TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
iggy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: igor

Question how to stop? - November 22nd 2011, 02:25 AM

I first got high at the age of 13 and since then I've never stopped, about 3 years ago (when i was 15) i started experimenting with other drugs and alcohol, and although it's hard for me to admit I am addicted, I can't fall asleep or do anything without being stoned anymore. I really want to stop but when I go a night without it I start thinking about all the stuff that's bothering me and I just crack. can anyone tell me what to do?
I know that if i continue this way I won't last much longer. I really need your help!

HORDE ZLA SARAJEVO 1987

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: how to stop? - November 22nd 2011, 03:32 AM

Perseverance is key my friend, often times people use drugs to cope with issues they have in their life sometimes just to fall a sleep at night. If you truly have your mind set on quitting Iíd suggest getting ride of all the drugs in your house. In other words donít have a joint pre-rolled when youíre tying to quit its counter productive. Youíve got to remember that everyone makes mistakes. Sometimes itís not easy to live with but you canít substitute those feeling with being high all the time.

The first three days too a week are the hardest, that can change depending on the drug youíve become accustom too. Another option you have is to ask for help, perhaps you could stay with a friend & have them hangout with you to try and keep your mind off of it. You can do anything you put your mind to - just have a little faith.

If you ever want to chat just let me know and we can set something up.

I wish you all the best.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: how to stop? - November 22nd 2011, 03:32 AM

Hey Igor, welcome I'm sorry to hear that you struggle with addiction, but I'm glad you want to stop. In addition to what Ryan said, I would suggest that you see a doctor so they can evaluate everything you're using/have used and look at the long term effects. They can also help ease your withdrawl symptoms and direct you to treatment programs and support groups. I also want to point out that depending on what you're using and how long you've been using it, it can be dangerous to quit cold turkey and/or unsupervised. I know it can be scary, embarrassing etc., but it's better than continuing the way you are now.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
LostAngels Offline
Glam Rocker/Classic Violinist
Average Joe

Name: Jordan Lorraine

Re: how to stop? - November 22nd 2011, 02:39 PM

Hello.

I started using Ecstasy, MDMA, Meth, Shrooms, everything at 13 as well.
The best way for you to quit varies, depending on a million different things.
I quit using when my parents found out. They sent me to a week-long stabilization home. I hated them the day they took me there, but I was do thankful by the end of the week.*
Stabilization aren't rehabs. All you do is live in a little cabin with other kids who are dealing with all sorts of mental problems. You talk to therapists, write a LOT about yourself and how you're feeling, and the best part is you stay clean.
I've never dealt with physical withdrawal symptoms, but if you do not use daily, do not worry about those.
All I can tell you, is its been 3 years since I went to Woods Homes, and all that goes through my mind when all my high school friends talk about drugs, is how much better being completely sober it feels than any high.*
It's such a relief, being free of all emotional turmoil and stress, and unnecessary confusion and resentment.*
You need to decide whether you're strong enough to do it on your own, or if you need help. And trust me, getting help does not have to be as much of a struggle as it seems to be.*
If you're close enough with your parents, I highly advise you tell them about your use, and say you want help.*
They'll be alarmed, but will soon realize you did the right thing by going to them.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
iggy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: igor

Re: how to stop? - November 24th 2011, 12:06 AM

the main problem other than quitting is I have no one to support me, my mom knows that I use and all she said was: "don't u dare bring that stuff into my house ever again" and I've met most of my friends through drugs. To make a bad situation bad, i live in Sarajevo and the only facility that offers anything like rehab is the psychiatric hospital and if i went there i'd have to pay for it because i'm not ensured. Another user who knows all of this suggested that i finish high school and move to another town, cutting all ties with my friends but I'd like that to be my last option and that won't solve anything right away

so if you guys have any suggestions i'd really appreciate it.

HORDE ZLA SARAJEVO 1987

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: how to stop? - November 24th 2011, 03:49 AM

Well moving away may or may not solve your problem. Others will only be able to do so much. It all comes down to what you want out of life, you need to be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel and follow through with your intent to quit. Friends come and go its time you hand pick better friends or have none at all for a while. I know that seems like a horrible option but really you haven’t got many choices. Realistically speaking your friends that associate you to that life style will drop along with the drugs when you quit.

In life drastic measures are needed to correct bad situations. Just don’t wait until your minds so corrupted otherwise its going to be one hell of a struggle. Not to sound older then my years but your only 18 you’ve still got a lot of leeway, whether that be to dig a bigger hole or rise above it’s your choice. Addictions are scary – you never know where your mind will take you to get your hands on the drug. In my opinion dropping it coldly turkey is the best choice.

Closed Thread