TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I Am No Hero Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Megan

Points: 9,176, Level: 14 Points: 9,176, Level: 14 Points: 9,176, Level: 14

Is this a problem? (Alcohol) - January 10th 2012, 01:14 PM

A couple months ago, a friend introduced me to alcohol. I haven't gotten drunk, and I'm not planning on it (except for once (and only once), when I'm older, to see what it's like), but I can't seem to go for a day without craving it. I don't drink much of it, usually just a shot of something mixed with soda or juice, but I have these cravings for it all the time. Is this a problem? What can I do about it?

This is the last night you spend alone
Look me in the eyes so I know you know
I'm everywhere you want me to be
The last night you'll spend alone
I'll wrap you in my arms and I won't let go
I'm everything you need me to be

~Skillet - The Last Night

When Michael died, Megan was born. And I won't go back for anything.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Shawn K. Offline
SoCali Baller
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Shawn

Points: 10,199, Level: 14 Points: 10,199, Level: 14 Points: 10,199, Level: 14

Re: Is this a problem? (Alcohol) - January 11th 2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelxlife View Post
A couple months ago, a friend introduced me to alcohol. I haven't gotten drunk, and I'm not planning on it (except for once (and only once), when I'm older, to see what it's like), but I can't seem to go for a day without craving it. I don't drink much of it, usually just a shot of something mixed with soda or juice, but I have these cravings for it all the time. Is this a problem? What can I do about it?
Hey Michael. My Peer Mediation class has talked about this a couple of times. We have lots of drinking at my school. (Drugs too to be honest). Our advisor always questions kids that say they are craving the "taste" of Alchohol. She says its more likely that the taste is related to the "effect" the alchohol has on the drinker, so they are craving the effect. When I asked her about your post, she said it is a "potential" problem, espeially because you are young. She said some people become dependent VERY EASILY and with little alchohol to start.

As for what to do about it, she said that if you've just started and recognize it as a problem, stop drinking. She said if you stop acting on the craving, and are not physically dependent on the alchohol, the cravings should subside. She suggested that physiccal activity, or some form or recreation would help distract the mind from the craving.

If you are becoming physically or psychologically dependent on the effects of the alchohol, she strongly suggested counseling to help you stop drinking. Regardless, she says, and from what I see around my school I agree, regular use of alchohol by kids is not a good thing.

Hope this helps.

15 Straight - Loving Life - Love meeting new peeps - Want to help if I can

Girl: "My doctor says I can't have sex for a while."
Boy: "What does your dentist say?"
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Points: 27,759, Level: 24 Points: 27,759, Level: 24 Points: 27,759, Level: 24

Re: Is this a problem? (Alcohol) - January 12th 2012, 12:52 AM

Just to get straight to the point - yes, this is a problem. I wouldn't say you are 'addicted' per say but you do have a problem that can lead to more serious issues like getting drunk. Is it ok to drink a few times a month? I think that it is ok to do that - but everyday is not good (unless its a glass of wine - proved fact).

Try to resit the urge to drink - and if you can not do that than you need to seek help before the problem leads to a bad situation.

Best wishes,
Chris

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
— Malala Yousafzai
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Points: 11,157, Level: 15 Points: 11,157, Level: 15 Points: 11,157, Level: 15

Re: Is this a problem? (Alcohol) - January 12th 2012, 04:18 AM

Even though you aren't drinking to get drunk, you want to take a shot or two every now and then.. and then lets say it becomes a daily thing.. and then maybe it becomes more.. People in my school, including myself, drink every now and then. My one friend gets drunk at least once a week, but we know when enough is enough. If you think it's a problem, or it might be a problem, then it definitely is a problem. You have control over what you do, and honestly, what you do with that control is up to you.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

Closed Thread