TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
B.O.T.E Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Straight Edge - April 1st 2009, 05:58 AM

Hey!

I thought this might be a good thread, you know if people are wondering about drugs that they know there is an alternative.

Straight Edge is a lifestyle. No alcohol, no tobacco, no drugs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_edge

I became straight edge because the life of excess never interested me. I tried beer when I was 15, and just felt I could do better.

Its not easy being straight edge where Im from. Its pretty lonely as not too many people are. I like the fact that im different though. I still go to bars because most of my frineds are drunks lol, but i feel good knowing Im in control of my mind and life, that I dont need to get drunk or stoned to have fun. I feel good being a role model for the kids I work with.

Basically, I love being Straight Edge. It has its ups and downs, but In the end, its the best way I can live my life!!

So I ask, why are you straight edge? What inspires you? What keeps you going?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Straight Edge - April 1st 2009, 06:06 AM

I guess I could be considered straight edge. I don't drink and I don't smoke and I don't do drugs, but I never thought "I'm going to be Straight Edge as a lifestyle". I just don't do those things because they don't interest me and I think it's gross. I don't dislike anyone who DOES do those things but it's just not for me. I think smoking and drugs and being drunk all the time is stupid. So I don't do them.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Pending...Work in progess
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: Straight Edge - April 1st 2009, 08:49 PM

I want to become straight edge because of my health. I quit liquor and durgs and I feel much better as a person, but I'm still in the recovering stage so I can't stand to be around drunks or druggies, regardless if they are full-time/part-time/weekend. Last time I had a tabacco product was last night, it was a big cigar, my last customer on the phone took 30 minutes to tell her that I could not help her and I lashed out at her several times, so at the end of the call I was pretty flustered and needed a cigar. I'm trying to stop tobacco products, I want to live much longer than 50 and I don't want to lie with lung cancer or a brain tumor.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Straight Edge - April 4th 2009, 07:34 PM

I could never in my life be straight edge because I believe doing drugs for me atleast gives me a wonderful and eye opening experience. It takes me to a different world for a little while and I learn from it. But I think it's great that you guys chose to be straight edge. If it makes you happy, go ahead and live that lifestyle

(#5 (permalink)) Old
cchheellsseeaa Offline
<3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chelsea

Re: Straight Edge - April 4th 2009, 10:29 PM

i was straight edge...once.
but thats a long story anyway
i was just going to say that some peoples form of straight edge-ism also includes no promiscuous sex if i remember correctly.....

So, is that what you call a getaway?
Tell me what you got away with.
Cause I've seen more spine in jellyfish.
I've seen more guts in eleven-year-old kids.
Have another drink and drive yourself home.
I hope there's ice on all the roads.
And you can think of me when you forget your seatbelt,
and again when your head goes through the windshield.
  Send a message via MSN to cchheellsseeaa  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: Straight Edge - April 4th 2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
People who are straight edge do not smoke, do drugs or consume alcohol. There are no dietary or religious beliefs tied to straight edge contrary to media coverage.
This life style is for some people while other can lead a happy life of moderate alcohol and drug consumption. Still others become addicted to these substances and that is why I highly recommend a drug free existence to everyone. I myself aspire to be drug free one day but I'm still getting there. Bottom lie drugs don't make you cool, they are a lot of heartache, they distort your sense of happiness by providing you with false sense of euphoria, and they aren't something you want in your life. Seriously consider the negative consequences of what you're doing before starting down the road to drug use, drug abuse, and inevitably drug addiction. If anyone is thinking about trying drugs please PM me. I will try my best to talk you out of it. I can't tell you how much better my life would've been if I just said no to begin with. Think about what your doing and take care.

Lots of love <3 Mimi

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
B.O.T.E Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Straight Edge - April 5th 2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchheellsseeaa View Post
i was straight edge...once.
but thats a long story anyway
i was just going to say that some peoples form of straight edge-ism also includes no promiscuous sex if i remember correctly.....

That is true, most "straight edgers"(not all however) believe that sex belongs in a commited relationship.

