TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
HealingAngel Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Angie (or Ang)

What's so bad about pot...? - November 11th 2011, 03:02 AM

This thread has been labeled as non-PG13 by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for younger users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I've never done it and I've always thought it was so bad... but I just don't really get it...
My boyfriend came to school compeletely stoned this morning and I hated the glazed over look in his eyes, but are there any health effects to it? Why is it even illegal?
I know smoking anything is really bad for you but what if it was baked into some "magic" brownies or something...?
Why do people say it's so bad??

When You're At The End Of Your Rope...
Tie A Knot... and Hold On... <3
- . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . -
I think I kinda, sorta, maybe... mighttt just love him after all...
Settle precious, I know what you're going through,
Minutes before you got here, I was going to jump too...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Raining Glitter Offline
Average Joe

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - November 11th 2011, 03:39 AM

Mhhm why it's illegal?

Well... What I learned in health class is that
1. It is the gateway drug. Although it might not be a drug that has that bad of health defects, the addiction to the high has a tendency to drive people to harder drugs that can truly mess you up.

2. Smoke. If you smoke it too much- well not good. Breathing too much of anything in other than oxygen isn't healthy at all. I can't remember the exactly what it does but it's been a few years since I took health... Just remember your body depends on oxygen to function. Breathing in any type of smoke replaces the amount of oxygen per breath and makes you breath in stuff your body isn't fully prepared to handle all the time...

3. The actual high feeling. Okay being high off of anything can be dangerous. (So can being drunk... see bellow) A lot of things can go wrong when you smoke too much pot. I have friends who could barely walk and I needed to help carry them. Some people decide to drive while high, which in some cases, may or may not be safe. It really depends... but it can be dangerous.

Okay so I must say I'm not against pot. I kinda think it's silly it's illegal-and I've never smoked it in my life. A lot of my friends have, some frequently, but I personally never tried it and I'm not planning on to. I see it as illegal as beer. That's why, right now, some states are iffy about having it being illegal, and why there's a great debate about legalizing pot. It's not that bad, but it isn't the most healthy thing in the world.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
craz33me Offline
because...cats.
I've been here a while

Name: Ciara(:

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - November 11th 2011, 01:37 PM

Yeah. I agree with you. I think it should be legalized. People are gonna do it anyway. And you're right it's bad but it could be a lot worse. Ive never tried it,but I had an ex who did and I have a few friends who do. But I don't intend on trying it.

A beautiful thing is never perfect.

Send a message via Skype™ to craz33me 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
suchxaxdollxx Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cammelle

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - November 11th 2011, 02:26 PM

I've never smoked it, and I don't want to. I just don't see the need to alter the way I feel. I don't really like to drink either because it I don't like that out of control feeling. But I also don't see why it is illegal and alcohol isn't. I could care less if it was legalized, as long as it was kept out of the hands of children and stuff like that.

You gotta learn to live, laugh, and love. Especially live, even though sometimes it's the hardest thing to do.

www.facebook.com/cammyxchaos
  Send a message via AIM to suchxaxdollxx  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - November 11th 2011, 04:07 PM

People say its bad because it's illegal, and not worth fucking up your life for.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Raining Glitter Offline
Average Joe

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - November 12th 2011, 03:25 AM

Yeah I agree with all you guys too.

The only reason why I get worried when my friends do it is because it can be addicting. People say that you "can't get addicted to pot" but I've seen people who are addicted. It might not be the actual drug they get addicted to, but the feeling of high pot can give you. I've met people who let pot control their lives. It is all they do. That, I consider unhealthy. When any object, definitely one that can be consumed/breathed in by the body/ starts controlling your life, you have a problem. Pot might be just as bad as alcohol, but alcoholism can screw up a life so bad. Some people can't handle pot, just like how some people can't handle alcohol.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - November 12th 2011, 09:56 PM

I don't think theres anything that bad about weed. My only concerns are the fact that its illegal, and second hand smoke can affect other people unlike alcohol which can only make you drunk if you drink it. You can't be physically addicted to weed, just mentally addicted (so you wont get seizures if you stop smoking it suddenly, like you can with stopping drinking suddenly if you;re an alcoholic). It can be a gateway drug, but I think that if people are careful with it like alcohol, it can be okay. It's all about moderation, in my opinion - too much of anything will mess you up.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
HealingAngel Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Angie (or Ang)

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - November 14th 2011, 02:22 AM

It still kind of seems stupid now that I've been researching it...

