TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

View Poll Results: All a shot of whiskey count as drinking?
Yes 24 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Alisha

Will a shot of whiskey count as drinking? - February 25th 2012, 07:24 PM

I've got an alcohol abusing problem and I've been sober for a year. My friend is offering to give me some alcohol and I would like some but I'm not sure if it would count as drinking because I've been counting how long I've been sober and I don't wanna have to start all over again because of one shot.
Nobody knows that I have a problem with alcohol and drugs because I've always done that stuff alone. Then I would go to school and drink or use drugs there and no one noticed that I was under the influence which is good because it's against the rules to do what I did. I managed to stop with some help from a recovery club for a 2weeks til my parents found out I was there and then I had to stop going because I didn't want them to know that is have a problem. They wouldn't understand because they think I don't have any problems at all because I'm young and that's not true. Any ways I'm going to stop talking because I feel like at this point it's just me rambling lol xD

Everthing I see seems to be a lie. And everything you see in me you think is the truth. But, really all you see is what I'm masking the real me with. You never see me cry. Because I'll never let you. And you'll never see me die because I feel like I already have in a way.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Will a shot of whiskey count as drinking? - February 25th 2012, 08:08 PM

Hey Brooke,

For someone with a substance problem, "just one shot" can turn into "just one more"--over and over again.

I'm assuming you know, at least deep down, that taking even one shot of alcohol "counts" as drinking. If you didn't already believe that a single shot is drinking, I don't think you would be looking for affirmation that it is not. A year is a lot to be proud of. The real question here is: Is one shot worth it?

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
JasperSmith Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Will a shot of whiskey count as drinking? - February 25th 2012, 08:26 PM

Hello Brook
If you have an alcohol abuse problem then you should know that just on'shot" can turn in to another 'shot' and then into even more and more. I am sure that you know that 'one shot' is a drink or is considered drinking.Its great that you have been clean for a year congratulations!! Keep it up and stay clean until you can learn to use alcohol in a safe way. I hope everything works out for you.

Don't tell me the sky is the limit,When there are footprints on the moon

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Alisha

Re: Will a shot of whiskey count as drinking? - February 25th 2012, 09:26 PM

I've had some time to think about this and one shot isn't worth it because deep down I know that I will start getting out of control after that one shot. Thank you for the advice everyone I really appreciate it!

Everthing I see seems to be a lie. And everything you see in me you think is the truth. But, really all you see is what I'm masking the real me with. You never see me cry. Because I'll never let you. And you'll never see me die because I feel like I already have in a way.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Will a shot of whiskey count as drinking? - February 25th 2012, 09:54 PM

I'm really glad you made that decision. (: I was going to say the fact tht you're asking us about it means you probably weren't sure, and if it caused you to do anything you'd regret it probably wouldn't be worth it. Best of luck!!x

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: Will a shot of whiskey count as drinking? - February 27th 2012, 05:29 PM

Some people can certainly run into problems with drinking, to answer your question one shot is considered drinking. Drinking socially is not a problem however when you rely on a substance to fix your everyday problems you've now just created a bigger hole. Often times the underlying issue that "drives you to drink" is never fixed because either your afraid to face it or something else along those lines.

If you feel as though you would abuse alcohol then stay away from it, when your friend offers it to you simply say no. I'd also make a point to mention that you'd like them to stop offering because its not helping your case. Hiding issues from your parents isn't a good idea long term. Sure they'll nip the problem in the bud and you'll feel over whelmed but after sometime you'll notice they had your best interest in mind.

Closed Thread