TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   Does this Happen to Any of You Guys? (Alcohol) (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t92161-does-happen-any-you-guys-alcohol/)

Veni Vidi Vici January 5th 2012 07:21 AM

Does this Happen to Any of You Guys? (Alcohol)

So, when I was a bit younger (about 2 years to be exact), I got introduced to alcohol, and parties with alcohol... Being the immature person I was back then, I drank my heart out at these gatherings and parties, even pre - drinking with friends before events where no alcohol was allowed. Obviously, for the duration of these 2 years, I came home extremely drunk, always throwing up and passing out on the floor.

So what does this have to do with my question? Well, there was this one time (at a friend's party), where I drank way too much... I literally passed out right where I was sitting, filling buckets with vomit. Ever since, I haven't been able to drink...

Every time I go to gatherings and parties, I try to down some shots of whatever's there, and there's an instant gag - reflex, even before the liquor touches my mouth. I simply have an extremely difficult time digesting alcohol now, I just can't drink anymore.

I've already been told by a friend that it may be my body rejecting alcohol since it has had bad experiences with it. Even if this theory is true, would there be any way to solve it? I'm not the same person I used to be anymore so I'm obviously not gonna go out only to get piss drunk, but it would be nice to have a drink here and there and to have a good time with friends from time to time. It's honestly becoming a big problem as it's simply prohibiting me from having a good time outside of school.

So anyways, does this happen to anyone? If so, what have you done to try to get over it? If it hasn't, what do you think is causing it? I've already tried resting for a really long period of time...

Any insight will be greatly appreciated. :'(

Sincerely Yours ♥ January 5th 2012 08:31 AM

Re: Does this Happen to Any of You Guys? (Alcohol)

I also get a gag reflex when drinking alcohol. It's usually when I'm drinking strong liquor, so it has a distinct smell & taste to it. I think it's totally normal. Somethings are an acquired taste. Chasers & mixers are great ways to help with this.

Haruhi January 5th 2012 12:29 PM

I don't gag when I'm drinking it, but if I start downing it I will gag no matter what alcohol it is. Even if it's an alcopop. It's pretty normal. Just take it slow when you're drinking, you'll enjoy it so much more. :)

bitesize January 5th 2012 12:38 PM

You could maybe try mixing it with something so much that you can't taste the alcohol?? Slightly similarly, when I was fifteen/sixteen I used to be able to drink vodka straight and now that's impossible for some reason, so I make sure to put in so much mixer that the vodka is barely tastable at all. Maybe if you convince yourself you're just drinking coke it might work. :P

Veni Vidi Vici January 6th 2012 06:07 AM

Thanks for the insight, mixing it definitely helps.. but most of the time (at friend gatherings), we drink out of shot glasses in shots at a time. It's only after when we drink some pop to help wash it down (so I can't really mix it, I have to resort to drinking the plain liquor).

brokensmilexx January 7th 2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carpe Diem (Post 789106)
Thanks for the insight, mixing it definitely helps.. but most of the time (at friend gatherings), we drink out of shot glasses in shots at a time. It's only after when we drink some pop to help wash it down (so I can't really mix it, I have to resort to drinking the plain liquor).

If your only doing shots then the only way to help the taste is by mixing half a shot and half juice/pop/whatever you want with it in the shot glass..you can still taste the alcohol but it helps a bit.
Other than that drink mixed drinks, if you're drinking hard liquor then drink a bit of it before you do your shots, then your mouth is at least sort of familiar with the taste already (though this might not be very effective aha)
I miss the days when I could drink straight liquor like it was water.. lol

Veni Vidi Vici January 10th 2012 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokensmilexx (Post 790070)

If your only doing shots then the only way to help the taste is by mixing half a shot and half juice/pop/whatever you want with it in the shot glass..you can still taste the alcohol but it helps a bit.
Other than that drink mixed drinks, if you're drinking hard liquor then drink a bit of it before you do your shots, then your mouth is at least sort of familiar with the taste already (though this might not be very effective aha)
I miss the days when I could drink straight liquor like it was water.. lol

Yeah haha, I'm in the same boat as you... it's just embarrassing/distressing to not be able to keep up after 1 or 2 shots (some days I can't even take 1!), especially after I used to drink with ease! I thought you would be acquiring a taste for alcohol as you got older not losing taste in it!:?