TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Hallucinogens - October 11th 2011, 04:29 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Anyone tried them? I've never hallucinated or experienced altered reality and would like to try it, but I don't want to become psychotic or anything. I guess my options are LSD, Peyote, Shrooms, etc. I heard benadryl and neurontin in overdose could do the trick, but I did see/hear anything. Lame.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: Hallucinogens - October 15th 2011, 04:56 PM

I’ve never tried them and its something I’ve always been afraid of. In many cases these drugs can take over your life. In some respects they control people to the point of death or a life changing break down. I had a co-worker that was addicted to Oxycodone, I’ve never seen someone change so quickly. A day before payday he asked me for a $100 at this point I knew his habit got way out of control, soon after he lost his job. The smartest thing one can do is stay clear from that life style, nothing good can come from the use of those illegal drugs.

Last edited by Ryan1; October 15th 2011 at 07:55 PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Hallucinogens - October 15th 2011, 05:23 PM

Jay, there's irony here that you are curious about hallucinating, yet are afraid of becoming the thing that is a major component of that experience: Psychotics by definition are in 'An altered state' and very frequently hallucinate!

So, what do you think that tells you?

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Hallucinogens - October 15th 2011, 05:48 PM

While there is drug-induced psychosis (a sub-type of schizophrenia), you won't fall into that with just a few tries of whatever drug. Some of them can be quite addicting, such as oxycodone, it takes just around a week of usage to become physically addicted. The issue is once you take whatever drug and get hallucinations, would you stop using the drug or would you keep using it under the excuse of wanting further hallucinations? Recently there are much more potent drugs containing methylenedioxypyrovalerone (MDPV), one of the main ingredients in, "bath salts" and gives hallucinatory and behavioural effects greater than those from cocaine, MDMA or LSD.

However, there's another issue with MDPV, LSD, MDMA and so forth. The hallucinatory effects are only one of the effects you'll get as quite often there is a sharp spike in blood pressure, heartbeat, confusion, sometimes suicidal thoughts, etc... . Drugs containing MDPV I wouldn't recommend because if you look at the history of, "bath salts", you'll see the toll it takes on people. Google bath salts and read some of the stories. I'm sure there are many stories that are not as grim.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
simons67a Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Hallucinogens - October 15th 2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost On The Highway View Post
Anyone tried them? I've never hallucinated or experienced altered reality and would like to try it, but I don't want to become psychotic or anything. I guess my options are LSD, Peyote, Shrooms, etc. I heard benadryl and neurontin in overdose could do the trick, but I did see/hear anything. Lame.
Hi there Ghost on The Highway

I have tried another cacti pretty much the same as peyote. (same active ingredient: mescaline) and I have also tried Salvia Divinorum commonly known as tripping weed.
I thought i would add some information for you hopefully this helps.

Important:
The term "hallucinogen" is a misnomer because these drugs do not cause hallucinations at typical doses. Hallucinations, strictly speaking, are perceptions that have no basis in reality, but that appear entirely realistic. A typical "hallucination" induced by a psychedelic drug is more accurately described as a modification of regular perception, and the subject is usually quite aware of the illusory and personal nature of their perceptions. Deliriants, such as diphenhydramine and atropine, may cause hallucinations in the proper sense.
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinogen#Nature_of_the_drugs]

Note: Dissociatives may also cause hallucinations in the proper sense.

The 3 classes of hallucinogens:

Psychedelics
Eg. LSD, Mushrooms, peyote and DMT

• These have been shown to have the least side effects or longterm health effects after use.
  • NO overdoses have occured from LSD
Dissociatives
Eg. PCP, DXM, Salvia divinorum and Ketamine

• These also can be dangerous
  • Little is known about salvia divinourm but it seems to be quite safe.
Deliriants
Eg. plants such as: Deadly nightshade, Henbane and Datura
pharmaceutical drugs such as the first-generation antihistamines diphenhydramine (Benadryl), its close relative dimenhydrinate (Dramamine or Gravol) and hydroxyzine, to name a few

• Deliriants are probabley the most dangerous to use recreationally out of all the Hallucinogens
  • Some prescription meds may also cause kidney damage.

If you have any questions please pm me.
cheers

(#6 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Hallucinogens - October 15th 2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post
Iíve never tried them and its something Iíve always been afraid of. In many cases these drugs can take over your life. In some respects they control people to the point of death or a life changing break down. I had a co-worker that was addicted to Oxycodone, Iíve never seen someone change so quickly. A day before payday he asked me for a $100 at this point I knew his habit got way out of control, soon after he lost his job. The smartest thing one can do is stay clear from that life style, nothing good can come from the use of those illegal drugs.
Okay cool, so it's not just me who sees a major problem with this behaviour.

Watch a youtube video of someone who's high on LSD, and it should pretty acurately sum up the experience. No way to get your bearings, sometimes scared or paranoid behaviour and alot of rolling around writhing on the ground. It's not that glamorous.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#7 (permalink)) Old
simons67a Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Hallucinogens - October 15th 2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKmadu619 View Post
Okay cool, so it's not just me who sees a major problem with this behaviour.

Watch a youtube video of someone who's high on LSD, and it should pretty acurately sum up the experience. No way to get your bearings, sometimes scared or paranoid behaviour and alot of rolling around writhing on the ground. It's not that glamorous.

- Justin
Just to get facts right:

Oxycodone is an addictive drug and may cause hallucinations but it is in no way related to typically used psychedelics like LSD.

It is a semi-synthetic opioid made in an attempt to improve on the existing opioids: morphine, diacetylmorphine (heroin), and codeine

LSD has zero physical addiction potential.
It is not physically addictive and it is not a drug that you will want to immediately do again. This is not the type of drug where a user experiences withdrawal if another dose isn't ingested within a relatively short period of time.

It may be psychologically addicting though. But after a bad experience users may never want to do it again.

With videos on youtube be weary to what you watch.
These videos can be very biased and completely incorrect. It is completely irresponsible to put a video up on youtube while you are under the influence of any drug.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Hallucinogens - October 18th 2011, 07:04 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone, very informative. Definitely some scary stuff here, and it seems like it can be tricky to determine what's "benign" and what isn't because there's so much variation from person to person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Bobby View Post
Jay, there's irony here that you are curious about hallucinating, yet are afraid of becoming the thing that is a major component of that experience: Psychotics by definition are in 'An altered state' and very frequently hallucinate!

So, what do you think that tells you?
Yes, but psychotics cannot control/end the experience of being in such a state. I wouldn't mind experiencing a "psychotic" state of being as long as I knew it would end when I woke up the next morning. It's all about control. That's why this class of drugs scares me but also catches my interest.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

Closed Thread