The smoke inhalation is unhealthy, but the drug itself isn't...

If you didn't get totalllly stoned (had just enough to relax and slightly alter you mood), didn't drink, didn't take any other drugs, and didn't smoke it (baked it into something)... would there even be a single negative health affect?

I'm not saying I'd go and ever smoke it, it's illegal and not worth the legal risks at allll, but there aren't even any major health risks right? In fact, some people say small quantities every now and then is perfectly okay and might even be healthy (right...?)

When You're At The End Of Your Rope...
Tie A Knot... and Hold On... <3
I think I kinda, sorta, maybe... mighttt just love him after all...
Settle precious, I know what you're going through,
Minutes before you got here, I was going to jump too...

(#9 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - November 14th 2011, 03:10 AM

kayla1234: In the same way that small doses of radiation and junk food are healthy. Theoretically they are, in a lab they are, but somehow finding a non-evasive way to adminster the right amount between useless and harmful is tricky if not in a lab situation.

It works as a gateway drug, the smoke inhaltion is harmful, and when high your choices are impared. Tabaco, as filthy of a habit as it is doesn't make you "high", which is why it's legal. Until we find a way to acurately monitor how "high" someone is (Like an alcohol breathalizer test.) it will remain legal. It impares your choices, your reflexes and behaviours. It's not safe to drive while high, it's not safe to sign legal documents while high. Once some form of drug breathalizer is cheaply made and widely distributed I wouldn't be surprised if it's made legal. In the meantime no one has any responsibility for any bad choices you make while high, because right now the drug is against the law for protection of the public from abuse, and others abusing it (DUIs are a great example of this).

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - November 17th 2011, 03:00 AM

•You cant get addicted to pot.
•It doesnt (or shoudlnt) make you hallucinate.
if it did it was probably laced
•Alcohol is more harmful than pot
•Its a damn plant -_____-;
•I know people who smoke pretty much all day everyday and theyre healthy!
•its really not that bad..
~BC

(#11 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - November 17th 2011, 03:45 AM

BeautifullyCreated: You cannot develope a physical addiction, but psychological is totally possible.

The fact it can be laced doesn't say a whole lot about how safe it is.

Alcohol is more harmful? Source. Why is Alcohol legalized then either?

Plants can be harmful. Poison Ivy should stand for proof enough. Not to mention some household plants (Ones that are nicknamed "Christmas plants" whose real name eludes me right now.) is a nice example.

People can smoke it every day and be healthy NOW, but like real smoking ten years from now will tell another story.

It's really not that bad? Where is your source for this bullet? Are your other uncited statments supposed to function as such?

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Mel14 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - November 19th 2011, 06:53 PM

The reason it's illegal is because way back when there was a man who didn't want his lumber business to go out of business. Hemp was easier to manage and grew faster. He made a campaign to make marijuana seem dangerous. He won. No one has ever died because of solely marijuana. Also, the government couldn't put a tax on it. Overall, it's all because of money.

I'm a house of cards in a hurricane.
A reckless ride in the pouring rain.
He cuts me and the pain is all I wanna feel.
He'll dance away just like a child.
He drives me crazy, drives me wild.
But I'm helpless when he smiles.

He broke my heart when I broke his xbox360

Cherry Cherry Boom Boom

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - November 29th 2011, 01:48 AM

I dont think it should be leagalized.

Some people make the debate that people are going to do it anyway so why not legalize it. Well If we leaglized everything that was illegal because 'people are going to do it anyway', we would have some major problems in the world which we already have enough.

Just my opionion.

Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - November 30th 2011, 02:22 AM

Reading through this thread has made me cringe a bit because of the nonsense and incorrect information. First, the gateway drug theory has been scientifically refuted thousands of times and is riddled with flaws. The fact they even teach it in health class is pretty poor. Second, it is hard to say whether marijuana is addicting because there's research for and against it but ultimately it comes down to one's definition of addiction. However, even for the stringiest definition, physical addiction may be seen in those who ingest large amounts for a long time. Third, the smoke is harmful just like the smoke of tobacco (not to say they're equal, I'd rather avoid that debate).