Basically a philosophy/life-choice that humans should have strength, pride, dignity, honor, and self respect; that they shouldn't engage in activities that are a disgrace to their minds and bodies.(What is your view on being disgraceful to your minds and bodies is your own opinion, some may not see eye to eye with you)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
primus diddy Offline
Average Joe

Name: Mike

Re: Straight Edge - April 5th 2009, 04:10 PM

I thought it actually just meant that those things aren't a regular part of your life. I believe the band Minor Threat was one of the biggest that touted themselves as straight edge and advocated the life style, but you would often see them with beers on the stage.

Me? There's a place for both lifestyles in my life. I just try to live my life morally, so I try not to drink so much that it will compromise that. I drink fairly rarely as well. Usually not more than once a month or so. I smoke pot once in a while, but it has never done much for me, so it's mostly about the communion. I smoke a pipe once every couple weeks or so too.

Everything in moderation.

Searching my heart for its true sorrow,
This is the thing I find it to be:
That I am weary of words and people,
Sick of the city, wanting the sea;

Wanting the sticky, salty sweetness
Of the strong wind and shattered spray;
Wanting the loud sound and the soft sound
Of the big surf that breaks all day.

-Exiled, Edna St. Vincent Millay

(#9 (permalink)) Old
NuHalo Offline
Strength.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Shaun

Re: Straight Edge - April 5th 2009, 07:54 PM

I think being straight edge is a good 'philosophy' to live by. There aren't really any physical downfalls at all, and life is definaely still enjoyable without any of those substances. ^^

I am not straight edge personally, I do enjoy a drink every now and then. Socially, with friends. At a bar or at home while playing games etc. And yes, I do get drunk as well on rare occasions.

Click here to PM me any time, I'm here to help you if you want to talk to someone.

Beware lest you lose the substance, by grasping at the shadow. - The Dog and the Shadow, Aesop
  Send a message via MSN to NuHalo  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Straight Edge - April 5th 2009, 08:43 PM

It seems like a nice concept, however, having a few beers a few times per month or alcohol during some big celebration (i.e. wedding) seems fine to me. Suppose you get married, have a nice big fancy marriage and such, then later, your wife and friends want to have a party or if you go on your honey-moon, you don't even touch a single alcoholic beverage. Wouldn't that be rather odd, especially if the wife does want to?

If it's in moderation and not done too often then I don't see a big problem.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Trickmatic Offline
-
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Straight Edge - April 5th 2009, 09:14 PM

I wouldn't consider myself straight edge, as I do consume alcohol a few times a year. I really think it's a great lifestyle choice, though, since the body does not need all those substances to live.

I have to say to the original poster, that I think it's great you brought the topic up, because society does not form a very "straight edge" picture.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Straight Edge - April 5th 2009, 09:21 PM

I don't think I'd go straight edge, I mean I don't really drink that much and I don't smoke or do drugs but I don't want to deny myself of never drinking. Does this straight edge mean you can't have prescription drugs or caffeine either?

(#13 (permalink)) Old
B.O.T.E Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Straight Edge - April 5th 2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Ghost View Post
I don't think I'd go straight edge, I mean I don't really drink that much and I don't smoke or do drugs but I don't want to deny myself of never drinking. Does this straight edge mean you can't have prescription drugs or caffeine either?

Some people say that taking medications is not straightedge, however, others will argue that sXe(another term for straight edge) is all about taking care of yourself, and refusing legitimate medications is counter-productive to the general ideology.

As for caffeine most straight edgers seem to feel that caffeine is not an issue, whilst some do. So you can't really say that taking it is or isn't straight edge. Like a lot of straight edge, it's more about what you feel is right for you, rather than trying to adhere to some strict set of rules. It all comes down to the individual

(#14 (permalink)) Old
B.O.T.E Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Straight Edge - April 5th 2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
It seems like a nice concept, however, having a few beers a few times per month or alcohol during some big celebration (i.e. wedding) seems fine to me. Suppose you get married, have a nice big fancy marriage and such, then later, your wife and friends want to have a party or if you go on your honey-moon, you don't even touch a single alcoholic beverage. Wouldn't that be rather odd, especially if the wife does want to?

If it's in moderation and not done too often then I don't see a big problem.
I am straight edge, but my girlfriend is not.

She doesnt drink around me, its a respect thing ( I never asked for this, she made that promise to me). That doesnt mean she doesnt drink at all, but when Im around she doesnt.

She knows im sXe and that it means a lot to me, she respects my life as I do for her's.

Closed Thread