rain burned a hole so deep,that we don't care what's beneath our feet?

I'm a freak and my best friend is a pirate-ninja-dinosaur,what a unique friendship!

My heart is so numb,that I can't feel it breaking

Closed Thread