A commonly-cited health concern from marijuana is short-term memory loss, particularly with long-term use. However, anecdotal evidence often refutes this and research is confounded because the diminished oxygen supply from any cause can affect memory. Many researchers avoid this issue by i.v. injections, however, that is problematic on its own because it ensures 100% bioavailability, whereas smoking it reduces to around 50-60% bioavailability, perhaps even lower. As a result, studying the effects over time will always be amplified.

Although it was not mentioned in this thread (thankfully), people often point out THC as being the "main active ingredient" in marijuana and attribute the health benefits and consequences to it. People who state that deserve a slap upside the head because there are other "main active ingredients", such as cannabinoids as well as slew of cannabinoid neurotransmitters naturally produced by the body (i.e. anandamide).

Marijuana has shown to be beneficial as it has protective neurodegenerative properties, that is, it can buffer the progression of Alzheimer's and other neurodegenerative diseases. Furthermore, the US recently allowed dronabinol and nabilone as synthetic cannabinoid medications for individuals to take like any normal medication without risking the oxygen-depletion or pulmonary-vascular effects from smoking marijuana. In this sense, it has been the only illegal drug to have medical effects and currently used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifullyCreated
•Its a damn plant -_____-
This made me facepalm.

India has naturally growing strychnine trees, Aspirin/ASA was created from the bark of Willow trees, the African khat plant induces hallucinations with possible aggressive behaviour, poison ivy is fatal if you burn it then inhale and hell, the foxglove plant I have growing kills rabbits and other small creatures that eat it (give enough to a human and same result), etc... .

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#15 (permalink)) Old
jhor Offline
Average Joe

Name: Water

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - December 11th 2011, 03:24 AM

Why is Marijuana illegal?

Because it alters your mind? No, then alcohol'd be out too. Because it can be harmful to inhale smoke? Why aren't ciggs legal?

No one can know for sure, I think. There are a lot of reasons; drug wars, false tests, racism associated with marijuana, associations with hippies, anythings. There are a million different things people will tell you. You'll probably go out of your mind if you want an exact answer.

No test has ever had the results of cannabis usage having a relationship with cancer. Lots of people assume that it would, but Cannabis is a completely different substance than all of the chemicals in cigarettes. Now If someone were to smoke a joint, depending where they got it, it could very well have things like Tar in it, which isn't good for your lungs at all. That's why most cannabis users have a vaporizer, so that's not really a problem. But, the fact is still there.

There has been a test that said it killed brain cells. This was conducted in the early 1970's by Drs. Heath & Tulane. After 90 days of administering monkeys 30 joints/day, all monkey had brain damage. Oh, wow. Oh that's crazy. I don't want to be stupid, I don't want my people to be stupid, so BAN. After 6 years of probing into the results of the test more, Dr. Heath revealed that, using a gas mask, he and his associate had pumped the equivalent of 60 joints over the course of 5 minutes into their monkeys. They were suffocating the monkeys. Oops. They're poor primate's brain cells were being killed off from lack of oxygen. As this was the only test to ever result in signs of brain damage, that theory is kinda' out the window. There has actually been a study that said cannabis usage could promote brain cell growth, but that's much to new to pay much attention to, mind you.

Tobacco kills about 430,000 deaths per year. Number one killer. Alcohol rings in at over 85,000 deaths annually. Lighting kills about 10,000 people per year; Texting about 6,000; Hippos about 2,900; Volcanoes about 850; Shopping on Black Friday, 550; Falling out of bed, 450. Cannabis use has never actually killed a person before. That puts it below rollercoasters, sharks, vending machines. You name it. For me, that helps put things in perspective.

So as long as a person is safe, they've little to worry about with the use of marijuana.

PLEASE REMEMBER
This is what I've found, when I had the exact same question as you. This is some of the information I've collected, but what you need to do if you really want to know more is do your own research. Look around, find some stuff out, ask some smokers, non smokers, do what you need to do until you're satisfied. You can't really depend on everything other people tell you. For all you know, I'm totally bullshitting you. But I'd like you to know that I'm not trying to provide biased information, in fact, I don't use marijuana. Just because you can't find anything wrong with something doesn't mean you need exploit it. I've smoked 5 times, and that was to help figure out the answer to my question - You can't really base an opinion on something without having experience. For me, at least.

