TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Smoking and Birth Control - October 27th 2011, 10:35 PM

So I recently started taking birth control pills (taking Aviane). I also smoke, which isn't recommended with Aviane.

I'm concerned about the safety of smoking while on the pill. I know it's not safe and best to just stay away, but the reality is that I will end up smoking once in a while. The second best thing I can do is at least get my facts straight.

Anyways, I smoke what they call poppers here: weed on top of tobacco. However, I am not a habitual smoker; I do not smoke every day, and the most I will smoke is every other day. I also do not smoke very much; a popper takes a fairly small amount of each substance, and I'll usually only have 1 or 2 on the average day I decide to smoke (for a better comparison, the amounts are so small that it will take me a good 10 poppers at least to finish a cigarette, so let's say that a popper = 1/10th of a cigarette).

But anyways, to the point:

- A lot of answers on the internet say that the risk of strokes and whatnot do not exist for smoking weed alone, is this true?
- Though I smoke tobacco from cigarettes, I barely smoke, and it probably averages out to about a cigarette every two weeks. Is it still significantly dangerous in such small amounts? The pamphlet says not to take it if you smoke over 15 cigarettes a day, but it also states not to smoke in general, and I just want to check and be safe

Thanks for any answers and advice

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Smoking and Birth Control - October 28th 2011, 12:03 AM

Smoking tobacco products such as cigarettes increase your chances of health problems, such as strokes, but weed doesn't. I don't think smoking once in a while will increase your chances that much, but cigarettes in general are very unhealthy. I think you would end up with health risks anyways.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Smoking and Birth Control - October 28th 2011, 08:00 AM

For birth control, I haven't found anything indicating marijuana directly affects it, although tobacco does.

One of the issues with studies examining marijuana is they tend to examine THC as it is a popular main ingredient but by no means is it the only main ingredient. Studies are very divided, as some say marijuana is therapeutic and protective:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/a54pp81301q75440/

http://test.ebcrp.org/sites/default/...na.pdf#page=60
Page 68, the medication SR 141716 was not clinically released at the time but is currently released under the name Rimonabant.

Other scientific papers do support a link between marijuana usage and cardiovascular symptoms and strokes. For example, the below article outlines how marijuana usage increases production of isoforms of apolipoprotein C-III, which is a known risk factor:

http://www.nature.com/mp/journal/v15...mp200850a.html

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...7.01505.x/full

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...02870307010447

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content...1626-1-373.pdf
Page 3 has a short table of cardiovascular events due to marijuana from 2 studies.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SairuhhMaye Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sairruh Maye

Re: Smoking and Birth Control - November 2nd 2011, 05:09 AM

I had the same issue. I started taking birth control after I quit smoking, and then I picked up the nasty habit again. I had to stop taking the pill, and I tried using the depo shot. (I hated it, it was horrible.) My doctor warned me of the risks..blood clots, strokes etc. of smoking on the pill and I didn't want to even test it. I wouldn't suggest smoking on the pill because of the risks, maybe take a different form of birth control? My doctor told me the depo shot is a better option for smoking, but its still got the risks. I tried it, didn't like it. There's other options though like the patch or the nuvaring(sp?).

Good luck

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: Smoking and Birth Control - November 2nd 2011, 09:53 AM

Thanks for all your info and support, I really appreciate it.

Last night I woke up to a massive pain in my leg. I've only been taking this thing for less than a week and I only smoked once since I've started taking it and I've already got issues Guess I'll be going to the doctor today...

(#6 (permalink)) Old
SairuhhMaye Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sairruh Maye

Re: Smoking and Birth Control - November 2nd 2011, 02:24 PM

I really highly doubt that it's a blood clot or anything because it's been less than a week that you've been taking it. Of course I'm not a professional, so it's good your seeing a doctor about it. I'd also suggest asking the doctor all your questions about smoking on the pill, how safe it is and what not.

Good luck!

Closed Thread