TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hoʻonani i ka makua mau
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Meth Project - November 17th 2011, 01:25 AM

NOT EVEN ONCE

November 30th is National Meth Awareness Day

Highly addictive, easy to get, and lower prices with increased supply from Mexico make the odorless drug, Methamphetamine (also known as Meth, Glass, Crystal, Tina, Crank, Batu, and Ice), a widely available drug to teenagers across the United States. In Hawaii, 1 in 10 teens has been offered meth and 1 and 7 have had a family member in treatment for meth use. It is one of the most addictive synthetic substances known to man because of the high levels of dopamine that are released into the brain when the drug is either taken orally, smoked, injected, or snorted. The effects of meth can last anywhere from 6 to 24 hours (depending on factors including body composition).

Short term physical effects of using meth include becoming easily agitated, an increase in body temperature (sometimes to lethal levels), an increase in heart rate, convulsions, and on occasion, even death. Long term meth users may also experience paranoia, auditory hallucinations, extreme rage, and changes in diet and sleep habits that may result in missing teeth, anorexia, and hair loss.

Meth use doesn't just have physical repercussions, but social ones as well. Many meth addicts will steal, prostitute themselves, and find many other unhealthy ways to support their habit. These actions lead many to STD's, unwanted pregnancy, arrests, and negative relationships with friends and family.

90% - 95% of people who try meth for the first time will become addicted. Even if they try to quit, 90% of meth users will end up picking up the pipe again. Symptoms of a meth withdrawal can last anywhere from 6 to 12 months on average and include depression, anxiety, fatigue, paranoia, and aggression.

After reading this, you may be thinking, "Why should I care? How does this affect me? I've never done meth, I've never met anyone who does meth." Meth doesn't just affect its users. It affects everyone in the community, whether it be directly or not. Meth's effects cost the U.S. between $16.2 and $48.3 billion per year. That's your taxpayer money.

So what CAN you do? You can become an advocate in your community and speak out against meth. The Meth Project is a nationwide program who's goal is to educate the public about the effects of meth and reduce meth use through public service messaging. Through tv, radio, billboards, community outreach, and social media, the Meth Project uses strong visual and emotional ads to get its message out. Since its start in Montana in 2005, meth use among teenagers has dropped 63% in the state, as well as 52% in Idaho, and 65% in Arizona.

For more information visit THE METH PROJECT online

Current U.S. states supporting The Meth Project:
Arizona
Colorado
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Montana
Wyoming

Just because your state/country isn't a part of The Meth Project doesn't mean you can't help! You can always spread awareness about the effects of meth. And just remember that the most important thing you can do for anyone you know doing meth is get them help!

source: methproject.org

Wasn't really sure where to put this thread, but if anyone has any questions on the topic of meth or on The Meth Project, I'd love to try my best to answer.

Last edited by asian persuasion; November 17th 2011 at 01:33 AM.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Meth Project - November 17th 2011, 03:48 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I will be citing this later to users who act like Meth isn't a "big deal."

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Meth Project - November 18th 2011, 04:29 PM

This is a great project, thanks for posting! As somebody from a very bad area for meth use, this is something people need to be educated on. Here's the Arizona page if anybody wants to check it out! Addicts, recovering addicts, and supporters, this project is a great way to get involved. Education and supporting rehabilitation works a lot better than jailing addicts (victims) of meth.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
hoʻonani i ka makua mau
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Re: Meth Project - November 20th 2011, 01:32 AM

Thanks for the support you guys!

Closed Thread