So I think that's all I really have to say ... I really hope this helped you some. Good luck!
xxx.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - December 12th 2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeping'in'a'submarine. View Post

No test has ever had the results of cannabis usage having a relationship with cancer.
There have been two major relationships between cannabis usage and cancer. First, correlation studies between cannabis and testicular, prostate, breast or ovarian cancer.

http://www.nature.com/onc/journal/v3...c2010502a.html
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...ncr.25499/full

Second, studies between cannabis and reduction in cancer cells.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/161628.php

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Houseman Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Ryan (Alfred)

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - December 13th 2011, 03:48 PM

@Kayla1234,

Don't believe any of the hype from the media, pot is extremely safe. I know it's weird 'cause it's a drug and and all but about the only thing bad about it is some people call it a gateway drug, and it's never good to smoke plant matter. But if you ingest it, or vaporize your weed there's no smoke, and THC doesn't harmfully affect your brain.

(Granted: you shouldn't smoke during classes or while studying, it's not great for memory formation).

(#18 (permalink)) Old
jhor Offline
Average Joe

Name: Water

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - December 17th 2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
There have been two major relationships between cannabis usage and cancer. First, correlation studies between cannabis and testicular, prostate, breast or ovarian cancer.

http://www.nature.com/onc/journal/v3...c2010502a.html
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...ncr.25499/full

Second, studies between cannabis and reduction in cancer cells.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/161628.php

Well there you go. First off, thanks for these links.
As you can see the test contradicted eachother, which sucks. You don't really know where to look at why. One thing I think we can say is that as far we're concearned as of now, Cannabis does seem to have much less cancer risk than Cigarettes or even Alcohol. But things are always changing, people are always researching.

Thankyou very much The Man And XX Master! c:

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Autumnwind Offline
ThePoetsSociety.com
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Robert

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - December 17th 2011, 02:26 AM

So first, let's look into why Pot is illegalized. I don't want to look amazingly smart and give no credit, so I will direct you to this website.

http://www.drugwarrant.com/articles/...juana-illegal/

So take a look at that.

Also, pot can be a gate-way drug. To people who need a bigger high, and have the connections. If you have the right connections, you can get to Acid, Shrooms, Ex, and a ton of other drugs.

To some, not all, people will smoke pot, look at shrooms and think "Well, I've smoked pot, so I can do this." thinking they can control the high, or the experience. Truth is, you can't. Enough about other drugs.

The smoke from pot doesn't absolutely ruin your lungs or body. In fact, the only way you could ruin your lungs are if you mix Tobacco, use rolling papers (joints), or blunts (Cigar wrapper). If you use a bong, a pipe, or vaporizers you'll be doing MINIMAL to NO damage to your lungs. The only other way would be a scratchy throat because of coughing or all of the bullshit you eat without chewing

The high is a REAL high, and doesn't take any chemical out of your body to do it such as Extasy. The high comes from the natural chemical itself on the plant. The high DOESN'T mess with your brain, it DOESN'T mess with your body, and it DOESN'T mess with anything but your perception.

In fact, a lot of artists, students, and even teachers use Pot to calm them down in situations where they have to concentrate. I know a lot of times I can't write without taking a few hits, or sleep without taking a few hits. IF you do get REALLY stoned, the worst you'll feel is in the morning (kind of like a hang-over) but a lot of people don't get Weed Hangovers. I guess I'm the lucky one

The only way Pot is "bad" is the same way Alcohol is bad, other than damaging brain cells ('cause Pot doesn't do that, in my opinion. Not sure about scientific opinions or facts.), is perception of things. Like driving, playing video games, concentrating on one thing, zoning out. To me, if I get REALLY stoned, I can't drive, I can't play video games better, I can't concentrate on one thing usually, and I zone out a lot instead of paying attention. The only thing I can really do is create art. But having just enough to make you pretty stoned can actually cause you to think clearer and with more creativity.

That's my thought on pot.

Btw, I've been smoking pot for about 4 years now. And the only thing that feels different, is my weight. I've gained some weight since I've smoked pot.

My breathing has been fine for 4 years, and always has been, I never have coughing fits, I can jog perfectly fine and not lose breath easily, and so far I don't have cancer.

