TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
into creation x Offline
Not a n00b

I have a drinking problem - December 18th 2011, 08:16 PM

For almost a year now, I've been drinking to the point I don't remember quite often when I go out. I've been taken home in a riot van for being so drunk I could barely walk. I lost my virginity to a drunken one night stand and have had another since then too. Also drove my car a fair amount of times while drunk then finally was caught a few months back so I've now got a driving ban. I knew then that my drinking really was getting out of hand but have still had nights I don't remember since then.

Normally I'm the kind of person who laughs off everything but I know deep down it really does bother me that I've done all this. I've lost all respect for myself. I do sometimes cry about this when I really think about it.

The thing that's really bothering me about it now is the fact I've just started seeing someone who I really like. From day one I was upfront about all this and have admitted that it's a problem to him. When I've been out since I met him I've text him on a couple of occasions telling him I don't deserve him. One of the nights I might have kissed someone else. And the other I just don't remember anything past a certain point. So who knows what happened then, if anything. I would never cheat if I were sober and I think even drunk I know what I'm doing in the moment, so that's no excuse. We've talked about it and he's told me he already worries when I go out. His last relationship was ruined because of her cheating. He's told me he doesn't know if he can trust me and I've told him I don't blame him. I told him to end it because I don't even trust myself when I drink that much. I told him this is like the wake up call I need as I don't want to lose him. And I really mean that, no one has ever made me feel like they genuinely give a shit about me before. He does still want to see me

I know this is probably a daft thing to ask because it's as simple as just don't drink as much, but I know myself and I just get another drink. I never get to a point where I think this is enough. Then before I know it I'm at the point where I won't remember in the morning. I've been single all this year too while my behaviour has been getting out of hand so the countless drunken kisses and odd one night stands haven't affected anyone but me.

I don't want to stop drinking completely because I don't think I need to take it to that extreme, but I definitely need to cut down.

Has anyone got any advice?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: I have a drinking problem - December 18th 2011, 10:50 PM

Hey there,

The fact that you recognize the problem is the first step to recovery from your addiction. Unfortunately, you might have to quit drinking completely . . at least for a while. I hate to be the one to tell you that, but I speak from experience. For people with alcohol addictions, one drink can turn into ten drinks pretty fast. Sometimes, we don't even realize it. It's definitely a tough change, that might have some nasty effects at first. But, those will go away.

Ultimately, this is a decision that you need to make on your own. Think about the things that it has cost you, and weigh those against the feelings you have when you drink. Which would you rather have in your life? Only you can decide that. If you do make the choice to quit, I would suggest finding a rehab center, or joining AA -- something along those lines. It doesn't say anything bad about you, in case you were thinking that. Instead, it shows that you recognize the problem and are willing to make sacrifices to change your lifestyle. That's a very respectable thing.

If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to shoot me a message. I'd be happy to share my personal experiences with you, if that's what you need.

Take care,
Sammi.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#3 (permalink)) Old
5a5 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I have a drinking problem - December 20th 2011, 03:52 AM

i think that if ure abusing alcohol to a point where its controling ur life then u need to stop drinking completely at least for a while, does it seem scary to think that u just wont drink at all? ure not remembering some nights at all, what if during one of those times u hurt urself or someone else? then it will be too late to fix things, sorry im being harsh but thats the truth

Closed Thread