But, that isn't saying you will be perfectly fine, too. Pot effects different people different ways, as everything does.

I hope I helped!

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Synaestheasiaen Offline
Average Joe

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - December 23rd 2011, 05:15 PM

ON the contrary..Harborside Health Center in California is the biggest host to medical Marijuana products and it is available to children as well. There are numerous different ways to inhibit Marijuana and ways to take it in which don't even get you buzzed. A 4 year old named Jayden was having the worst epileptic fits since birth and was left with no personality after all the valium & tranquilizers he was put on which had no effect on his seizures. His dad gets a recommendation to go to Harborside where he buys a bottle dropper of Vegetable Glycerin with Marijuana product in it. The glycerin didn't get Jayden high-because that's not what Marijuana is meant for, for everyone. Jayden then goes days to weeks without seizures that he typically gets almost everyday. Can you really tell me now that Marijuana should be kept out of the hands of children? I can understand Recreational use to an extent, but some of you guys really need to open your eyes and educate yourselves.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - December 24th 2011, 03:46 AM

I don't think it is that bad. It probably damages your lungs to some extent when it is smoked. If it gets in the way of other things in your life, that is not good. I don't think it is necessarily a gateway drug. People and choose whether or not they want to do harder drugs. Some people do, but most don't.

As long as it is not done too much or at the wrong times, I don't see a problem with it really. We don't seem to have good evidence about its long-term effects on the brain.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
This Time I'll Make You Proud.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - December 24th 2011, 05:22 AM

As far as I know (from what I've read in an article), If you smoke pot too much
* Academically, you start becoming distracted and you don't do as well because you're loosing brain cells.
* It's hard on your lungs because you're breathing in smoke.
* It becomes addictive, so you want more and more.
* It can cause trouble for you, friends, and family.
* And, overall, it's just not healthy because it can get you into trouble.

That's all I really know, I'm not into drugs and alcohol. It's just not cool.

"..And if you're perusing the social media networks, I urge you to keep your fucking opinions to yourself. If you're going ruin someone's day, ruin your own."
- Bert McCracken

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - December 25th 2011, 05:02 PM

I smoked pot since I was 14 until last year. Its really hard on the growing brain, I didn't do well in school because I was always high. Its nothing to be proud of and its a shame I wasted all that time in school. I found that it was addicting and really hard to stop using. Recently when I wen't to the doctors I made a point to ask the same question you did here.

"why's it so bad?"

He said that it can cause Schizophrenia and anxiety issues. It also dulls your emotions and things make you uneasy and temperamental. Being high can also lead to socializing issues. I haven't got a good thing to say about it and I've done enough to fill a cargo ship.

You'd be doing yourself a favour by staying away from it trust me, anyone who says otherwise doesn't have your best interest in mind.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Max_99 Offline
Average Joe

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - December 26th 2011, 03:18 AM

I don't see anything wrong with it. Doesn't have affects any worse than cigarettes and alcohol IMO. *rolls joint*

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - December 26th 2011, 12:50 PM

I've smoked it myself. A lot of my friends and family smoke it. I don't plan on touching the stuff again though.

I don't think getting "high" off anything is a good idea. It effects your judgement, gives you something else to do when you could be doing something useful, it's illegal so if you get caught it could fuck your life up, your giving money to organised crime, there's a chance it could be laced etc. Like Justin said, the fact that is COULD be laced should show you how trustworthy it is.

The last time I smoked it I felt dizzy, was sick all night and nearly fainted. It's a lot stronger than it used to be in the 60s.

Smoking anything isn't good for you.

I don't personally think any drug is worth the consequences. I know smoking one joint isn't exactly going to kill you but overall the cons overweigh the pros.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."

Last edited by Make Believe; December 26th 2011 at 01:08 PM.
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - December 27th 2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnwind View Post
Also, pot can be a gate-way drug. To people who need a bigger high, and have the connections. If you have the right connections, you can get to Acid, Shrooms, Ex, and a ton of other drugs.
*shakes head* oh boy, again with the gateway drug theory.

Quote:
The smoke from pot doesn't absolutely ruin your lungs or body. In fact, the only way you could ruin your lungs are if you mix Tobacco, use rolling papers (joints), or blunts (Cigar wrapper). If you use a bong, a pipe, or vaporizers you'll be doing MINIMAL to NO damage to your lungs. The only other way would be a scratchy throat because of coughing or all of the bullshit you eat without chewing
Pot does cause significant damage to the lungs. For some scientific information:

http://www.thoracic.org.au/imagesDB/...itionpaper.pdf (PDF file) Check out the last page of this as it briefly comments on how using a bong or pipe is fairly ineffective.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...04.40081.x/pdf (PDF file)

As for damage to the body, there's no point in me providing any scientific evidence because later on in your post, you contradict yourself (more than once) and indicate marijuana does in fact harm the body.

How much of your post's content was from the link versus your own opinion, as that may account for the numerous contradictions?

Quote:
The high comes from the natural chemical itself on the plant. The high DOESN'T mess with your brain, it DOESN'T mess with your body, and it DOESN'T mess with anything but your perception.
This part doesn't make sense because you're implying sensory perception is a process that does not involve the brain since the brain is unaffected by the chemicals in marijuana. Can you explain how this is possible?

Quote:
In fact, a lot of artists, students, and even teachers use Pot to calm them down in situations where they have to concentrate. I know a lot of times I can't write without taking a few hits, or sleep without taking a few hits. IF you do get REALLY stoned, the worst you'll feel is in the morning (kind of like a hang-over) but a lot of people don't get Weed Hangovers. I guess I'm the lucky one
You're contradicting yourself here. In the above quote, you said only perception is affected, not the brain, but here you are saying concentration (and cognitive processes) are also affected. As everyone knows, these processes occur within the brain.

Quote:
The only way Pot is "bad" is the same way Alcohol is bad, other than damaging brain cells ('cause Pot doesn't do that, in my opinion. Not sure about scientific opinions or facts.), is perception of things. Like driving, playing video games, concentrating on one thing, zoning out. To me, if I get REALLY stoned, I can't drive, I can't play video games better, I can't concentrate on one thing usually, and I zone out a lot instead of paying attention. The only thing I can really do is create art. But having just enough to make you pretty stoned can actually cause you to think clearer and with more creativity.
You're now implying perception indeed involves the brain, so you've negated your previous opinion. Why in your non-scientific opinion does pot not damage brain cells? The scientific view is not set in stone because many studies have found that brain cells indeed are damaged. Another view is pot can protect and help "heal" damaged neural networks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post

He said that it can cause Schizophrenia and anxiety issues. It also dulls your emotions and things make you uneasy and temperamental. Being high can also lead to socializing issues. I haven't got a good thing to say about it and I've done enough to fill a cargo ship.
There's some mixed views of how much marijuana affects the development of schizophrenia. Pretty much all articles agree that it can cause it (as your doctor stated), however, they differ in respect to the likelihood. One of the best articles I've found for this is pretty lengthy so I'll highlight the key part:
http://schizophreniabulletin.oxfordj.../35/3/549.full

Read the paragraph above the heading, "Findings From the Prodrome and 'Extended Phenotype' of Schizophrenia". I have it in PDF although I could only find it in web form, so apologies for the poorer layout.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - December 27th 2011, 07:58 AM

As much as people say it isn't, it really is addicting. Still trying to get my boyfriend to quiet & it causes a lot of problems for him & for people close to him. Don't do it.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Siren❤ Offline
Average Joe

Name: ILH♡

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - December 29th 2011, 10:09 AM

It can be bad for you in many ways. I personally believe it can be seen as a gateway drug (my ex is concrete proof of that sometimes happening to Weed users), It CAN make you develop mental health problems, or perhaps be more inclined to. I used to do it every so often, and it isn't good. I had mild paranoia and it did not help one bit...
Tbf it isn't the worst drug you could be doing, but imo there is a reason it is illegal. I am not doing it again after a bad experience I had a few months to a year back.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - December 30th 2011, 03:26 AM

Alcohol and tobacco are far worse and are legal. There are conflicting studies on whether or not weed causes damage to the body, but overall, it's not as harmful as alcohol or tobacco can be. I used to be anti-marijuana until I educated myself on said subject. I personally would like to see weed legalized, but the chance of that realistically happening is pretty slim.

Last edited by Kitty.; December 30th 2011 at 03:37 AM.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - January 3rd 2012, 11:16 PM

nothin is wrong with it.

the main reason why it wont be changed to being medical on a federal level is that the government sees that it would be "atypical" to have a plant used as a medicine, espescially if it has to be smoked/vaped/put in a browny. just a technicality basically.

the main reason its not legal for recreation is because of brainwashing by things like DARE, national geographic, etc. making drugs look bad. Also the stigma of being a pothead. Basically because the concept of " recreational drug" is universally stigmatized such that much of society views marijuana in the same category as heroin, cocaine,etc. simply because their DARE officer lumped it in with drugs and then said drugs are bad. people are so easy to brainwash. Its kind of like how domestic violence, sexual harrassment( asking a woman out when she doesnt want to go out with you), and other lesser wrongdoings are lumped in the same law bills and company rules as are larger crimes like sexual assault ,etc to make the lesser stuff seem worse.

One way to make something relatively innocent look horrible is to alter vocabulary slightly such that you lump that one innocent thing in with the bad things. so basically, pot gets seen in a bad light because its lumped in the same category as heroin and crack and meth.

in fact, the only danger of pot is that it produces a smell and so many kids get their education derailed because some campus police officer smells their smoke. Law enforcement does more danger than pot ever will.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
notwhoithinkiam Offline
In a world full of bloo ponies
Not a n00b

Name: Kylee

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - January 4th 2012, 01:31 AM

As someone who has utilized pot for a few months fairly heavily, how bad the drug is really depends on the person who is using it, if they have an addictive personality then yes there is a problem with them using it, but that is like alcohol in the same sense that certain people will react to the substance poorly. Pot is basically a plant that instills a high when burned and the smoke inhaled, there has been no real link to any major negative health effects to my knowledge (unlike cigarettes) besides the negative effects that come from inhaling non oxygen substances. We all know that with anything people can become less than responsible, but if pot is sold and used as intended and has some regulations put in place (as there is with alcohol) I think legalization of pot would go over well. Just my two cents worth

[Rob] The best Mac app is iTax
[Mr.Cat] iFail is the best
[~Emily~] I like iMoneyless, myself.
[Steph] iHoes
now thoses apps we could all live with
[Jessie] I'm a pro at ass kicking. At just 5' tall.
that is ass-kicking tall

12:50 AM [Jack] Well being a guy I'll just go quit my law degree and go back to scratching my ball sack with a twig as I'm supposed to be doing apparently.
Jack's "angry" and sarcastic response to ppl thinking men are intelectually insufficient

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Tyr. Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - January 4th 2012, 06:56 PM

In my own (highly un-scientific and non-politically-correct) experience, there is a high correlation between smoking weed and being a shithead.

There are exceptions to the rule, but otherwise those have been my general observations.

Just my $0.02

- Yogi

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Ollie- Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ollie

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - January 4th 2012, 10:31 PM

I agree with Ella completely. There's nothing wrong with weed at all, the second you start abusing a drug though & taking it everyday is when you start to see the dark side of things.

And FYI for the people saying weed is a gateway drug, it is NOT. Taking one toke of a joint does not instantly compel you to go on a massive hunt for some crack. If people like to alter their minds then of course if they smoke weed they are going to want to do other stuff, but does that mean if someone is to use ketamine as their first drug and then want to smoke weed does that make ketamine it a gateway drug? No its all up to the person and their choices

(#34 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - January 5th 2012, 04:37 AM

Pot is a gateway drug more so then any others, often times people who use pot either drink or smoke tobacco if not both. While its not fair to say one hit turns you into a drug connoisseur it certainly opens up ideas to other drugs or perhaps an interest in getting high that you've never had before. To say there's nothing wrong with it is incorrect, there's a negative affect to every substance, some are just worse then others.

Please just keep in mind its okay to share your views on the topic just try not to advocate the use of pot.

Thanks.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Ollie- Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ollie

Re: What's so bad about pot...? - January 5th 2012, 02:36 PM

Sorry Ryan I hope my post didn't come off like that.

I don't actually like weed at all as i've seen how selfish etc it can make people, I just wanted to give un-biased advice. Of course there are problems with drugs (when you abuse them) and I never advocate using them but i think its better to tell someone the proper facts rather than talk to franks scare tactics.

Closed Thread